Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Loud growling sound turning hard left

nelsonvette

Corvette
1995 Aqua Coupe
I have a 95 coupe. Has anyone had this problem, When making a hard left turn like from a stop sign turning left with quick acceleration I get a loud groaning sound from the passenger rear. I jacked the car and found the wheel bearing was bad so I replaced that hoping that was it but no change. It almost sounds like the tire is rubbing the fender but no sign of that. I also put new shocks on and the tires are new with less than 1000 miles on them. I don't get this sound doing right turns. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. P.S. If anyone needs tips on replacing a rear wheel bearing I can help. Not a bad job to do if you have a few pointers.

Welcome to the CAC. I must say you have a stumper on your hands. It must have something to do with weight distribution when the car is turning left something must rub. I am sure you will get some takers on that offer about the wheel bearing. Good Luck, Craig

Groaning

Nelson -

Have you tried disabling the ASR to see if that changes the condition?

Steven

i'd still suspect tire rub...turning and accellerating will cause extreme body roll/suspension change and tires on these cars dont have extreme clearance ( part of why they look so good)....next time you get growled at, go back to the same corner immediately and try it again with a bit less steering input--if its quiet, forget it--the designers made most of the possible contact points non-critical in instances of occasional use

You should change the differential lube and make sure you have 2 bottles of GM additive in there. The clutches groan on turns if the lube is not right.

It sounds just like a tire rubbing when you turn sharply. Thanks to the idiots at the Chevy dealer for that lesson.

Thanks for that one Tlong. I will try that. Will post results ASAP.

I changed the differential lube and added 2 bottles of additive along with 3 pints of new mobile1 synthetic lube. Not an easy job either. Tight area to work in. Had to use a pump to suck it out and put the new in. Even with the pump its hard to get enough room to get the pump tube in but after that I still found no change. The sound is still there. The only other thing I can think of would be a ujoint but there does not seem to be any play in the half shaft when you twist or push and pull on it. It sounds like a tire rub but I just don't see any signs of a rub on the inside or outside of the tire. I would think if it were a differential problem the sound would be centered. The sound is definitely coming from only the rear right wheel.

I don't have any experience with a 95 but if it were my 87 doing that, after I had done everything else you've done, I think I'd be looking at the parking brake assembly on that side.

I'm with TLong ... sounds like a diff problem. Could be the bearings on the left side yoke output. I had a similar sound but very faint and only at part throttle. Tore the diff out and took it to the shop for a rebuild. The guy at the shop said he didn't find anything out of place or worn excessively ... till he got to the input bearing .... there was just a bit of wear. He told me that it was probabally the problem and for the small amount of wear that was showing I had to have been really paying attention. I was because I had just swapped to a D44 and was paying attention because the condition of the "new" rear was really unknown. A complete rebuild fixed the problem. It cost about $375 labor and parts. Prices may be different in you area. Here there is basically one guy that everybody uses, very good work and good prices for it.

:w
G

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom