Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lowering Front End

C

corvettecrew

I was just wondering if this is possible?

If it is how do you do it? Is there a kit?

Thanks

Contact Vette Brakes & Products in Florida. Their Slalom Suspension front springs lower the car about 1.5". I have them on my '63

I ordered Mid-America's lowering kit and did mine myself. The front is very time consuming and knowhere as easy as the rear. If your going to do it yourself, send me an Instant Message with your email and I can give you detailed instructions of how it's done via a Corvette Fever article I have........

I just noticed you have an '81.......are you looking to lower the '81 or a C4?

Jay

I own an 81

But a friend of mine asked about lowering a C4

But, I have thought about installing the fiber glass spring and control arms from Mid America.

corvettecrew said:
.....I have thought about installing the fiber glass spring and control arms from Mid America.

The only thing I did to the front of mine was install the wedges ( a lot easier said than done) and that did the trick

Jay

Jay,

I installed the "wedges" myself. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a actual J....... # tool from G.M. It made the job go pretty easy, but it was akward.

It made the car look super hot.

Did you do this to the ZR, or your old 85?

69MyWay said:
Jay,

I installed the "wedges" myself. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a actual J....... # tool from G.M. It made the job go pretty easy, but it was akward.

It made the car look super hot.

Did you do this to the ZR, or your old 85?

Chris,
I did it to my ZR-1, I was also lucky because my Chevy dealer loaned me the "J" tool. I think it was the only time its ever been used by them :)

What "J" tool?????

I just lowered mine a couple weeks ago, and have no idea what this tool is that you are talking about.

It looks good, but there goes what little ground clearance I had, just in time for winter. :D

As you know from looking at the official G.M. manual, all the official G.M. authorized tools start with the letter J.

This is a strange looking tool unlike any spring compressor you have ever seen. It runs the width of the front of the car nearly and clamps to the spring at each end. As you crank it changes the arch of the spring to make it easy to put into place.

It can be done without it, but not nearly as easy.

Jay,

When I saw your car in Kissimmee the hood was up so I really did not notice it was lowered. Otherwise, I gurantee if I had seen with the hood down I would have noticed and complimented you on it. It makes the cars look so much more aggressive putting the tire tread up into the front fender well.

Chris, with my hood up you wouldn't have been able to notice the front. I did lower the whole car with the Mid-America kit. That's the only suspension mod I've made. However the "longer" rear spring bolts supplied by the aftermarket companies weren't quite long enough. The car was lowered but not yet how I wanted it. The passenger side bolt was bottomed out but the driver side bolt had about an inch of thread left. The only way to get the car lower was to get even longer bolts. Unfortuately, knowone sells the proper size. I had a guy custom make me a set for the rears and now the car is very aggressive looking. I have plenty more thread left if I ever had to make it lower for some reason......

Jay

Racer78 said:

With the car that low no problem with the tire hitting the fender if you driver it deep in a corner?

Keith, no problems yet. However, I don't do much hard corning at all with the car

Jay

Is there someone else here with the name Chris?

IS there another person in here named Chris besides me?

Ok, I guess a special tool would have made the job easier. I had to put the front pretty high to get the spring in there. Then again, I have been acused of doing things the hard way. :)

Lowering it does limit the suspension travel. I notice it on the bumps. I believe that it tops out easier.

Raise that front end up plenty!

The key to removing the front spring without the "J....." tool is to get the front end as high as you can off the ground.
And be carefull!
But it's really not that bad.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom