Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lost Locking Lug Nut Key

I hope you didn't break them off yet!

I went through the same thing and the nit wit who broke them off also charged me $250, failed to notice the slight recession that holds the key.

The key is also a dark color, almost black and blended in with the carpet in the middle compartent.

Of course, after checking posts on this, I found it in about 30 seconds, after the damage was done.

Take a flashlight and take a good look, since it's dark in there.

Pity the guy putting my new tires on didn't call the Chevy dealer down the street but then he wouldn't have been able to charge me the long green.

He also lost all of my family business with that one. He (without asking) also changed all of the fluids, when it just went in for tires. The bill was over $800 for the fluid change (if he did it), and breaking the nuts off.

A long-shot:

Did you check the small, moulded depression in the rear of the storage compartment carpet for the locking key? Some C5 owners do not realize the small depression is there for the storage of the locking key.

Some dealers have a set of keys to the locking lug nuts. Call around and see if any of the service departments have the set.

Good luck.

I have a 2002 z06 ...does it have this storage compartment that you're referring to? Any ideas where they might've left the key on the 2002 z06?

I have a 2002 z06 ...does it have this storage compartment that you're referring to? Any ideas where they might've left the key on the 2002 z06?

I do not know if the Z06 has the rear, (small) moulded recess for the locking lug-nut key (socket). Mine is a coupe and has it. It is under one of the rear compartment covers - so the Z06 may not have it since the covers were not included?

You may want to read your owner's manual to see if the recess and key is referenced.

Good luck.

See the post Corvette nightmare on 1997-2004 genreal forum you'll get this picture and it's not something you'll want to see on your baby.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom