Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Low oil pressure on instrument cluster '87

B

basilio

The oil pressure suddenly began to read low on the instrument panel. 0 psi at idle and up to 15 psi at 2000 rpm. The red light comes on below 8 psi. The oil pressure sensor was replaced without improvement on the panel. When the wire to the sensor is disconnected, the gauge reads 80 in "run". When the wire is checked for short to ground-- it is not shorted to ground. It sounds like the instrument panel? The engine runs fine without any problems. How can I be absolutely sure without taking off the cluster that it is the cluster? Could it be a connector to the cluster? Can the car be driven without any untoward problems without the cluster in place to have it repaired or replaced? I am worried about damage to the ecm. I have the factory diagnosis manuals but it is vague in the way it is written. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

did you verify oil pressure? (use another gauge)

if you are sure it has oil pressure Min. 10 at idle and 50 at 2000. then the oil is ok.
the cluster can be swaped for a rebuilt unit and no it will not hurt to drive with out it however it might be costly for tickets!
you will loose the cruse as its controlled by the cluster!

you cant drive the car without an instrument gauge in it

You replaced the sending unit already? There is more than one oil pressure thing on the back of the intake manifold

corvette 87 oil pressure sender

Yes, the oil pressure sender was replaced and it still is displaying low on the gauge. Today, while at a stop light, the reading climbed up suddenly to 80 and then came down again. Typically, it goes to 0 at a stop light and ranges between 3 to 20 when driving the car.

Isn't there an oil pressure switch that is next to the oil pressure sender that needs to receive pressure for the fuel pump to be energized? If there is no pressure, would the engine not be allowed to receive fuel?

I doubt the new sender is defective? Are there any other tests I can do prior to removing the digital cluster? Thanks everyone!

Disconnect the tan wire that goes to the oil pressure switch. Turn the ignition on. The reading should be 80 plus or minus 3. Read 80? Next jump the tan wire to ground. The display should now read zero. If that is what happens you have a bad oil pressure sensor.

Let us know how it turns out.

You need to put an external gauge on the oiling system and verify what pressure youre really getting. It shouldnt be the cluster.

There is no failsafe to kill the fuel pump when pressure dies, although people try to debate that there is one. In my opinion, even if there was, dont you think the fuel would be shut off when the pressure goes red? It should shut off there but it definitely does not.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom