Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for good tree sap remover.

1989 406

Corvette
1989 406
I always had success with Bug, Tar & Sap remover. I know my can is pretty old. Does that stuff go bad? I think it is Turtle Wax.

What are you guys using?

Thanks.

At the first cruise fest, there was a detailing seminar. My memory tells me that when this question was asked, the answer was 3M general purpose adhesive remover. This solvent was also used to completely strip the cars surface before a complete paint detail.

yep...because tree sap is resin and not an oil, many solvents and cleaners don't touch it. The strongest thinners and solvents are bad for the paint. I think Mostenblockers (home depot) has a product for sap but not sure it ifs ok on paint.
Trust me, do not use ANY form of degreaser on the paint...I was unaware of just how much those chemicals would pull the oils out of the paint (even epoxies)until I had sheets flaking off a repainted car after I washed it with some degreaser in the bucket.

I'd stick to the Turtle wax or 3m products, worst case some kerosene.

I always had success with Bug, Tar & Sap remover. I know my can is pretty old. Does that stuff go bad? I think it is Turtle Wax.

What are you guys using?

Thanks.

Try WD-40. It works and won't hurt paint.

Have you tried Clay Bar? That should take it off, as well as other impurities on the paint.

WD-40 definitely works! Spray a bit on a cloth then rub the resin spot, it will take it right off and not hurt the clear coat.

When all the resin is removed wash the area with dawn dish washing detergent, dry the area, then re apply your favorite polish or wax.

Try water...worked for me! After all it's called the "Universal Solvent."

Be careful with Dawn it will also dry out the paint because it has degreasing properties. The peanut butter works because of the oils in it but it can be abrasive. WD40 will work on some saps for same reason the peanut butter works the oils. Always start with the least aggressive product first. Plain water or a good car wash made for a automotive finish is a good staring point. Body shops use a prep solvent to clean all grease and oils before painting to make sure the panels are clean. Check with a local body shop they may be able to give you some to try.

T

Tree Sap

GoJo hand cleaner.Did a super bee 20 years ago and it did not hurt the paint.Took a little bit of elbow grease to go along with it but results were great:happyanim:

Sap remover

Honestly,
my house is covered with pine trees, and I constantly have sap droplets on my car, its black so it shows everything and ive tried everything. The best solution is HOT soapy water hands down, within 5 minutes if its dried to a crust.

-Sean

What are you guys using?

Thanks.
I detail autos for a Chevrolet dealership...I have used nothing but a clay-bar and a lubricant(any quick-shine product),,,it is effective and will not harm anything.

Not every thing that falls from trees is sap. Droppings from various arboreal insects could be mistaken for tree sap. I've had success on sap removal with warm water. Bug droppings...much tougher.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom