Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Low Tire Pressure Sensors

C

cclark905

I proudly own a 1996 CE LT4 Coupe. I have recently purchased a set of chrome ZR1 replica wheels, with tires mounted. I plan on bolting on the new wheels to the car myself. Can anyone tell me how to relocate the low tire pressure sensors from the stock rims to the new chrome wheels that I just purchased??? I am not sure where the sensors are located (I hope they are not located inside of the tire). If they are inside of the tire, then I will have to take it to a tire shop. If I do not relocate the sensors will the LTP light remain on???

Thanks!!!

Unfortunately, the sensors are strapped to the rim inside the tires. The only way to transfer them is to dismount the tires, transfer them and mount the tires back again.

Several years ago, I pulled the factory rims and replaced them with ZR1's. With no sensors the Check LPTS light did not come on initially. I believe that if you start the car 3 times in 20 minutes it forces a diagonstic on the LTPS system and then the light will come on and you can't turn it off without reseting the computer. This is from memory so I can confirm with the manual when I get home tonight. When light eventually came on I just took the dash apart and pulled the warning bulb out of the display.

I have 4 low mileage Pressure Sensors in my garage I will sell cheap if you are interested.

Cheers,

Lawrence

You guessed it. They are inside the tires, strapped around the wheel. You have a few things to consider. The sensors can be damaged removing the tire from the wheel to get them out. (experience speaking) If you install the sensor in a non run flat tire that goes flat. Squashed sensor and tore up inner tire. If you remove them all together with the wheel tire swap the dash lights for LTPWS and Flat Tire will be on. Just remove the bulbs.

Ditto the above.

The C4 tire pressure sensors are mounted on a hugh 'hose clamp' that goes around the inside of the wheel. The sensor is located directly opposite the valve stem and it's big enough so that if the tire guy breaks down the tire opposite the valve stem, he will break either the sensor or the 'hose clamp.'

To get tire pressure sensors into the new tires, you'll have to break the old and new tires/wheels down and and move them from one to the other.

A pain but worth it.

Thanks for the replies!!! My goal is to not be staring at the yellow LTP light on the dash when driving down the road, so I am going to first try mounting the new wheels without the factory sensors and see if the light comes on or not. If the light stays on, then the dash is gonna have to come apart and I will remove the light bulb.

Your 96 should have the sensors inside the tires and they are the valve stems .On your year car they are color coated blue green red and white I believe?

The o ring seal will need to be replaced .If you take them to the tire store be careful they will break the sensor.They are sorta cheap about $400.00 each.
DO not mix up the color sensors they have to go back in the same front and rear wheel they came out of.
Guaranteed the light will come on right away if you leave out the sensors ,been their done that.But if you leave them out you will not be able to inflate your tires?
If you have chrome valve stems then you have the sensors as your valve stem if your stem is black rubber then you have the bands.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/PPT/ppt_2.htm

96's are not the Valve Stems.

redc4corvette said:
Your 96 should have the sensors inside the tires and they are the valve stems .On your year car they are color coated blue green red and white I believe?

The o ring seal will need to be replaced .If you take them to the tire store be careful they will break the sensor.They are sorta cheap about $400.00 each.
DO not mix up the color sensors they have to go back in the same front and rear wheel they came out of.
Guaranteed the light will come on right away if you leave out the sensors ,been their done that.But if you leave them out you will not be able to inflate your tires?
If you have chrome valve stems then you have the sensors as your valve stem if your stem is black rubber then you have the bands.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/PPT/ppt_2.htm
"Pre-1997 electronic pressure sensors are attached in the drop center opposite the valve stem.

1997 and newer electronic pressure sensors are integral with the valve stem."

I purchased 1 of these for my 96, they are the valve stem, they are on a band of stainless steel.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

6 Shooter said:
"Pre-1997 electronic pressure sensors are attached in the drop center opposite the valve stem.

I purchased 1 of these for my 96, they are the valve stem, they are on a band of stainless steel.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter
Just wanted to see if you were on your toes.
Check link I provided.

Hey Homeboy . . .

redc4corvette said:
Just wanted to see if you were on your toes.

Check link I provided.
That's where these were copied from . . .

6 Shooter said:

Have you been into some of that Maui Wowie Wacky Weed?

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

And the verdict is.............

After the tires were lugged on, the low tire pressure light did NOT come on....and the wheels look great.....ZR1's from AFS Wheels.

Thanks for the input.

cclark905 said:

After the tires were lugged on, the low tire pressure light did NOT come on....and the wheels look great.....ZR1's from AFS Wheels.

Thanks for the input.
Dont get so excited yet. It aint over. It takes 20 miles of driving at speed before the sensors will output a signal to the computer. There are several things that have to happen before the computer will show a fault with the pressure. You have to be at speed for a length of time, the sensor has to tell the computer it is okay, then tell the computer the correct pressure is present. You have not met these criteria yet. As soon as the computer figures out the sensors are not sending the correct signals then both dash lights indicating faulty sensors and low pressure will come on sure as the sun will come up tomarow.

Sorry to rain on your parade but...BTDT

cclark905 said:

Thanks for the input.

It probably won't last. According to the Helms if the receiver/control module does not receive any wheel sensor signals for three consecutive thirty minute periods with the ignition in the on position, DTC 99 will be set and the Service LPTWS lamp will come on.

If/When it does, just pull the bulb.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Leave the dash alone!!!!!!!!!

Hi
I had the same problem only the run flat tires were replaced with reg tires and the light did come on and it drove me crazy.

Simple fix, pull the fuse and it will go away, but you will also lose your cruise control.

But then who uses it anyway?

Alan

kingman said:
Hi
Simple fix, pull the fuse and it will go away, but you will also lose your cruise control.

Alan

I do - everywhere. Even on the open road races at 110+.

And, I like having tire pressure sensors that work. It's very hard to tell when a 40 profile tire is low on air without checking it with a gauge every day. The low tire pressure warning can save your tire and maybe your butt.

So can cruise control but for a different reason.

kingman said:
Hi
I had the same problem only the run flat tires were replaced with reg tires and the light did come on and it drove me crazy.

Alan
You can use regular tires with LTPWS with no problems. It sounds like the shop either ruined your sensors, or rotated the wheels.

Sensors

I don't suppose after all these years, you still have those sensors in your garage???

Norman

Unfortunately, the sensors are strapped to the rim inside the tires. The only way to transfer them is to dismount the tires, transfer them and mount the tires back again.

Several years ago, I pulled the factory rims and replaced them with ZR1's. With no sensors the Check LPTS light did not come on initially. I believe that if you start the car 3 times in 20 minutes it forces a diagonstic on the LTPS system and then the light will come on and you can't turn it off without reseting the computer. This is from memory so I can confirm with the manual when I get home tonight. When light eventually came on I just took the dash apart and pulled the warning bulb out of the display.

I have 4 low mileage Pressure Sensors in my garage I will sell cheap if you are interested.

Cheers,

Lawrence

As you have probably found out, there are no new nor NOS TPS for the C4. Some Corvette part suppliers get used ones from wrecked C4s and resell them. New sensors went for around $390 from GM. As previously stated, each tire has a dedicated sensor and therefore you must install the correct sensor on each wheel. In 2007, I posted the chart below that listed the correct GM part numbers. Note that GM changed the sensors in 1993 and pre 1993 sensors will not work in 1993 - 96 Corvettes, nor will the 1993-96 sensors work on pre 1993 Corvettes. No other aftermarket sensor is available for Corvette C4s. GM did change part numbers for the 93-96 sensors sometime between the last 4 years, but both part numbers work in the vehicle if you should find them on the used market.

TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS
GM PART NUMBERS
04-20-07

1993 to 1996 [FROM 1994][Beige Color]​
LOCATION​
DRIVER SIDE​
LABEL COLOR​
PASSENGER​
LABEL COLOR​
FRONT​
GM88959446​
GM10161856​
GREEN​
GM88959445​
GM10161855​
BLUE​
REAR​
GM88959444​
GM10161854​
YELLOW​
GM88959447​
GM10161857​
ORANGE​

1989 - 1992 [FROM 1991][Black Color]​
FRONT​
GM10098495*​
GREEN​
GM10098494​
BLUE​
REAR​
GM10098497​
YELLOW​
GM10098496​
ORANGE​
Old Part No: 10161856 LF * I have this TPS
NOTE: The GM Parts Catalogue did not give colors for the 1993-96 tire sensors. I know the driver front is green and the passenger rear is orange. Therefore I assume the colors are the same for both sets.

Hope this helps.

Barrett

As you have probably found out, there are no new nor NOS TPS for the C4. Some Corvette part suppliers get used ones from wrecked C4s and resell them. New sensors went for around $390 from GM. As previously stated, each tire has a dedicated sensor and therefore you must install the correct sensor on each wheel. In 2007, I posted the chart below that listed the correct GM part numbers. Note that GM changed the sensors in 1993 and pre 1993 sensors will not work in 1993 - 96 Corvettes, nor will the 1993-96 sensors work on pre 1993 Corvettes. No other aftermarket sensor is available for Corvette C4s. GM did change part numbers for the 93-96 sensors sometime between the last 4 years, but both part numbers work in the vehicle if you should find them on the used market.

Barrett

Barrett, you'll appreciate this story. :chuckle

I found a set of NOS that fit mine somewhere around 2007 and had them installed to replace my dead ones. Just before I moved away from Colorado about four years ago, I had a new set of tires put on my 89 and I made a point of reminding them about the oddity of the sensors used in that year as it was an older car probably built before the tire guys were born. I was rudely told that they knew what they were doing and not to worry. After they destroyed three of them and found out what it would cost to replace them (using used ones as there were no new ones to be had and would have had to go back a few days later to have the tires dismounted/remounted when they came in with no guarantee that they even worked) and, seeing as how I was starting to become "slightly" unhinged at them, much to the enjoyment of the customers that were there and heard the salesman loudly tell me they knew what they were doing... I ended up only paying for one tire at a highly discounted rate (their cost) and, they covered the cost of Daniels Chevy removing the bulb from the information center for me.

What I did was to just cover the LTPS light with a piece of black tape. I know that at least one sensor must be bad, but how to figure that is a dilemma.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom