Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Losing oil somehow on new motor...>

M

moskovita

The new motor in my 1977 corvette is losing/using oil somehow?
The rebuilt 350/383 has 750 miles on the motor, was holding oil just fine until 500 miles, then I lost/used 2 quarts since? There is not a drop of oil on the ground and it's not burning any kind of smoke. Oil pressure is/was excellent 40/75 until two quarts low. I replaced the oil and pressure is good again.

So, what can this be? Anyone...:(

I live in Seattle most of the time and had the motor rebuilt in Medford, OR. So, I need to find a reliable/trustworthy mechanic in the Seattle area to look at my problem before I take the West Coastline drive next month.

... have you checked for oil in the radiator/coolant?

Haven't even thought of that? How would it get in there?

Most of the time, when you've lost oil, and see no leaks, it's coming from an ill fitting intake manifold. It might look OK from the outside, but inside the runners don't seal and you suck oil from the galley. It's not uncommon NOT to see smoke, etc. See what other have to say. Have a friend who rebuilt his 62 327 a few years ago. Was going through about a quart every 300 miles. I followed him to several shows, etc, and there was no smoke. Chuck

Jack said:
Let's hope not ... have you checked for oil in the radiator/coolant?
JACK:gap

And

ChuckG said:
Most of the time, when you've lost oil, and see no leaks, it's coming from an ill fitting intake manifold. It might look OK from the outside, but inside the runners don't seal and you suck oil from the galley. It's not uncommon NOT to see smoke, etc. See what other have to say. Have a friend who rebuilt his 62 327 a few years ago. Was going through about a quart every 300 miles. I followed him to several shows, etc, and there was no smoke. Chuck

I haven't heard of either of these before, so I will check them out!

improperly installed valve seals will do this to. You will suck oil thru the guide and not see smoke except when you start it after it has been shut down for awhile.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom