Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Locking lug nuts eliminated on 04?

8t7vette

Corvette
8T7 Black Z52 Coupe GreenWood gfx & 1994 Coupe
My buddy that received his 04 vert last week mentioned he couldn't locate a key for the wheels in the glove box or in the compartments in back. I took a look at the wheels and there was no locking lug nut, just 5 chrome lug nuts. These are the polished wheels and the center cap is just a center cap and is not the cap that covers the lug hole area with the "fake" lugs.
His 01 vert had a key and locking lug nuts on it. Did GM eliminate the wheel keys in 04? Or is it an option or a dealer installed option? Or did one of the dealers "borrow" the wheel locks(the 04 was transferred from a GA dealer)?
Thanks
Toby

My 99 had the locking lugs but my 02 didn't. I was told that was the year they stopped supplying them. I was quite surprised although I realise that anyone wanting the rims could do so easily with or without the locks. That didn't sit well with me so for peace of mind I bought the locks aftermarket. I would prefer they took the whole car rather than see my "baby" violated.

yeah, those locking nuts are pretty much a joke anyway. with only one lug locking, you can take off the other 4, and break the 5th one off the car. If you really want your wheels, you need at least 2 locking nuts per wheel... if you do all 5 of the nuts, i don't think anyone would ever bother even trying to steal them.

8t7vette said:
My buddy that received his 04 vert last week mentioned he couldn't locate a key for the wheels in the glove box or in the compartments in back. I took a look at the wheels and there was no locking lug nut, just 5 chrome lug nuts. These are the polished wheels and the center cap is just a center cap and is not the cap that covers the lug hole area with the "fake" lugs.
His 01 vert had a key and locking lug nuts on it. Did GM eliminate the wheel keys in 04? Or is it an option or a dealer installed option? Or did one of the dealers "borrow" the wheel locks(the 04 was transferred from a GA dealer)?
Thanks
Toby
The locking nuts were eliminated about mid-way into the 2002 model year when the chrome nuts were installed on all three models of the Vette. Even the Z06 recieved the new nuts.

vettepilot

get the locks!

The previous owner of my 99 had the wheels/tires stolen while his vette was at a GM dealership being serviced. A fender and rocker panel were also damaged and replaced as a result of the theft. Contact GM to get the scoop on where they might be if indeed they are provided. If they are no longer provided by all means get them as soon as possible.

8t7vette said:
Thanks
Toby
I've got a two month old 2004 coupe and it came with locking lug nuts. I think they came from the dealer, not from GM, tho. (Stanford Chevy in Dearborn Michigan). Not that they'll stop a determined thief, but it may slow down the casual "target of opportunity" browser.

HTH

Jim

My '04 Z06 did not come with them. I did buy some from Chevrolet and put them on.

-Dave C. '04 Z06

I'm with FmrMarauder.........locking lugs on mine...........

My 99 had the locking lugs, but my 04 dodn't. I really think they just slow down a wheel thief, not stop them. I'm glad the 04 dosen't have the locks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom