Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for a newer C4

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
I have an 85 with a 4+3 and am looking to buy a newer C4, am looking at a 91 with 71k miles or a 96 with 89k miles. both are under $16k. were these good years for the C4 ??

Gordon

The trick is to make sure the one you are looking at has had the opti-spark replaced. I have heard that tends to go bad.

I'm no expert but that is what I was told when looking at the 91 - 96 Vettes.

Happy hunting!!

Given the choice of the 91 and the 96...go for the 96. They were most definitely the best of the C4 generation. Just be sure to check it out thoroughly and try to get some good documentation on its maintenance.

Elaine

The trick is to make sure the one you are looking at has had the opti-spark replaced. I have heard that tends to go bad.

I'm no expert but that is what I was told when looking at the 91 - 96 Vettes.

Happy hunting!!
Opti's Get a bad Rap!!!I've worked on these cars for years and I've only had to replace 1 opti!! However I've repaired at least 100 that had been diagnosed with a bad Opti's at the dealership and was something else!!:upthumbs

I have an 85 with a 4+3 and am looking to buy a newer C4, am looking at a 91 with 71k miles or a 96 with 89k miles. both are under $16k. were these good years for the C4 ??

Gordon

PS. I have a purdy Nice 94 60,000 mile 6 sp car if your interested!!I've just marked it down to less than 15K!! The only c4 I have at the moment!!:cool

Having owned an ’86, ’93, ’94 and my current ’96, I have to say the ’96’s are the tightest screwed together C4s that were made.

C4 interiors were revamped in 1990, there were subtle design changes/refinements to the interior along the way, one of the biggest improvements to the interior was with the 1994 model year with the introduction of the Lear seats. The base seats were a big improvement comfort wise over the ’84-’93 seats IMHO. Stepping up the Sport seat option was icing on the cake. ’94-’96 Sport seats are some of the best seats put into a Corvette to this day. Look closely at the C6 seats, they resemble the C4’s ’94-’96 design.

If you autocross, ’84-’93 Sport seats will hold you in place pretty well, as far as comfort and support, the ’94-’96 seats are well designed.
If you are looking to stay with a manual, the ’96 will a mandate the LT4 engine option. The power of the LT4 will make you giggle. For an engine nearly 12 years old, it will surprise you, low 13 second quarter mile runs are a cakewalk for the LT4.

Wouldn’t worry about the Opti too much, the negative hype about them is overrated, really.

The ’91 with the L98 is a nice Corvette too! It may ride a little rougher than the ’96, but it has the updated front and rear bumpers and revised interior. ’91’s still lacked a passenger-side airbag. It may also be a little more prone to letting squeaks and rattles work their way into the cabin because the aggressive campaign to silence the interior seemed to be at it’s peak in the ’94-’96 model years.

With either car, documentation is important. Given the advances a ’96 would have over a ’91 wouldn’t mean anything if it wasn’t maintained!

A nice reference to have is the Corvette Black Book by Mike Antonick http://www.corvetteblackbook.com/

Good luck with your decision, keep us posted.

B17Crew
:w

Opti's Get a bad Rap!!!I've worked on these cars for years and I've only had to replace 1 opti!! However I've repaired at least 100 that had been diagnosed with a bad Opti's at the dealership and was something else!!:upthumbs

PS. I have a purdy Nice 94 60,000 mile 6 sp car if your interested!!I've just marked it down to less than 15K!! The only c4 I have at the moment!!:cool

That 94 of Junks' is a really nice one. I've driven it and road in it and would buy it in a minute if I was looking.....Better jump quick at that price because it won't be there long.
:beer:beer:w

That 94 of Junks' is a really nice one. I've driven it and road in it and would buy it in a minute if I was looking.....Better jump quick at that price because it won't be there long.
:beer:beer:w
I've also seen the car and it looked very clean.Good guys drive white.:w

Keep your 85, and mod the hell out of it. Your 85 will be faster than the 91, they used speed density, with mods you get less power, hence why they went back to MAF. Also the 85 looks better. Save your money and get a set of rims and exhaust, that will keep you busy.

As a current owner of both a 91 conv & a 96 LT4 all I can say its like comparing apples to oranges. 91 was the last year of the L98 engine so it does compare performance wise like the 92 & later LT motors. A 91 is more like a refined 85 that you already have. I would have to agree with all the above posts in everything else. My $.02 is..... buy the newest one you can afford, they get better every year. That being said, IMHO... the 96 is the best C4 for the buck.

Never planned on getting rid of the '85 since it was my first vette, I'm leaning towards the silver '96 collector edition. Will probably get it later this week.

Psssssssssssssst. 1991 Vette's DON'T HAVE Optis. That's only the 1992-96 LT1 and LT4 engine cars. ;)

Guess its a good thing Im looking, went out this am and found a 12'' round puddle of oil under the car. Just keeps getting better and better.

No the puddle of oil is under my '85, saw it this am and haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Is the 96 is a 6 speed?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom