Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Losing Anti-freeze

B

boblx2a

Okay guys, I am running out of ideas.
My '85 is losing anti-freeze a bit at a time. Probably about 2 to 3 quarts every couple of weeks. Well anyway I have to refil the overflow expansion container about every 2 weeks.
Here is what I know:
1. There are no visable signs of any leaking.

2. The indications of the engine burning it are not there. Such as ash deposits on the plugs or oil being burned. Which would be a symptom of valve guide leaking.

3. The engine never gets above 207 degrees so it is most likely not boiling the water away, which used to be my pet theory.

This car now has 45K on the clock. I bought it with 37K on it and this condition has existed since I bought it.

Any new ideas would be appreciated. Has anyone ever had this problem with a Vette? I had it also with my '86 but that time it was the valve guides. But then it had 150K on the clock. This has me stumped.

Do you ever notice smoke coming from the engine area? My truck is doing something similar, and I think coolant is leaking into the cylinders. I have to add a little coolant about once a week, and it tends to overheat. Havent fixed it yet since it has 200,000 + miles, and I rarely drive it now.

BTT
Boy I have exactly the same problem with my '89 !!
I occasionaly pick up the smell of coolant in my garage, but never any
signs of a leak.
I placed a pan under the car to pick up any drips - nothing.
I hope someone has a clue for me to follow up on.
LOL

Underneath your water pump is something called a weeping hole. On older pumps these tend to leak coolant (Sometimes even from brand new ((Defect)) ) Check underneath your waterpumps guys and see if its wet. If it is replace the pump

And the obvious Hoses/Tank/Radiator/Frost Plugs/Heads/Engine Block Check there of course as well...The weep hole does sound like your best bet.

Losing Anti-Freeze

No smoke from the engine compartment. That used to happen before I found a leak in the thermostat housing but that was long ago. No smoke now.

Also the engine is bone dry, no visable leaks anywhere. Also I park in a garage with a white floor, no leaks...........

Think your leaking into the cylinders? Does your exhaust smell sweet? Does your dipstick show a "Lardy" substance on it?

did you check the 'hidden' area around and underneath the intake plenum?... L98's have a problem leaking there, and they tend to not drip onto the ground if this is so, and it isn't an obvious place to look...

Acutally I did'nt know that either and Ive had mine off LOL Thanks VetteLt193 If I occur a problem I'll look there as well!

Losing Anti-Freeze

I have not done a pressure check. I' ll do that. I also have not looked underneath of the Plenum. As a matter of fact I think at one time there was a small puddle of green looking liguid (anti-freeze) way back somewhere in the middle of the car, on the floor. I only saw it once a couple of months ago and figured it was probably from my '55 Chevy that had been sitting there. I guess I need to look REALLY close! I was not aware it could leak and not drip onto the floor.

The dipstick is clean though and the exhaust does not smell sweet or any other obvious conditions. I first suspected a leak into the cylinders because my '86 did that. The '86 also had ash buildup on the plugs though, so that was a dead giveaway. This one is a real mystery. The only thing I can say for sure is it is going somewhere!

I thank all of you for your help on this...............

I don't have an answer for you, but I had (have?) a simliar problem with my '89. Last year before I put the car in storage for the winter, I had a small coolant leak. I had a pressure check done and found the hoses were leaking. They were tightened up and the problem was fixed.

I put the car away and about 3 months later I noticed a couple puddles of anti-freeze under the car but couldn't find any leaks. I cleaned it up and reparked. I kept checking and no more leaks...until 3 weeks later. Another puddle! By this time it was nearing time to take the car out of storage. I had planned on getting the problem checked out and fixed. However, ever since that last puddle, there hasn't been any problems or signs of leakage. Strange, eh?

Losing Anti-Freeze

I have a co-worker who owns a pressure test kit that I can borrow to check the pressure.

I have also noticed those "disappearing" puddles. Only mine were toward the rear of the car, about under the hatch somewhere. Or just behind the driver's seat, underneath the car. Since they did not reappear I forgot about them. As you noticed, it only happend a couple of times. Haven't seen them now for some time. But I have to refill the resevoir on a regular basis. So whatever is happening is not intermittent. Maybe my seeing it is intermittent! :)

Try this

2 weeks ago had the same problem..... but my overflow was getting higher than I was used to........ then the low coolant light came on.....

I kept toppin off the rez would fill up ( Higher than I left it last time )

and this cycle kept repeating.....

I finally changed my cap on the raidiator... and bing... no more problem!

Vig!

Your all gonna laugh...

Ive done the checks also and guess what I have the same problem ROFL!:J

I did'nt (And may not) think anything of it considering the engine is currently running very hot (From the weather here) but the Blow tank has been empty quite a bit but I have noticed on cooler days that it has a bit in it so I may be out of line (This should be normal)

Guess I'll keep an eye on mine as well LOL

water pump

water pump, and the water pump, hehe

i leak 0 now
i had more leaks then anyone could imagine

first i leaked it through my manifold

check that u will notice a steam coming from your engine a really faint one

then it stilled leaked after that little
new radator, still a leak
cleared ouall the junk aorund it
put both fans even running all the time on my car still running hot
still lossing

then i broke down
lost tonsof anti freeze,, water pump came completly unscrewed some how, i replaced the pump never had a leak since then

but today i notice al ittle wetness under one of my runners in the middle
im not sure what it is,, i have wettness on both sides but i think my cold start valve is leaking on taht one side,, i dont know whats the deal on theo ther side,, how can somethin be leaking there thats my intake,, coolant doens't pass by that... if water i ****ting your pistons u will notice that on your spark plugs and in your oil,, and majorly out your tail pipe,, if u don't have it out of your tale pipe,, don't worry consider that an option, only way this could happend is if you warp your gasket. and it won't show it out your tail pipe and it can just a little bit geting inot your pistons but u will hear a pinging noise in your enigne going up hill or just going anywhere, mainly...

like red sayd put your hand under your water pipe, u can't put a pan there to find the leak, cause there is metal in the way under there that will bock it,, but u should make sure u have all new hoses.

ever sinc ei replaced my water pump my car never goes past 194 degrees and thats in like 110 degree weather. im going to put a gasket on my cold start valve to see if it stops that leak cuase when i took it off last week it had no gasket on it

thats wierd

i dont know why it did that ****ting

i didn't use foul language

what cuss word ends with ting

thats really wierd

Several things come to mind when losing coolant and there are no visible leaks at the engine end of the car.

1. Head gasket- at the rate your losing coolant, it could be going into one or more cylinders and being blown out the exhaust. run the engine long enough to get it to full operating temperature, hold your hand close behind each exhaust outlet. If your hand is getting moist after several seconds, I would begin looking at the bank which corresponds to the side that produced the moisture.

2. Intake manifold gasket- The L98 engine still has a "wet" intake manifold, if it's not leaking out to the atmosphere, then it's probably being sucked into the cylinder(s) and going out the exhaust.

3. Cracked head(s)- Small cracks that may have developed in the heads, (often around or near the exhaust valve seat) can cause leakage into one or more cylinders, again usually burned off and out the exhaust.

4. Heater core leaking- Sometimes if the heater core is leaking the heater housing is holding all the coolant or dropping it into and under the front floor mat. Turn on the windshield defogger, does it fog the inside of the windshield with lots of moisture, or does the air coming out smell sweet?

5. Waterpump seal/weep hole- If there is a very small seepage, sometimes the heat from the engine will "cook" the coolant before it drops to the ground. But you should still be able to find a tan/brown/green stain from the weep hole, if that's where it's coming from.

6. Automatic trans cooler- The transmission cooler is a water to oil type cooler located inside the radiator. They can corrode and oil or water can pass in either direction. A quick check of the trans dip stick can reveal coolant in the automatic trans fluid. The fluid will have a milky or sludge look if contaminated with coolant. Hope you don't have that... mucho$$$$$

You mentioned puddles near the rear of the car. Would they be under the forward portion of the mufflers? They can hold quite a bit of moisture, there is a very small hole in the front of each muffler. This is a drain hole to actually drain off moisture if the car hasn't been run far enough to cook off the normal moisture in the exhaust after a cold start-up. If it's "green water", I would refer back to #1 , 2 and 3 above.
Remember, the anti-freeze portion of a coolant mix will not simply evapoate. If mixed properly (50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze) half of what leaks out will not evaporate, the anti-freeze should leave evidence someplace.

A pressure test of the cooling system will reveal that it is leaking "someplace", then the trick is to find that "someplace".

Hope you get it corrected before you (your engine) suffers needless additional damage.
vettepilot

you would notice it going into your pistons though wouldn't u?

there be a noise

or u would see it out your exhaust big time

losubg Anti-freeze

I guess a cheap and dirty check of the radiator cap could be carefully releasing it to the first notch when it is hot, with the engine not running. I should hear the pressure release if the radiator cap is good. Assuming no other pressure leaks anywhere. I suppose just replacing it might be the best course of action since I have no idea of it's condition or age.

I have not yet checked the system pressure. Waiting for my co-worker to bring in his test kit. That may tell me something too.

I do think it is interesting how many other coolant problems have surfaced since I mentioned this. :) Everything from bad radiator caps to broken water pumps. :) I put a water pump on my '86 so I sure feel for Shadowing. That was quite a repair job. Not near as bad as doing one on a V-6 Fiero but trying none the less.

Thanks for your input...............

Keep it simple, stupid

aeioruwio[erjlkasldk;fjaweiofrjaw;elf
(had to get that out of my system, but I digress)

Since your resevoir is usually dry, could you have a leak there?
--Drew:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom