Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

lights wont turn off

billa

Corvette
Hi all I have picked up a 87 late November this is my first , I am having trouble with the lights in the door panels they wont stay off. is there a fix for this or do i have to replace them if so where can i get them?

I think I know what you mean. I had the same issue when I first got my 89. Try pressing on the light cover. It should turn the light on and off. (The light goes on automatically when the door is open.)
:D

ps are you near schuylkill county in pa?

no I am in eastern pa when i push in it clicks but wont turn off and if I get it to when I close the door it pops on again

Welcome to CAC. :w

Is the switch still in the door jamb? Do any other interior lights stay on?

Hi all I have picked up a 87 late November this is my first , I am having trouble with the lights in the door panels they wont stay off. is there a fix for this or do i have to replace them if so where can i get them?

NOW HEAR THIS!!!
i spent in excess of 500 bucks for the same problem
it turned out be pilot error
i wasnt returning the door lock to its full upright position.
make sure the key is vertical when you remove it

Each door panel light does have a switch that lets them operate independently as map lights. Its possible each switch is faulty but its also unlikely that both would fail at the same time. The switches themselves can be repaired or upgraded.http://corvette1984.freewebtools.com/DIRECTORIES/REPAIRS/ReadingLampRepair/RLRepair.html

Are your other interior lights functioning? The door map lights,footwell lights and sail panel /hatch lights are also controlled by the headlight switch. The headlight switch knob when turned has a setting to keep the interior lights on at all times.

Since it shuts off then comes back on its likely the interior light delay timer. If it failed its over $100 to replace if you can find it. However, it can be bypassed so the lights just shut off when you close the doors. Its simply jumping a wire in the harness under the dash on the passenger side. There is a thread on here somewhere. I really need to add that fix to my website!

:w

Each door panel light does have a switch that lets them operate independently as map lights. Its possible each switch is faulty but its also unlikely that both would fail at the same time. The switches themselves can be repaired or upgraded.http://corvette1984.freewebtools.com/DIRECTORIES/REPAIRS/ReadingLampRepair/RLRepair.html

Are your other interior lights functioning? The door map lights,footwell lights and sail panel /hatch lights are also controlled by the headlight switch. The headlight switch knob when turned has a setting to keep the interior lights on at all times.

Since it shuts off then comes back on its likely the interior light delay timer. If it failed its over $100 to replace if you can find it. However, it can be bypassed so the lights just shut off when you close the doors. Its simply jumping a wire in the harness under the dash on the passenger side. There is a thread on here somewhere. I really need to add that fix to my website!

:w

Thank you the passenger side was not working when I bought the car there is cardboard stuck in the light to keep it off. The driver side just started to fail so I stuck some cardboard in there for a tem fix but I like to see everything working properly

yes i thing it is the switch in the lights

Are the switches a dealer item?

:eek:hnoes NOOOOOO!!!! HELL NOOOOO! Find a local auto-electric repair shop in your area that has worked on vettes before. They will be able to fix your problem much cheaper than a dealer. :thumb

thanks do you think will NAPA have the switch i am sure i can install it

thanks do you think will NAPA have the switch i am sure i can install it

Take it out, and see if there are any identifiable marks. Then do a search on the net, and see what happens. You could also call napa with that number perhaps.

NOW HEAR THIS!!!
i spent in excess of 500 bucks for the same problem
it turned out be pilot error
i wasnt returning the door lock to its full upright position.
make sure the key is vertical when you remove it

I just had the problem on my '91 ZR-1 and I found out that the door lock was inclined of about 20°. Put it back to vertical, all fixed. Thank you!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom