Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

long delayed photos

John Mcgraw

Corvette
1960 Roman red, 1959 resto-rod, 1965 resto-rod
Guys,
I am sorry for being so late getting some finished pics posted of the 59. I have just been working so many hours that I just never got around to it.
I have been driving it quite a bit, and have most of the bugs worked out. I am probably going to pull the exhaust system off next week and change the slip joint bands over to welded flanges, and will probably change over to some Hushpower II mufflers while I am at it. I have got used to the exhaust, but it is still pretty loud when you stick your foot in it. I really don't need to draw that much attention to myself. At 60 MPH in OD, the motor is only turning about 1400 rpm, and the exhaust noise is acceptable, but any serious acceleration will draw the attention to the boys in blue.
As expected, the 245 tires are completely insufficient for any serious application of throttle below about 30 MPH, anything below that will just light the tires up and make the rear end skate around a little. These are the largest that will fit under the wells, so I am just going to have to learn to live with them. I am starting to get the hang of how much right leg I can stick into it without breaking it loose, and the car is a blast to drive! It carves up the curvy roads like a go-cart, and the ride is pretty good. I had to raise coilovers up about 3/4" after the first few visits to my local gas station, and hitting the frame on the steep approach ramp. The car sure looked good down in the weeds, but as the pics show, it still looks OK.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=339303

Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year,
John McGraw

John
even having seen pics of the car plenty times before, everytime I see more pics all i can say to myself is "D*MN, that is one beautiful car!!"
This thing is pure art. Your fabrication skills and talent are unbelievable and it shows down to the tiniest details. :beer

Now, can you make me one just like it for xmas??!! :D

What a beautiful car! What brand and "color" paint did you use? I'm thinking of changing the color of my car to red when it gets painted.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments!

Larry,
The paint is PPG DCC, commonly known as "Concept", and is Dodge Viper Red. It is a single-stage urethane paint and is not a basecoat/clearcoat. I like single stage because it is almost as easy as lacquer to touch up, and is very durable. I have had to touch it up several times already, and the repairs are invisible. The flourscent lights really skew the color, and it is a lot deeper red out in the sun. I started out with several reds in the final decision, and sprayed a sample panel of each. Porsche Guards Red, and GM Victory Red were close runner-ups, but the Viper Red just POPS in the sunlight!

Regards, John McGraw

John it looks absolutely fabulous! What a beautiful job from body to motor to interior. It all comes together so well. Sits real nice too. I bet its just as impressive from the under side too.

John

The cars is outstanding,congradulations on an exceptional job.
I have said it before and I will say it again,you are a true craftsman and it shows thru out From the hand made hood plates,to the hand made heat and a/c control panel,custom dash cluster.right down to the polished stainless steel fastners.

Great job and i hope you enjoy driving as much as i am sure you enjoyed building it.

Know as for your mufflers,I know sound is purely a personal taste.But I hate the hush power mufflers I have on my car.

I feel they are too loud at idel
too restrictive under acellerations.all you here is a swooshing noise
and sound like a 50'S led sled

I almost forgot,as for the ride it cant be beat.Drives like my wifes C5 only with more punch.

that short rack takes a little while to learn.But once you get used to it every thing else you drive feels like a truck

Absolutely gorgeous, John. Chuck

Hi! John M.

So that is what a Corvette should look like when we follow your advise, more lessons please. What a great looking car!

Ray

That is one sweet vette. Fantastic job and a big thank you from us on all those clear pictures. My wife happened to see the screen while I was viewing your pics and it stopped her dead in her tracks and she said "That is one beautiful looking vette" then she had me go over the pics again so she could see them. Congratulations, definately a showpiece to be very proud of. Your hard work and talent really shows and inspires others to restore these classics. :upthumbs .

John,

You have done a fantastic job on this vette. As others have said, your work is exemplary and faultless.

After watching your progress with this car and the stunning final result, it makes me want to build a Vette Rod too!

Very impressive! Congratulations!

Take care,
Brian

I can only say...job very well done....and certainly INSPIRATIONAL!!!!! For those of us that are working on our cars.....you as well as the others on here that post your work are truely inspirational to us that aspire. I also want to thank you and everyone else for the support and sharing of your wisdom and experience...it is really making a difference.......thanks again to you and everyone else....regards, Herb

67HEAVEN said:
G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S :eek

Outstanding quality and craftsmanship, John.
Yes Sir.!!!That is One Outrageously Fine Vette!!:J :J :J junk!!

JL66REDCPE said:
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me Too......................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man.. That is some Beautiful Crafsmanship..!!!! You are to be commended.. You are a Credit To Our Hobby and our Passion.... Every time I see a Corvette built and worked on by it's owner such as yourself and ... Larry (IHTLOSE) .Rich Lagasse ..Stepinwolf ..67 Heaven and many others here... I get a nice warm Glow...

Congrats....:beer

Looks fantastic, John - a real testimonial to your fabrication skills and attention to detail! :)

:lou

John,

Just fabulous work in all respects. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing the progress pictures on the C2 as well.

The pictures did raise two questions though:

1. Is it important to do a body drop with your shoes off......? :D

2. Your shop is too clean - are you sure you actually do any work in there...? :L

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

Rich Lagasse

Yep, shoeless is the only way to go! I have got to recoat the floor again now that the 59 is done. I did not get complete coverage with the plastic, when I shot the red, and there are several places with red urethane overspray all over the floor. I got over 2 years out of this coat of epoxy, so If I only have to recoat every 2-3 years, I can live with that! I have learned my lesson about welding on top of the epoxy, I don't care how many welding blankets you use, you still burn the floor with the little welding spatters. All welding will now be done in the other garage, until I get it coated this spring, and then it will be done outside. I can't help it if I am a neat freak!
Rich, now that you are completely done with grinding your welds with a rotary file, I found a neat tool that makes short work of these weld fillets. Dynabrade makes a contact arm for their dynafile II belt sander that gets right down in there like a champ! It is a contact wheel that is about 1.5" in diameter and is about 3/8" thick with a 3/8 convex radius on the edge of the wheel. You just push the contact wheel down in the weld, and the belt just conforms to the fillet. It sure beats the hell out of rotary files and sandpaper sleeves.

Regards, John McGraw

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom