Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Loud click, no start

glomonac

Corvette
1987 Red Coupe
I just replaced the alternator and battery. I don't think I put 20 miles on the car since then. Just went into the garage to back it out for a wash attempted to start it. I heard a loud click then nothing. Now when I turn the key to start nothing happens not even a click. Battery checks OK. Could this be the solenoid? How would I check this. I remember years ago shorting it out with a screwdriver but I'm reluctant to do this with the Vette.
Thanks

I just replaced the alternator and battery. I don't think I put 20 miles on the car since then. Just went into the garage to back it out for a wash attempted to start it. I heard a loud click then nothing. Now when I turn the key to start nothing happens not even a click. Battery checks OK. Could this be the solenoid? How would I check this. I remember years ago shorting it out with a screwdriver but I'm reluctant to do this with the Vette.
Thanks
Yeah,It could,But my $$ would be riding on a Bad Battery Cable Connection,Bad Starter connection or a Bad Ground connection on the Chassis or Engine!!:thumb:thumb:thumb When you get a Loud Click and then Nothing,99% of the time thats what it will be!!:thumb:upthumbs

I agree, as a matter of fact this just happened to me. Not on the vette, but to one of my other cars. In my case it was the ground that goes from the battery cable to the block. There should be another ground that goes from the block to the frame.

For future though, it is fairly inexpensive to get a device to do what you are talking about with your screwdriver. I think I bought mine a few years back. Basically it is a switch, with two leads to jumper with.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom