Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

long delayed photos

From a person who thought he had a nice C2, I can only marvel and be humbled by that car.

vetteman64 said:
Hi John
Your car looks fantastic, I had 2 questions regarding your 59 and my 59 hybrid. You answered the one regarding the rear fenders being factory. I was curious why you made the cutouts in the trunk for the exhaust pipes. Was this due to the frame or your exhaust pipe diameter or ??? I am in the bodywork stage, not thinking about the exhaust yet, but I want to try the hushpower mufflers and the largest diameter pipes that will fit through the factory "body tubes" in the rear. Any idea how close the pipes can be to the "body tubes"?
My cars colors are the opposite of yours, white with red coves and red interior.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59

Joseph,
The cut outs in the trunk are to clear the rear frame tubes where they turn downward toward the rear crossmember. I believe that Mike could rework his jig to make the turn eariler and avoid having the clearance "humps".

My first thought were to exit out the bumpers as well, but the design of the frame made it very difficult to bend the pipes in a manner that would exit out of them. If I had it to do again, I would have completely deleted the spare tire well and tucked the pipes up higher and frenched the outlets in the rear valance. They would have looked better than hanging underneath.
I am still undiced what to do with the openings in the rear bumpers. I am either going to just fabricate a flat-black plate to block it off, or am going to have a LED array made to fit them that will give additional brake lights. I would also probably drop down to 2" pipes, as the 2.5" pipes were really tight to run.

Regards, John McGraw

I just recently completed an SR111 frame under a 1962,and as John suggest

If I had it to do again, I would have completely deleted the spare tire well
At first I did not want to remove the entire spare tire tub as I did not know where I would get a plate to cover that large hole left from the spare tire tub, Finally I purchased a used fiberglass pickup truck cap and cut a section out of that to use as a repair peice.

I would also probably drop down to 2" pipes, as the 2.5" pipes were really tight to run. John also suggested to me to run 2" I ordered 2" but recived 2.5" I figured it was meant to be that I have the larger excaust and installed it.I have to tell you it just barely fits. I used a kit from the company that makes the hush tones. It was alot of fabricaion and welding but every pipe bend that I needed was in the kit,I just had to section them to make it work. When I was building my exchaust I just tacked every thing in place and then put it on tthe floor of the garage for my son to run a bead around it.Go for the 2" it will leave more room for clearances

superb craftsmanship

Would the 2" exhaust (which is really 1 7/8", if you use the stock exhaust pipes from Corvette Central, I believe), be too restrictive for your high HP engines? Or would this be a minimal HP loss?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom