Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Low-Coolant Light

C

CharlesBrown

My low-coolant light comes on. I add coolant to the overflow bottle. Light goes out. Several days later, light comes on again. Checking the overflow bottle indicates coolant level is indeed low. Tnere is no indication on the garage floor that any coolant is (or was) present. Is there any chance the coolant is going some place inexpensive? I know the high cost answer...head gasket!

I can't really see a cheap place for coolant to leak... maybe a pinhole in a hose that expands under pressure. If it is the head gasket, you need to fix it soon before more damage occurs: coolant in the oil, warped head, galled cylinder, cracks... etc. Now THOSE would be expensive. Good luck!

edit: I just thought of something else(also expensive :( ), check the passenger floorboard to see if it's wet. You might have a leaking heater core. Have you smelled coolant?

I had tge same problem for several years. After just adding cooant for many times I finally had the garage do a pressure test. The problem showed itself to be a slight crack in the wierd twisty hose going to the heater (in a hard to see place of course). Problem fixed.

I had a mysterious coolant leak a few weeks ago, no traces on the garage floor, oil looked okay so no head gasket problems. It turned out to be the heater core. There was coolant all over my passenger side carpet. Had to pull the seat and clean the carpet.

Worse case is a blown head gasket. If so, this will ruin the motor as the oil will lose it's ability to lubricate - I speak from experience here.
I hope this is not the case so you need to find that leak and find it soon.

Look for steam out of the exhaust pipes after the car is fully warmed up. Look for little bubbles in the oil. Check the oil pressure - has it been dropping lately?

tonylong said:
I had tge same problem for several years. After just adding cooant for many times I finally had the garage do a pressure test. The problem showed itself to be a slight crack in the wierd twisty hose going to the heater (in a hard to see place of course). Problem fixed.

Hey, thanks!
Mine has done exactly the same for years, and since it was easier to just dump in some new coolant every coupla weeks, that's what I've always done. No signs of coolant in the oil, and from past experience, I can tell in an instant, by the sickly-sweet smell, when the heater core leaks!

Hmmm, you just made me think of another possibility:
I'm going to try replacing the radiator cap before I do anything hasty.

Doing that on my old Bronco stopped a persistent leak there.

Low Coolant Light On

Just started the car after sitting for a month.
No coolant on the floor,
no smell in the car.
Coolant level fine.
What could it be?
Thank you,
Vet's Vette

Man, I gotta throw in on this one as a "don't do what I did" . . . small coolant leak on garage floor tracked down to a pin hole radiator leak. New radiator and lower hose for $260.00. Not a bad do it yourself job. Took the radiator housing loose, set misc. parts on engine, bagged and labled bolts and screws, all was going well. While removing lower hose under car, the hood support disengaged and the hood fell on the parts I had laid on top of the engine. Punched a hole clean through the middle of my up-to-then, pristene hood. S.O.A.B.!!! now a $260.00 repair will cost about $2,000 for a hood repair and repaint. The lesson here: secure the hood support and NEVER leave parts on top of the engine!!

CharlesBrown said:
My low-coolant light comes on. I add coolant to the overflow bottle. Light goes out. Several days later, light comes on again. Checking the overflow bottle indicates coolant level is indeed low. Tnere is no indication on the garage floor that any coolant is (or was) present. Is there any chance the coolant is going some place inexpensive? I know the high cost answer...head gasket!

I had a similar problem with my 97 Pontiac. No steam, no leaks, nothing but the low coolant light. I took it to my local dealer and it was the water pump. Fixed that and no light and all is well.

vet'svette said:
Just started the car after sitting for a month.
No coolant on the floor,
no smell in the car.
Coolant level fine.
What could it be?
Thank you,
Vet's Vette
Get a pressure test on the cooling system. ould be a water pump seal...leaks aftert warm up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom