Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for some power steering help..

ryno

Corvette
1984 C4 A-team Vette
Hi guys. So, I just bought first Corvette. Its an 84 C4 in great shape but has no power steering at all.. I've replaced the power steering pump (and high pressure line.) filled and followed a general power steering bleeding procedure but as soon as I set the tires down it was obvious there was zero improvement. Still zero power steering. what am I missing here? All I can think is that either there is a special bleeding procedure I'm just unaware of or the rack and pinion is malfunctioning. I figured you guys here could probably spot my issue right away. any advice? thanks in advance

Last edited:
update

So I re-bled the system again today. With the wheels off the ground and the cap off I ran the wheels stop to stop 50 times and heard gurgle-ing just before stop every single cycle.. I think i'm sucking air through the rack somewhere.. I see no fluid leaking out but I cant see where air is getting in the system anywhere else. any thoughts would still be appreciated.

All that being said, anyone ever rebuild a rack and pinion on a c4? I've read on another thread that you HAVE to take it to a shop to change a rack. Is this true? I can see all the connections and after changing that powersteering pump I feel like there is all the room in the world. Why would I "have to put it on a rack" to change the rack and pinion myself?

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom