Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lots of folks out there bashing the C4...what gives?

c4 vs c5

Hi everyone I agree with Paulc that the c4 has it all over the c5. I am looking for another vette,and if price was no option I would still get a 95 or 96 to go along with the 84.My view would change if the c5 had a different rear end.Did I just say rear end? Barry

I can't wait till I can stop being a poser and actually own my very own corvette. I don't want to rush, but I just can't wait. I've wanted a c-4 ever since I was 15 years old back in 1992 when the new LT1s came out. I think the c-4 vette is one of the last pure muscle cars....and that's why I dig them so much. A lot of folks on my home forum are spouting off about weak chassis this and fit and finish that....but they are die hard ford fans and are probably just spouting of some plagarized opinion from an old Road and Track magazine.

Thanks for the support and the perspectives...my heart is in this thing now more than ever....

Anyone know of any finance companies that will do 60 month financing on a 93-95 corvette? Please let me know their names if you do....I will need some financing assistance as I look for "the one."

My first Corvette was a 91 Coupe, base suspension, automatic, manual A/C, 2 power sport seats, and the Bose Gold system. Great car! Then I ordered a 93 ZO7, 6spd, electronic A/C, 2 power sport seats, Bose Gold system, even better car. Just traded that car in for my 2002 ZO6, I like it even better..... the point here is get what you can afford, and think you will enjoy. My oldest son (26 YO)just purchased his first Corvette (a 96 LT1) in December after looking at Vettes for the past year. It wasn't exactly what he wanted, he preferred a 6 spd, but got an automatic because it was such a nice car for the money. He loves the car dispite the automatic.
The Gen 2 LT1 engines are very good engines, the LT4 is based on the LT1 design. Both can be improved if one wants to spend the money.
The sheer enjoyment of a sunny day drive in a Corvette cannot be overlooked, regardless of the year, model, or options. Nothing else in America captures the soul of motoring quite like the Corvette, it is truely a highly recognized American Icon.
Pull up to a stop sign or traffic light in a Vette, and people are going to look...point.... smile... wave... and kids will leave nose prints in the windows as they admire your car. Harley riders and Viper drivers will usually nod in mutual respect for your American sports car. The Mustang, Ricers, and M3 drivers usually want to race. F body drivers, mixed bag... sometimes they want to race, sometimes they want to talk... sometimes they don't even look your way... the later seem to have some sort of identity crisis going on :L
Anyway, like I said get what you can afford, and be happy with... I always told my son not to buy a Corvette as a project car, cause the Vette should be driven, not sit on blocks waiting for parts so it can be driven, (unless you have two Vettes). So what ever you get, make it a driver, not a lawn decoration. :L :L
Good Luck in your quest.
vettepilot

Looks more like the C5 is the one taking a bashing. I also see alot of rear end envy, must be the "other" male past time comming out. ;)

:( :( :(

I don't see how anyone who loves the C-4 looks can hate the C-5's looks . One of the design groups main objectives was to maintain the same basic look when styleing the C-5 . They did it so well that alot of people who don't know these cars like we here do , don't even realize they changed everything under the body .

DkBG said:
I don't see how anyone who loves the C-4 looks can hate the C-5's looks . One of the design groups main objectives was to maintain the same basic look when styleing the C-5 . They did it so well that alot of people who don't know these cars like we here do , don't even realize they changed everything under the body .

What? I park my C4 next to a C5 almost everyday. And they are both bright red. Nobody I know mistakes one for the other. The front end of the cars may have started out looking alike in the C5 design but the back end? Even with my glasses off there is absoultely no mistake on that big fat a$$ on the C5. It is the one and only real turnoff for me. I'm really trying to warm up to the C5 because it took me a while to warm up to the C4. When I saw the first C4 back in 84 my first opinion was "Oh God they sold out and tried to make a friggin Euro sports car". They looked ugly. The 69-71 were my flat out favorite. I still like those the most. Then over the years the C4 took on an appeal and now I own the 92 and love it. I've considered an Electron Blue Z06 cause they just catch my eye. Then I get around the back of it and get bummed out. I'm trying to see the appeal but it just isn't happening. And I'm not alone in that opinion.

Bottom line though is to each his/her own.

Graham

i like both.....

but could only afford upto 20k and looked for a few months till i found the 87 i saved 6k upto my limit i set forth upon looking. I even got a 3 yr/ 36k warrenty on her! The car i wanted was a tight car both in body and drivetrain and low low miles. Then i found her. Point is for me atleast is if i could afford a Z06 i'd love to have one but can't afford it. (need to hit lotto or graduate tech school.....lol :D ) I love my vette i bought. I always liked the C-4's never really got into the later C-3's. In my neighborhood there is easily 10+ vettes around everything from C-2's to C-5's Z06 around the corner my friends dad has a 2001 convertable i need to round these guys up!....hehe :D

My opinion in best styling though a stock looking C-4 with a lowering kit on it and 17's rims very swoopy looking the car's lines on a C-5 to me like they have alot of horizontals on it not the swoopy look as the C-4's!

But if i could afford it i'd have the one i'd want from every generation! :upthumbs

Entry level corvette

I'll admit it. I bought mine because it was the cheapest vette I could find. I've not regretted it for a minute. I got lucky that I got an 18 year old car with under 70,000 miles on it with a perfect interior, an engine you could eat off of and a stack of records from every bit of service the car has had in the last 18 years. They ARE out there you just gotta look...and get lucky.

I didn't like the look of the C5s either at first. The front end looks like a trans am/firechicken and the back end...well, we've covered the a$$ end. But then I drove one and I like all the bells and whistles. The HUD, the electric telescope wheel, the way you don't have to have a ladder to get over the frame rail when you try to get out. Now I like it, and wouldn't mind owning one. Not to mention the 6 speed and the power. It beats a ford all to he!!, after all ford does stand for Found On Road Dead.

In short...go get one...ANY one. If you spend a lot on it you might not have to spend much more. If you get it cheap, it gives you more money to improve it, and if you get one cheap, you just might get one that doesn't need anything (like I did).

--Drew:w

I had two C-4's myself . Loved them both . I had a C-3 too . Hope I can get a C-6 . I may not like it at first but just as the 4's did , I'm sure it will grow on me !

DkBG,
Yup, given the money I would want one from each generation. There are certain years in each that I really like. But funds determined 1 and the C4 was the best choice for me.
Graham

Please yourself

Make yourself happy, that's all that matters. Get what YOU like.

I admit I didn't like the C4 design, I thought they looked like a door wedge...but lately, they are growing on me.
I had a ride in one a few months ago that set me back in the seat! Handling? Boo-Yah!
I was offered a chance to drive it, but I am horrible with a clutch, so I refused for the safety and well-being of the vette! :L

As my personal preference, I like the curves of the C3s (Speed Racer and his Mach5 are my kindergarten crush!) and I also prefer the ease of mechanical repairs (no computer). If we could afford another vette...I think it'd be a C4. I like the way Ken's is set up with the sidepipes. It just looks mean!
Silver

I'm on my first corvette, a 96 LT4 coupe. Its not a loud car, in fact with the new weatherstripping I put in (new windshied due to crack) its very quiet. The ride isn't cadillac quality, its performance quality. Its semi-smooth, and it handles great and gets me out of trouble on the highway very easily without spinning out, like I've seen soo many cars do when they have to manuever quickly.

Plus, if you want to autocross the C4 is the better than a c5 cause of its shorter wheelbase. Since the original post was from a person who can spend 16-19k.......the C4 is the perfect choice, especially if its a 94-96, because they have had a long time to be refined over the earlier c4 years.

As for the "vette club" wave on the highway, its about half and half for C5 owners waving at me. All the C4s give a wave though.

Ya know Trance , about that wave thing . I don't know why thats true but it is . Hell , I wave back at anyone no matter what they're driveing . I always wave at Vettes . But I'm not wealthy at all , I just make a nice car a priorty .

Ok, I have to jump on the bandwagon, and like Paul, Mr and the others, the C3 is in my humble opinion the hands down winner of corvette styling.... just something about seeing the curves and lines, even when parked they just look plain ole sleek and sharp! They don't call them Sharks for nothing!

I just recently got my first C4. (shiny black convertible '87) I will tell you, this car out drives, out performs, and gets much better mileage even (with performance chip, and Flowmasters...) than my C3 ever thought about. At 85 MPH on the interstate with the top down, the car drives itself. My C3, at 85 mph, has to be "driven". I still love the C3 styling, but if you're looking for a driver, as opposed to something that looks great when you pull it out of the garage once a month to clean up and cruise in, then go for the C4.

I do have to agree with a comment someone earlier made about the C5. I think these are great cars too, but personally have to agree with the design opinion of whoever said they started in the front, and got tired before they hit the rear end!

My $.02 worth, and I love ALL vettes....

In the MIX

C-4 hands down

I own a C-3 ( 73 coupe) I've had it since High School and it's the Garage Queen!

I've worked on a few C-5's ( have to agree with the BIG BOOTY statement) and I would not buy one for the noisy engine/ piston slap/noisy drive train/ Ugly back issues.

That being said..I like the interior/ride/power and the look from the drivers seat.

My 88 convert is my daily driver ( yeah baby )
it's one of the most reliable cars I have EVER owned. ( and you don't need a degree in electronics to repair it)

When I first got it, it was negelected in a MAJOR way and I got VERY good at the fast draw for the plastic.

Any one you get will have issues.. but you will fall in love over time.

( right now I'm building a 327 engine for a 65 convert... MY dream car... all I have to do is find her...I can hear her calling thru the wind.) Hmmmmm must be the wind generated from the cash flying outa my wallet!

Mike

vms4evr said:

Then I get around the back of it and get bummed out. I'm trying to see the appeal but it just isn't happening. And I'm not alone in that opinion.

No your not alone, Mustangs and ricer drivers don't like the looks of it either, probably cause that's about all they ever see.
I thought the C5 had a big butt also but something I noticed the other day changed my mind. I had parked next to a late model Mitsubishi 3000, and when I returned to my car, I was approaching from the rear left rear, (kinda like west north west)
anyway, I noticed the Vette's rear was really no larger than the 3000's was. The difference was the was the way the Mits big butt was broken up with the bumper line(s) and registration plate holder area appearance. If the Vette's rear lines were broken up with some horizontal lines, it wouldn't look nearly as large.
But then again maybe it would have flunked the wind tunnel test.....
vettepilot

This winter my nephew (I'm 43, he's 39) just bought a beautiful millenium yellow 2000 vert. He wanted the newest car he could afford with factory warranty. He is not a do it yourselfer. I drove this car when he first got it. It is the best handling car I have ever been in. Chevy gets kudo's for the engeneering marvel they have in this car. Like someone already stated the HUD is awsome. Power and response is terrific. Entry and exit is much better than the C4. It is a wonderfull car for the money.

Now he is looking for chrome exhaust tips. Maybe a chrome exhaust plate for between the muffler tips. Something to break up, or detract from that huge a$$ end. :grinshot

(I would not have bought a yellow car myself. Yellow is for banana's, and lemon's. He loves it and so do I ;) )

Here's my 2 cents worth.

I spent some quality time in a '98 convertible auto before purchasing my first vette last fall, a '95 C4 auto.

Here are things that stand out to me when I think back on the C5.

1. I fell in love with the Competition Yellow. That caught my eye first. I know, I know, that has nothing to do with C4 versus C5!

2. For some strange reason the C4 seems like it has more grunt than my friend's C5. I know it does not, but to me it feels more like what I thought a vette should feel like. For some reason when I mash the gas at around-town cruising speed it seems to mash me back in the seat a little harder. Could that be the less "gentlemanly" suspension? I don't know. I do have the high performance rear end though. Maybe somehow that compensates for the C5's 30 more HP. I know the torque isn't that much different. I believe the C5 has 5 more ft lbs and I don't think my butt would feel 5 extra foot lbs that much. On a recent trip to Bowling Green my buddy and I did get it on a few times at around 70 mph. We came to our senses before we reached 120 or so. I believe he was about 1 car length in front of me when I thought better of the idea. Besides 1 foot or 1 car length. He beat me. I can pretty much stay with him at lower RPM's though. I think the C5 breathes better winds faster at higher RPM.

3. I like the way the C4 cockpit surrounds me; kind of like an Indy car. I feel like I am part of the car. The cockpit envelopes me. The C5 (getting into driving position-wise) seems more like the cockpit of a camaro or firebird. With these you just kind of slide in. I like climbing down down into the C4.

4. There is nothing close to the looks of the front end of the C4 with the hood up. The plumbing, exposed tires, wheels and brakes.... wow! It is just cavernous and beckons....... "Looky what I've got in here!". Also I like the door and fender protection. Didn't GM remove the perimeter door and body rub strips from the C5?

5. The C5 does appear to be a softer (refined?) ride, but again the C4 ride, while not as harsh as the C3, seems to be a nice middle-ground between the 4th and 5th gen. suspensions.

6. Price comparisons? I think my C4 offers me more bang for MY buck. I had a max and the C4 was right on the mark.

I LOVE ALL CORVETTES! Every generation has something great going for it. It's like my brother says, "There is an _ss for every seat."

Ted

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom