Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for a light wieght a/c compressor to replace a A6.

T

tomsgota724spd

I have a 72 base 350 with a/c. The original A6 compressor is siezed. I'm looking to restore the a/c and save some wieght. I've considered the R4 because of it's light wieght, size and bracketry availability. I've heard that the R4 can be noisy and unreliable. Would like to fit a sanden or similiar compressor. The only reason that I'm looking to loose wieght is for autoXing. Does anyone know of a company that has a kit for updating the original system.

Stay away from the R4, it leaks, BAD. The Sanden makes a good swap. Check with any of the A/C retro fit companies such as Vintage Air. They should be able to supply the compressor and mounting brackets.

tom...

IMO, do the obvious, get a complete bracket kit from a vette junkyard or GM new, for a C4 vette say '88 up....they have the good compressors, and serp drive which should be a bolt on swap, you MAY get away with using the old hoses, even, but don't bet on it, you most likely will have to have a custom set made up, but the swap is well worth it....I think the alternator needs upgrading to a 70's caddy unit at 100+ amps output, bolt/plug in swap on the new brackets...and run an electric fan....

GENE

Thanks for the tips guys. All ideas will be considered.:w

Tom post what you decide to do. I'm looking at the complete aftermarket ac kits too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom