Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

lowering kits

A

aussie

does any one know about lowering kits ? are they just longer spring hanger bolts ?any info woulb be great.

aussie said:
does any one know about lowering kits ? are they just longer spring hanger bolts ?any info woulb be great.

Yes, the back end is just longer bolts with "ny-loc" nots (lock-nuts) so you can adjust to the desired ride hieght. Very easy to install, but you will never get both sides the same hieght!

Front on a 96 anyways, is much more of a pain in the ass to install! Must remove the front transverse spring from the vehicle completley. So one lower control arm needs to come off, both shocks, need a series of jacks (at least two floor jacks) and some common sense to do this without the GM special tool shown in the manual. But it can be done.
You are removing the old rubber spring retainer spacers and replacing with thin polyuretane wedges in there place. This will lower the front end a whole 3/4", that's about it!

Most kits come with directions, might want to obtain a GM service manual first, gives all torque spec's and how-to info you will need.

Buy the kit first, study the instructions, get a plan of attack, allow plenty of time, (a 2-day weekend should work), and most importantly, ice down lots of BEER you will need it!

Also: "Measure twice, cut once" works here too!

Some earlier C4's require purchase of additinal parts to work properly (84 to 87's I think)

Good Luck :drink

Just wait awhile, and let your springs get flat like mine :t

No just kidding :nono

I heard about something like a shorter A arm... But I really have no idea what I am talking about. As it is my vette is too low... If there is such a thing

Tom's right about the front being a pain in the arse. The first thing you might want to do is ball up the instructions and throw them in the trash. I didn't find find much use for them. Corvette Fever did a great step-by-step on how to lower the car which is what I used to do the job. You'll definately need the GM service manual for all the correct torque settings.

After I lowered mine, I still wasn't pleased with the rear height of the car. I thought it was still sitting to high. Abuddy of mine had custom bolts made that are a lot longer than the loering kit bolts. These bolts gave my car the slammed look I was going for.

Jay

Titanium Bolts

Would anyone be interested in buying Titanium bolts for this to reduce unsprung weight? Maybe a package with nuts?
What length would you want?
Stock?
1" longer?
2" longer?

Just getting a read. If there is enough interest, I may put something together.
Al

Al:
My stock bolts were 9" long, the last 1 1/2" is threaded.
This is on a convertible if that makes any diff.

But......, the stock bolts don't weigh that much :confused
Do you really think it would be worth the cost to get an 11" bolt made of titanium???

If you want a test car, I'm there!

Al:
My aftermarket rear spring bolts measure 10" long (not counting the head)

So I guess 10" rear spring bolts would work on a 96 vert. anyway.
Supplied nut is a "ny-loc" type nut.

Tom,

Call me naive...but why would you want to lower an already low car? Ya'll must not have speed bumps where you live....

Eagle85C4 said:
Call me naive...but why would you want to lower an already low car? Ya'll must not have speed bumps where you live....

hehe. yeah. where i work they have 'speed mountains'. the speed bumps didn't work to slow people down enough for our security folks. so they made these damn hills. i go 15mph and i'm trashed. 6-9mph and it's ok. slowed me down... :(

now as far as these bolts go. instead of spending $20 for a 'special set' from a Speed Shop or titanium bolts. how about just going down to the hardware store and getting some long carriage bolts. or just a section of threaded rod?

graham

Eagle85C4 said:

:confused The same reason someone takes a FAST car and makes it FASTER!

:confused The same reason women get BREAST IMPLANTS! :upthumbs

All three increase the :eek :eek factor!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom