Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

looking to buy a c4, would like your opinion and knowledge

Congrats on your purchase. I just paid about a grand more than
that for a '94 coupe with ZR-1 rims. Owner had taken great care of it
and had all documentation right down to window sticker and build sheet.
There are many C4's out there right now...and when you find one
that shows signs of excellent care along with low mileage...I think they are
worth a little more than the average "nice looking" car.
preacherman

Thanks preacherman, Im extremely happy with my purchase at this point.

Thanks Scott, i have been looking at others, and do know of a fairly good deal on a 95? polo with 67k on it, but i keep finding myself back looking at that sharp blue one.lol , i do plan on trying for a bit lower if i go for the blue one, not sure if he would go any lower though as i seen that they had it listed before for 14.5, so i think they might be kinda firm on the 13, but we shall see.
Ill also do a search for the removing and replacing of the stereo to see whats involved IF i go that route. thanks

Why remove the stereo. What I did, just bought MP3, used cassette player and works like charm. Total investment under $100.00 and 2,000 songs later.

just my 2 cents worth

actually i wont be as long as its working but thats a good idea with the cassette player and the mp3, for right now the radio is doing just fine though, and im havinga ball cruising down the road and waving to the fellow vette owners, I never knew there were soo many vette owners in my area, my arm is getting worn out :D

Why remove the stereo. What I did, just bought MP3, used cassette player and works like charm. Total investment under $100.00 and 2,000 songs later.

just my 2 cents worth

I just purchased one of the tape adapters so I can use my iPod in my ’96. I can’t believe how good this setup works. Best part is no modifications. I now have literally hundreds of songs that I can play and the iPod is constantly charged while in use. Never thought my twelve year old C4 would be be so easily updated for todays music technology.

B17Crew
:w

I guess whatever works the best for you. I tried the IPod as well, but what I found out was, it was tuned into FM stations. I received allot of interference with the music. Maybe it was just me. I bought my MP3 (ZEN) from Wal-Mart, and bought a 4 gig sd card (soon 8 gig). What a difference. My total pay out was under $100.00

I tried the FM tuner adapter, bought the best one they had at nearly $100.00. It worked but there was interference. I returned the FM tuner and tried a tape adapter, it works perfectly, no interference.

B17Crew

:thumb:thumb
I tried the FM tuner adapter, bought the best one they had at nearly $100.00. It worked but there was interference. I returned the FM tuner and tried a tape adapter, it works perfectly, no interference.

B17Crew

Music in the 93'

I'm with you on the cassette adapter B17. I bought one and use it with my IPod. Even better than that is plugging my Sirius plug and play directly to it (without the FM radio option I have to use in the truck). The satellite radio is much better than the Ipod even. I considered sending my radio out to have the CD fixed and an adapter installed on the face of it for MP3's but, the car is original with 11,000 miles and I don't want to mess with it yet.

I may get the CD player fixed at Dr. Dons or some place similar so it works in the event I decide to have it judged next summer, but for now I'm leaving the car stock.

I have electronic climate control issues right now that I haven't had much luck with. Any experiences with a malfunctioning unit? Seems to be electric, some days it works, others it doesn't.

-Matt

P.S. Quasarcoupe: I got your request, work has been nuts, I just haven't had a chance to respond yet.

I'm with you on the cassette adapter B17. I bought one and use it with my IPod. Even better than that is plugging my Sirius plug and play directly to it (without the FM radio option I have to use in the truck). The satellite radio is much better than the Ipod even. I considered sending my radio out to have the CD fixed and an adapter installed on the face of it for MP3's but, the car is original with 11,000 miles and I don't want to mess with it yet.

I may get the CD player fixed at Dr. Dons or some place similar so it works in the event I decide to have it judged next summer, but for now I'm leaving the car stock.

I have electronic climate control issues right now that I haven't had much luck with. Any experiences with a malfunctioning unit? Seems to be electric, some days it works, others it doesn't.

-Matt

P.S. Quasarcoupe: I got your request, work has been nuts, I just haven't had a chance to respond yet.

So far the climate control works ok, but I do remember at one time I drove around for the half of the day and I didn't see any change in temp. I shut it off came back out from the store and drove to the Mountains and then it started to work again.

This is my first vette, so I am finding all new little things about a vette. Love the car. Great road trip car, I try to take it on the back roads where I can open it up. No tickets yet, but I am sure one day its going to happen.:upthumbs

-Matt

11,000 miles! WOW, your vert should be a shoe-in for top NCRS honors. I can understand wanting to keep it stock for now. I do everything to keep my ’96 OEM as I want to have it NCRS “certified” when eligible.

As for the electronic climate control issues. I had a ’94 that had a problem with the buttons not working, sometimes it would function, other times nada! I was told that this is rather common by the Chevy technician. I think he said that you may be able to clean the contacts. I just ended up buying a new head unit and called it a day.

Dr. Don’s has a pretty good reputation, if I ever have trouble with mine, that’s where it’s going for service.

B17Crew

-Matt

Yeah, WOW 11K miles, i thought mine was good with 35,800 miles on my 93, now i know why you paid the premium you mentioned earlier, but thats one sweet vert! and dont sweat the request man, get to it when you have time. its all good.

Dave

Thanks guys

I'm with you guys, I love this car. I bought it with 8,000 miles on it last July and have put 3,000 on since. Only nice sunny days, during the day. Lots of Zaino on it too. I talked to an NCRS at Carlisle and ask the national guy's opinion and he said to look for the flight awards first and then go from there.

After 15 years the tires have cracked a little and are by no means quiet, the cd player doesn't work and the climate control has good days and bad. Other than that the thing is flawless.

B17: where did you buy your new climate control head unit? I've seen the manual, but not the digital on ebay so far. I think I will try to have the contacts cleaned first on several recommendations. If that doesn't work, I'm buying a new one.

Quasarcoupe: I'll get to it soon, first day of school was today. By this weekend I should be able to find the time to answer your request and send out a few emails here and there.

-Emmasdad

Dr. Don’s has a pretty good reputation, if I ever have trouble with mine, that’s where it’s going for service.
my cassette player won't accept any tapes, the tape can't go in all the way and it ends up popping back out. is this something they can easily fix? I had got one of those ipod tape adapters too with the hopes of using it, then found out that I couldn't :bash I've been looking around for a decent radio repair place, and if you all say doctor dons is the place to go I may send them mine over the winter.

this might sound stupid, but did you flip the tape. The only reason I said that is because......... do i say more

B17: where did you buy your new climate control head unit? I've seen the manual, but not the digital on ebay so far. I think I will try to have the contacts cleaned first on several recommendations. If that doesn't work, I'm buying a new one.

-Emmasdad

I was able to purchase one at the local Chevy dealers parts department. It was NOS, I think it was around $220.00 at the time. I’m a little fuzzy on the details, it’s been sometime since I purchased it.

Take care of those GS-Cs! Locating new ones is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. I’m considering new tires all around so I can store my GS-Cs for future judging.

B17Crew

B17Crew

my cassette player won't accept any tapes, the tape can't go in all the way and it ends up popping back out. is this something they can easily fix? I had got one of those ipod tape adapters too with the hopes of using it, then found out that I couldn't :bash I've been looking around for a decent radio repair place, and if you all say doctor dons is the place to go I may send them mine over the winter.

Not sure what the exact problem may be... Over the years, I’ve heard too many positive comments in the Corvette community about Dr. Don’s to go anywhere else. Luckily, I haven’t required their service as of yet... I better go find some wood to knock on. :ugh

B17Crew

this might sound stupid, but did you flip the tape. The only reason I said that is because......... do i say more
every possible way, multiple tapes, they all spit out. it's like a baby who you just fed a spoonful of creamed spinach to. i'll give dons a call sometime next week and see what they say.

Good luck

every possible way, multiple tapes, they all spit out. it's like a baby who you just fed a spoonful of creamed spinach to. i'll give dons a call sometime next week and see what they say.

I don't have any first hand experience with them, but like others have said I've heard nothing but good things about them.

The ’93 LT1 is a fine machine. Had a ’93 coupe that I throughly enjoyed. The asking price of $13,000 is fair to me... reasons why:

1. Quasar Blue is not common -- and is quite striking ;)
2. Original owner with documentation
3. Condition of car sounds to be good
4. Its better to spend a little more for a well cared for C4 upfront then shelling out $ for repairs on a Corvette that’s been beat. I always get a chuckle out of people who say to offer less for a well cared for Corvette, or that it’s overpriced. Buying a “beater-bargain” will cost significantly more in the long run.

Good luck with your decision!

B17Crew

I would go for the 93, it sounds like it was well kept and not beaten... (a big decision factor) and it's close to you. With gas at $4.00 a gallon, driving fifty to a hundred miles to pick up a car isn't too $wise. But I would pay close attention to the water pump and opti-spark condition. This is a big dollor issue to repair and even if it isn't bad on this 93, it soon will be. The radio issues can be worked on a t a slow pace, but the water pump/opti-spark is something you need to be concerned about. Of course if you buy this car and replace the water pump and opti-spark then your good for a long time. Plus it has a lot of hard to find pluses going for it. But make sure you look the paint over closely, even have a good body shop look the paint over and make sure it can be salvaged and returned to near perfect condition. Corvettes are nothing if not for their paint. My 84 is a really nice car, but it has poor paint which is something you have to look at everytime you get in or out. Good luck and welcome to CAC!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom