Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking to buy my 1st

Well, the C5 was a great car, just not for me. I wanted my C4 back. To each their own.

I know where Mechanicsville is but I'm not familiar with the dealer. I was wondering how far you were from Poughkeepsie. We have a very good Vette dealer here but that's a bit far for you.

Good luck!

Steve Calvin said:
Well, the C5 was a great car, just not for me. I wanted my C4 back. To each their own.

I know where Mechanicsville is but I'm not familiar with the dealer. I was wondering how far you were from Poughkeepsie. We have a very good Vette dealer here but that's a bit far for you.

Good luck!

Poughkeepsie isn't that far really, whos the dealer ???

Welcome to the CAC peterd.

If you haven’t had a chance to test drive a C4 and C5 back to back, that may be a factor in your decision. Some of the early C5s values are dropping more than I would’ve guessed. This Sunday I saw a ’98 Nassau Blue Coupe with 42,000 miles for $18,500. That’s a lot of car for little money. No matter what generation you settle on, they’re all fun cars, I’ve driven both generations and they’re great. I could move up to a C5, but I enjoy my ’96 LT4 too much.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but if you’re concerned about the car appreciating in the long term, you will need documentation to back up the cars history. Ask the owners of the Corvettes your looking at about the paperwork that goes with the car.

If you were looking at a C4, you would want inquire about:

• Both black plastic Corvette key fobs and both sets of keys. They are both pricey to replace so make sure you ask

• Original window Sticker (repros can be had, but original is original)

• Build Sheet (repros can be had... again, original is original)

• Black leather owners manual -- Would have a pen light with CORVETTE silk-screened on it, post-it size pads with C4 Corvette logo, Predelivery Dealer Inspection check-off list, warranty information brochure

• Predelivery Dealer Inspection Check-off list. Will have check-offs that a tech would’ve done on the Corvette before delivery. Will have vin, mileage and anything done to the car listed; i.e. like adding windshield washer fluid. Would’ve been inserted into the black leather owners manual

• VHS video that came with the car (if applicable, not sure what year this started)

• Warranty paper work for Goodyear tires that came in the cars black leather case

• Linear Gauge static cling decal -- Was located in the lower right area of the main instrument cluster lens. Had function information of linear gauges in white ink on clear static cling decal.

• Emergency Brake information sleeve -- white boxed, heavy piece of paper that fit over the e-brake handle and had instructions for operation

• Key fob information sleeve -- white heavy paper that spare key fob rested in. Was kept in the cup holder compartment to the right of the shifter

• Check the RPO of the Corvette, make sure that if it had dual tops and it’s a coupe, your getting BOTH tops, transparent and body color. If the RPO sticker lists two tops and you don’t see the second, inquire where the second top is. Some people will sell a Corvette and not hand over the second top because they intend to sell it on ebay. They’re not cheap! Make sure you’re not being taken advantage of. Same thing if it’s a convertible, check the RPO codes. If it says hard top option, make sure the seller presents it to you. Convertible hard tops are expensive, they run over $2,000 to replace.

Keep us posted!

B17Crew
:w

peterd said:
Poughkeepsie isn't that far really, whos the dealer ???

The business name is Lomotion. The owners names are John and Kim. He's a little high in price but all of his cars are low mileage and in EXCELLENT condition. He stands behind them too. 845-471-5705 is their number.

B17Crew- REALLY GREAT INFO

Thanks a lot

Steve Calvin said:
The business name is Lomotion. The owners names are John and Kim. He's a little high in price but all of his cars are low mileage and in EXCELLENT condition. He stands behind them too. 845-471-5705 is their number.

Thanks for the info, sounds like Marcels up here (marcelscorvette.com) priced higher w/ the usual dealer benifits. Check out the site shows some nice cars available. Also http://www.prestigecorvettes.com/car.php?CarID=500

Good luck, nothing more exciting than looking for a Corvette!

B17Crew

so did we help???

if you got alot of money, get alot of vette!! i bought the first C4 i test drove! i just happened to be on Fort Meade one day and saw it for sale. test drove it 3 times to make sure it was o.k. but the price was super, poor guy was going over seas soon.

Good luck with whatever you end up with peterd. Lemme know what you get and pist a pic, maybe I'll see ya toolin' around one of these days.

I bought my 93 off of e-bay. It was from a car dealer in Scottsdale Arizona. They just dealt in high end cars. Even though the c4 was not my favorite style, it was a heck of a deal. It turned out pretty good. I sold it and bought my c5 about a year later. Sometimes I kinda' miss that 93, but not enough to give up my 01. In my opinion get the newest, lowest milage, vette for the best price you can get, even if it's not your favorite style. Any vette looks good, anyway.

I bought mine as a driver. I feel that to have a car appreciat is a long shot and mine would lose value from miles. I bought with mindset that it would deppreciat slower than almost any other car I could buy. It could be a long wait for any vette you buy to gain value, the most important thing is to get something your happy with.

Glenn

Newest You Can Afford

The standard recommendation which makes perfectly good sense is to always go with the newest you can afford. Odometer mileage and condition certainly come into play though. If you have the capability and experience to do much of your own maintenance and repairs then you might be OK with a later car with some miles. If not, then actual vehicle condition and prior ownership records with repair history will be more important than the year make. The main thing is to look at more than one car and pick the one that is right for you. I would not be concerned with the Corvette as an investment for your first car, just get the right car for you, get involved with the hobby and have fun. The late C4s, especially 95s and 96s are absolutely great cars. A Collectors Edition, vert or LT-4 would be hard for me to pass up as they are fabulous cars being the last and best of the bunch. My 96 coupe is my daily driver and I love it. Compared to my C5 it delivers more unrefined raw "Corvette" experience. You never forget you are in a Corvette when you drive a C4! My C5 vert is more civil and refined even if it is quicker.

Regards, Greg

More...from a new buyer

Peter
I shopped for almost three years...looked a tons of cars on ebay and locally...and went back and forth between C3 and C4. I love the Shark body but I ended up with the 95 Ragtop... Has it all...style,great shape...scoots along nicely, not too noisy/rattley (hard to find that ina c3 unless/until the suspension has been redone) and sorta low miles so hopefully not too tought on shorter term maintenance stuff. But I saw alot of dogs all dressed up for the show...so the real key is look, touch, drive and buy the best you can afford which isn't always the first one you fall in love with....after the lust...check again and look closer...you'll find the blemishes etc if they are there that you miss when you see a "real" candidate. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Papa:w

Hey peterd!

WELCOME TO THE CAC :CAC

We're glad you joined us! :upthumbs

I own a C4... I LOVE IT! I do want to add a C5 one day though.
If you are looking for a hotrod... C4 (the fighter jet analogy was perfect!)
If you want a power cruiser... C5

Here's my opinion for a beginner buying a C4. :D

DRIVE A LOT OF VETTES FIRST!

You probably know what a great car the Vette is... what hype you've heard... that inner feeling that "you HAVE to have one"... the stygmatism they have...
WELL... that can skew your ability to buy 'the right one'.

SO...

Drive as many as you can. Stop in a parking lot somewhere and look it over good. Look under the hood. Has the engine compartment been cleaned recently... was it to hide a leak or leaks? Look down the body from waist high view... body straight? Panels straight? Paint in good condition? Look at the hood latches... worn? Does that mean the hood has been opened alot to repair problems? The hatch glass... is the alignment correct? Hinges worn out? Leaks? Make sure you get the engine warm and do a hot start. Listen for worn lifters or worn bearings (aluminum engines normally make a bit more noise than cast iron blocks).

Look over the interior... get to know it well. See if anything is out of place or broken. You can only know if it's right by looking at a few of them and knowing what is suppose to be there and what it's suppose to look like. Test everything!!

Take it out for a night time test drive... all lights working? Headlights aimed straight? Remember: Everything that doesn't work is going to cost you some $$$ to fix / replace. Vette parts are bit more expensive.

It really is a fun time searching for YOUR new Corvette. Sounds like work but it is a good time driving all those potential 'new to you' Vettes that could be sitting in your garage one day. Have fun and take your time!

Let us know what you get and make sure you post some pics of it.

First of all, Welcome to the CAC!! It's the best Corvette site on the web.

I am probably the exception to what most everyone has told you about buying the newest one you can afford. I looked online at Corvette's for about two years. I never really considered anything other than a C4. I got my first memorable ride in an 86 coupe when I was 17.

Initially I wanted a 1988 35th Anniversary. I adore the triple white. That held my attention as I looked and looked for the "one" so to speak. I ended up with a 1990 ZR-1. I bought it without test driving it and I drove 7 and a half hours to get it. I didn't buy it as an investment because of what others have already said, Corvette's aren't good investiments. Mine is a good 10 footer and has 59k on it, currently under repair replacing all 16 injectors. Can you say OUCH!

Bottom line, any C4 is starting to get up there in age as even the newest ones approach 10 years old. They are going to require some TLC at times. Just be aware that any part that it needs is for a Corvette and not a Chevette!

Keep us posted and good luck in your search.

Jim

I recommend three books. The first is Duntov's biography, "Zora Arkus-Duntov: The Legend Behind Corvette", you'll learn about the early Corvettes. Then get a hold "Corvette from the Inside: The Development History as told by Dave McLellan, Corvette's Chief Engineer 1975-1992". This will tell you about the C4 development and a little about C5s. The third book is "All Corvettes Are Red", about the C5's. Read the Market Update articles in Corvette Magazine. Each year there are changes, so for example, when somebody says, "Selling a 94", know how a 94 is different from a 93, 92, 91 and way different from a 84 etc., and what you'd be missing in a 95 and 96.
The piece of advice I took to heart - get the best you can afford, what ever model.

I fell on my 85 Vette quite by accident... I paid 3000.00 after several months of asking "so how much this week". It needed a clutch, exhaust, tires, it didn't run all that well either and the dash was hacked up for an after market radio, the body was in good shape except for a bump in the right side fender and the paint was faded. My point is if you can do the work you can own a C4 Vette for pretty cheep. I'm just about to have it painted by a friend and at that point I own the car for just over $5,500.
One other point is the insurance for the car is real cheep if you start with an 85 because it's 20 years old and JC Taylor will insure it with full coverage for $200.00. I'm not sure of the exact figure because I have 2 other cars on the policy.
AND YES...buy what you can afford!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom