Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lining up? opti and pulley?

MusclecarJohn

Corvette
'92 arctic white coupe
Hey again everyone, I have a dumb question, when we replace the balancer and optispark how do we 'line up' the crank pulley? I ask because we removed the pulley/ hub assembly in order to replace timing cover gaskets etc. but were we supposed to mark the pulley or something? and also on the new opti, or does it only go on one way? we haven't gotten to reassembly yet but just needed to ask

The Crank hub/pulley orientation really doesn't matter (hub is neutrally balanced and no timing marks)

Opti only goes one way.....

Cool, Thanks aboatguy

The Crank hub/pulley orientation really doesn't matter (hub is neutrally balanced and no timing marks)

Oh but it dose matter,and it is marked!!:ugh:ugh:ugh
Crank to Hub should be Woodruff Keyed and only go on 1 way,Hub to Pulley has a arrow on the hub and a small triangle or dot on face of pulley!!(Pulley can go on 3 ways,But only 1 way is right!):thumb:thumb:thumb

If you put the pulley on 120* out,You may or may not have a Harmonic Vibration from Hell!!;shrug;shrug;shrug
Some do,Some Don't!!:L:L:L

:D

attachment.php

OK Junk, I need not worry about the hub to pulley because the whole pulley with hub permanently attached to it came off the crank So Junk, you're saying the pulley/hub assembly will only go on to the crank one way, the right way :)

OK Junk, I need not worry about the hub to pulley because the whole pulley with hub permanently attached to it came off the crank So Junk, you're saying the pulley/hub assembly will only go on to the crank one way, the right way :)
The long woodruff key that go's through the lower timing gear go's into the hub also!!:thumb
Never seen a Factory LT1/LT4 Hub and Pulley made in 1 piece, are you sure it don't have 3 bolts in it??;shrug;shrug;shrug

92 Pictured below!:thumb
attachment.php

Oh yeah, sorry about that, I just remembered it coming off the crank as one piece.. forgot about it being 2 piece :eyerole
Thanks for the pics and schematics Junk

The opti and the shaft which drives the opti have what I'll call a master spline--so it will only go on one way correctly. However I've seen more then one thread where someone has used the bolts to "seat" the opti--resulting in a no start and/or trashing the opti. You should be able to seat the opti flush against the timing cover using the pressure of your hand only. Just FYI :thumb

Thanks for the help twisterup,
I guess I'm more used to the
conventional dizzys that we used to have to install a certain position
or the ignition timing would be off

Wrong on both counts, 92-93 opti's do not have anything to line up the rotor and even though the hub is neutrally balanced, it goes on a certain way.
You should have marked the opti and hub when taking off these parts.

The opti and the shaft which drives the opti have what I'll call a master spline--so it will only go on one way correctly. However I've seen more then one thread where someone has used the bolts to "seat" the opti--resulting in a no start and/or trashing the opti. You should be able to seat the opti flush against the timing cover using the pressure of your hand only. Just FYI :thumb
Correct!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Wrong on both counts, 92-93 opti's do not have anything to line up the rotor and even though the hub is neutrally balanced, it goes on a certain way.
You should have marked the opti and hub when taking off these parts.

Better tear one down and Look again dude!!:thumb

92-94 have a splined shaft with 1 double wide spline,95-96 have a little different set up!!
93 pictured below, Zoom in on the opti,you should be able to see it about 10 O'clock,Unless your blind!:L:L:L

attachment.php

attachment.php

I see what you're sayin Junk, Thanks for all the replies you guys
and the nice big pics help alot, Thanks

However I've seen more then one thread where someone has used the bolts to "seat" the opti--resulting in a no start and/or trashing the opti. You should be able to seat the opti flush against the timing cover using the pressure of your hand only. Just FYI :thumb

Like this??:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

DSCF0006.jpg

When I replaced my opti, never saw the double wide groove.
I have got to get glasses!!

When I replaced my opti, never saw the double wide groove.
I have got to get glasses!!
If it was up on TDC like shown in my first photo,a New GM Opti would slip right on with No problem,there Indexed to #1 and come with a new splined shaft too!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

No, I just took the cap off and marked the rotor location and put the new one on using my mark. Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom