Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking to go beyond 502c.i. with short deck

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
Mark IV Bow Tie Block (Short Deck) Chevy part numbers 10051106 and 12370833 are both discontinued. :mad

How do we get beyond 502c.i. without going to a tall deck block?

G.M.? -

Aftermarket? -

"Can I get a witness?" Brother don't scream too loud!! :D
Can I get a witness?" Brother don't mean to be so cold!! :D

I'm lookin' for a connection, to the afterlife,
By way of a sweet thing.........this internal combustion device.

"Can I get a witness?" --- to help this monster elevate.
"Can I get a witness?" --- to help this monster oscillate.
"Can I get a witness who's got the courage to take a ride?:
"Can I get a witness to dingle me, swindle me, warn me, floor me, strap me, crap me, rip me and pretty much ship me down that big block Highway to Hell?

I want to be sittin' in the seats with anticipation beads of sweat rolling down my cheeks,
I want a tingle from the keys, while I flick them lightly around the slot that will please,
I want a pause to consider the silence just before I push it all the way in,
I want awakening in the neighbourhood as we ignite the fires of dawn.

I want the locals to grasp their loved-ones, seeking understanding on what seems a Rollin' quake,
While other Corvette owners share an easy but knowing smile.

When the revolutions are reaching a crescendo, and the valves are flirting against a float,
Well it's time to drop the hammer, to see how those pansies will cope?

Up through the gears, 1..2..3..4..5 (wow got a new one - feel the jive)
With all the people jumping aside, maybe we should offer a ride?!? :D

A mustang enters the street, as innocent as our times.
Should we do him? Should we fool him?
Should we cool him? or should be RULE him?
Rodney wants us all to "Just get along", so I'll just offer a friendly smile and think of a song.

Nah -- what am I saying.............CRUSH 'EM :bash :r

Now that the dirty deed has been done,
It's time to seek forgiveness for acting like a bum.
And when bringing this story to a close,
I'll see you on the boulevard, cruising for a rose! :D

It's another 138 days -- best be on my best toes.

Can I get a witness?

:D Wow. :) I like it, though. Did you just write that now? ;) So you are going for a 502? That's gonna have some kick @$$ in it.

Good luck with the project!

Hvn,
There must be a block made that accomplishes this as GM sells a 572 CID 720 hp crate engine! I don't know much about big block engines, but GM sells at least 4 different versions of the 572 cubic inch engine through their crate engine program.
Regards, John McGraw

Wow, that's quite a bit of engine you are looking for. ;) Good luck! :D

John,

I've been led to understand that the way the general gets there is with tall blocks, something that those of us with power brake boosters and Hooker side-mounts are very reluctant to do.

Dart or Merlin 9.80" deck block for 540 cid, 10.20" deck for 572 cid.
I'm not aware of anyone building 572's on a short decks. Can't remember why...sumthin' about two objects occupying the same space at the same time. :D

67HEAVEN said:
How do we get beyond 502c.i. without going to a tall deck block?

Lose the power brake booster it just adds weight and gets in the way, "real men don't need no stinkin boosters!!"

Only kidding. I am pretty sure the 540 world products merlin will fit . I am going to check with the experts and post back. The 540 street can be had with 650 hp, race (high comp.)with 800 hp. You can also try Huntsville Engine perf. 555 CU, 14:1 , 850 hp. Don't know which block though.

Best regards,
Gerry

Gerry said:
Lose the power brake booster it just adds weight and gets in the way, "real men don't need no stinkin boosters!!"

Best regards,
Gerry

This isn't bad advice. I've never had a midyear with power brakes including my '67 big block. Never had a stopping problem either. You will probably end up trying to find a place for a vacuum accumulator can to run your power brakes, depending on cam selection, and end up loosing even more space under the hood. The Chevy Power Manual will probably tell you how long of an arm you can run before you have to go to a tall deck. In addition to physical limitations it may also have something to do with extreme rod angles.

Summit part number SME-3-92-05-535 is a 572 stroker forged crank for a 454 main bearing diameter. It is 4.50 inch stroke vs a 4.00 for a stock 454 and uses a 6.535 inch rod length vs a 6.135 stock 454 rod length. I don't see a piston listed in the catalog for that rod length. It may require a cu$tom piston. They also list the Merlin III block that Viking427 refers too in both 9.800 and 10.200 decks and state that they can be worked up to 622 cubes!!

Why not contact Summit Racing and ask the tech assist what block is necessary with a 540, 572 622 ect. stroke?

Tom

While at the chevy dealer the other day , picking up parts for my project, they told me about the 572. And according to them it would drop right into my 66. It has plenty torque and said to use pump gas. The complete engine, less exhaust goes for about $15,000. 67 Heaven --- are you trying to push your eyeballs out the back of your head. By the way, your are quite the Poet Laureate. More cubes the better ---- Steve

bossvette said:
try something different :cool

Nice engine, but not enough h.p. or torque. ;)

Besides..............from their website:

"INTERNATIONAL ORDERS
As of March 28th, 2002 we will no longer ship parts to or take orders for outside of the USA. We regret having to do this, but the changes that have come about since September 11th have made it too costly and time consuming to continue this. We will only ship to and take orders for locations within the USA. The only exception we will make to this is if you have an agent or person within the USA that we can ship too and they ship the order to you from there. These orders will still require payment by bank transfer. We do not take credit cards as payment for orders from outside the USA."

That's Sallee Chevrolet, folks. :( Plain bull****!

67HEAVEN said:
Nice engine, but not enough h.p. or torque. ;)

Besides..............from their website:

"INTERNATIONAL ORDERS
As of March 28th, 2002 we will no longer ship parts to or take orders for outside of the USA. We regret having to do this, but the changes that have come about since September 11th have made it too costly and time consuming to continue this. We will only ship to and take orders for locations within the USA. The only exception we will make to this is if you have an agent or person within the USA that we can ship too and they ship the order to you from there. These orders will still require payment by bank transfer. We do not take credit cards as payment for orders from outside the USA."

That's Sallee Chevrolet, folks. :( Plain bull****!

looks like Summit is the place to call, they are in North East Ohio. On a sreious note do a little reading on the Gran Sports of the 60's and excessive weight in the front was a concern with the big block. Yoy may want to give up a little HP/torque and go with weight savings of an aluminum block. The ZL-1 probably wouldnt fit under your hood anyway :L

I bet the ZL-1 would fit but not enough HP or torque for 67heaven or me for that matter and then there is the little matter of approx. $21,000.

Best regards,
Gerry

PS How much shorter is a short deck than a standard deck?

Bob You know this motor thing trying to get above 502 just might bring this car project into a compulsive/obsesive area and I may be suggesting seeking proffesional help.

I know the old saying no replacement for displacement.But this is way too much.Maybee a couple of days out of the garage will do you well.

Gerry said:
PS How much shorter is a short deck than a standard deck?

Standard (or short) deck - 9.8"
Tall deck - 10.2"

Tall deck problems in midyears:
- the fit of side-mount headers
- requires different intake manifold
- distributor shaft length
- bump-bump (valve cover against power brake booster)
- hood clearance for taller engine

There are probably more that I haven't thought of.

Lets think about this. We are only talking about 4/10 of an inch here. I know that can cause problems in areas that are already tight like the ones listed above but why not consider another solution that would require only a little fabrication?

Options:

1) Cut and reweld the frame motor mount brackets to lower the engine 4/10 inch.

2) If the pan is then too close to the crossmember dimple the pan for clearance (all it has to do in not touch).

3) If the pan can't be dimpled due to the long arm of the stroker crank dimple the crossmember or remove an oval piece of the crossmember where the pan touches. Then form a dished piece of steel to clear the pan and weld it in place.

4) Check your u-joint angles. Adjust your trans mount up or down to restore proper angle if necessary. May require shims or slightly modifying the mount pad.

Problem solved

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom