Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

look what i found, not good ????

chevy6673

Corvette
1973 Corvette ,1966 ss impala
question for you paid wrenches , or anyone,, just a weekend wrench here .got this project car (75 vette) in august,, just looked at rear end dont no what made me do that ,but theres a plate under the pig it has two blots going thought on back side where 1 blot screws into is broke its about a 1 inch piece looks like its part of the rearend cover is that true ..and i am working on brakes. is car ok to drive,, leaf sping between plate and pig..how hard is this to fix THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP . mike

Is it one of the bolts that hold the differential to the frame, or it is a bolt that holds the rear monospring to the differential? Im not sure how hard it is to change the bolt. If its just a bolt( with a nut), go to a hardware store and get a new one. If its a bolt thats screws into the rearend, if you cant grip it with a visegrip or wrench, get a bolt extractor. You drill a hole in the bolt, and screw the extractor into the hole you drilled. You screw it in, the extractor is reverse threaded so as you screw it in (like your loosening a bolt) the extractor digs in and pulls it out. They're pretty cool. They work almost every time, the only problem is gettin the drill in there. Depending in where the bolt is, you might have to move some things out of the way. Hopefully you wont need to remove the monospring, thats where it gets time consuming.
Best Wishes
zachh

Is it one of the bolts that hold the differential to the frame, or it is a bolt that holds the rear monospring to the differential? Im not sure how hard it is to change the bolt. If its just a bolt( with a nut), go to a hardware store and get a new one. If its a bolt thats screws into the rearend, if you cant grip it with a visegrip or wrench, get a bolt extractor. You drill a hole in the bolt, and screw the extractor into the hole you drilled. You screw it in, the extractor is reverse threaded so as you screw it in (like your loosening a bolt) the extractor digs in and pulls it out. They're pretty cool. They work almost every time, the only problem is gettin the drill in there. Depending in where the bolt is, you might have to move some things out of the way. Hopefully you wont need to remove the monospring, thats where it gets time consuming.
Best Wishes
zachh
ITS THE ONE THAT HOLDS THE MONOSPRING TO THE DIFFERENTIAL THE BOLT IS OK,THE PART IT GOES INTO IS BROKE OFF

LOOKS LIKE THERE ARE NUBS WITH THREADS IN THEM,, LOOKS LIKE THEY COULD BE PART OF DIFF COVER???????????? IS THIS TRUE

most likely the differential cover, you can get them thru VB&P one of our sponsers

Pretty common for the diffrential cover to crack at the spring mount. Get a heavy duty one Muskegon Brake

Pretty common for the diffrential cover to crack at the spring mount. Get a heavy duty one Muskegon Brake

You don't really need the "heavy-duty" cover; 99% of them that have an ear broken off are that way because the last guy who installed a rear spring didn't follow the Shop Manual procedure and torqued those four bolts with the car up in the air instead of just snugging them, then torquing them with the car on wheels. :eyerole

You don't really need the "heavy-duty" cover; 99% of them that have an ear broken off are that way because the last guy who installed a rear spring didn't follow the Shop Manual procedure and torqued those four bolts with the car up in the air instead of just snugging them, then torquing them with the car on wheels. :eyerole
this is good to no , is the car ok to drive with one ear broken off mainly test drive after fixing brakes..

this is good to no , is the car ok to drive with one ear broken off mainly test drive after fixing brakes..
I won't say yes, BUT I drove my 11Kmile white 79 home 1000 miles after purchase only to put it up on the hoist to find one of the 4 polts missing! Nothing broken but who knows when over the last 27 years it fell out? Mike.....yikes!
missbolt.jpg

Yeah it's a common problem as John said of not following procedure on loading the rear spring. I have used the HD covers a several jobs and they are a quality product so it comes down to buying a used original or new muskegon- about $50 difference.
Gary

I won't say yes, BUT I drove my 11Kmile white 79 home 1000 miles after purchase only to put it up on the hoist to find one of the 4 polts missing! Nothing broken but who knows when over the last 27 years it fell out? Mike.....yikes!
missbolt.jpg
thanks ,for the picture neighbor

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom