Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lifting a C4

SJLJ

Corvette
1995 Yellow LT1 Coupe
'95 coupe

I'm getting new tires and I seem to remember some comments about how to lift the car without %$#&* something up. If they don't use a lift, how about when they jack it up? Any concerns there? Any suggestions or has anyone had a problem in this area? It's a Firestone dealership and they've been around for awhile but...

If they use the cars jacking points there should be no problem. I would however have them open the clamshell first.

Len:w

I also take the measure of opening the windows and hatch along with the clamshell.

Being in business for a long time doesn't make them competent. I had new tires put on mine in Feb and they managed to break 2 wheel sensors and dent the floor pans. This is after I warned them in advance of the possible damage if not done properly. This was a Goodyear dealership that had been in business for years. For the most part people that are doing the work in most tire stores are the dregs of the mechanic world. I had to take them to small claims court to get the my damage claim paid. Good luck.

thanks guys. I knew I'd heard something about it. I'll show'm all the replys and hi-lite the one about small claims court. Maybe I'll just sit in it while they do it.
I could just take the wheels to them and remount them myself.

Sam L said:
thanks guys. I knew I'd heard something about it. I'll show'm all the replys and hi-lite the one about small claims court. Maybe I'll just sit in it while they do it.

Thats what I do! If someones going to tear it up, it's going to be ME!:lou

Sam L said:

The chances are that they will not let you in the service bay while they are working on your car. Insurance policies pretty much prevent customers from shop areas.

If you imply that you will go to court (any court) if anything goes wrong, they may very well refuse to work on your car at all.

Taking the wheels and tires to them sound like the best deal if you really have misgivings about having somebody work on your car. And I personally would not take any car I own to Firestone for any sort of work.

This is the risk you take when you bring your car in for anything. This is why garages have insurance, so if something happens they are covered for claims. All businesses have insurance, and I agree with c4cruiser, if you march in there waving a printout about small claims court they will show you the door tout de suite. Tire store employees deal with tires day in and day out, they generally know what they're doing, and trust me they've worked on corvettes before. No need to pop the hood or crack the windows, the car will be just fine, it's designed to flex like all cars.

Thank you Tyrel. :upthumbs

There usually is no need for opening hoods, windows, or anything else. The car was designed to be lifted with everything in place.

If it's my C-4 I take the wheels off and take them in. Even if I can only take 1 or 2 at a time. If you do it removes 1 possible screw up. You will still be lucky if they don't scratch up the wheels while changing them. Just my $.02.

Mike

I changed the tires myself just recently after having my mags"rebuffed",it was no big deal.I lifted one wheel at a time and put it on blocks.I didn't leave anything open and I left it on wood blocks for a week or so.There seems to be no damage done and no "extra pieces".My biggest concern was damaging the little plastic "lip" that covers the lift points but I was careful.
I think anyone who causes damage is a result of negligence or hurry.
Just my 2 cents(Can.).....................:w

I've lifted my car many times. I never thought to open hood, windows, etc. so I never have. I don't raise to full height on the first pass. I don't want to put too much stress on so I'll raise it up in each location slow and then go back around once or twice more depending on how high I need it. Do watch out for the rocker panel close to the jack point. Sometimes one of the rear wheels will lift when I'm just jacking the front end up - rigid frame.

I took my wheels off and took them to a "very experienced" tire shop, asked them to be very careful to not damage the wheels and they still came back with new dents and scratches! :mad

Also have them do a high speed dynamic balance with the new tires and distribute the weights inside the wheel well using "sticky weights". This made a HUGE difference in my car after I had this done. It went from very shaky at 70mph to rock solid after the balancing.

and that's my $0.02

Chet

Chetzki said:
... distribute the weights inside the wheel well using "sticky weights".
And don't forget to use some "racer's tape" (duct tape) over the weights to help prevent losing them. ;)

I just finished the instalation of my hiost and the vette was the test vehicle:W . With my hoist came a book of jacking locations for every car . In the vettes manual is a pic and instructions for lifting points. This is a full frame car. Lift it in the right spot and there will be no problems. I had mine up on stands for six months when doing the suspension . You can jack each corner individually. If you want it quite high do it gradually at each corner with the jack stands.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom