Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lowering the Rearend - HOW??

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
We just completed a rebuild on the rear-end unit and have also put a new rear spring in the back. The car now looks like a stinkbug! I plan on completely rebuilding the front suspension but in any case, I would lower the front if it was as high as the back - down to at least its stock height. I have tightened the bolts on each side of the rear spring the farthest they can be and still I have about 6 inches or so of space between the tires and wheel well. Furthermore, I have adjusted all I can to get the tires to be aligned and they still toe in a little due to the height. I was thinking of just getting shorter bolts for each side but this would cause the spring to be "overtightened" I think and make for a real rough ride. Is this my only option? Any suggestions?

No, no, no, You have to go the other way.

You want to loosen the long bolts on each of the spring. The longer you make the distance between the trailing arm mount and spring mount on each side, the lower the rear will go. If you get LONGER bolts, you can make it go even lower.

Interesting you posted this. I have been eyeballing my 69 and feel the back is too low. Last night I tightened the rear spring bolts about 1/2" on each side. It seemed to bring it up some.

Good luck!

Chris

It is hard to tell in this picture, but the rear is a tad lower than the nose. I would like to drop the nose of mine, and I have room to do so on the front Vette Brakes and Products transverse spring, but I am already in the danger zone with my oil pan and header clearance.

New%20Rims%202.JPG

Jeez that car looks good Chris!!!!! A serious improvement from the last time I saw it. Now I gotta figure a way down for a look before BG.

Later............. Nut

Sweet, Chris

BTW, how are you liking the VB suspension kit? Didn't you get their ultimate performance pkg? Thinking of putting the same one in Xena.

Bill

I had replaced my rear spring years ago. I had the same problem as you. It stayed like that, I thought it would level out. It didnt. Ijust put inthe VBP 330lb composite spring. My car now sits lower in the rear than the front. VBP sent some long fine threaded bolts, longer than the extended bolts that i got from mid america. Try the bolts if not dump the spring.

Thanks!! I actually just ordered the new lower bolts! This should fix the problem!

69myway

69 myway

What holes are you using onyou suspension, I just put the vbp suspension on mine. rear end feels loose, front was to loose so went to the second hole towrds tires seemed to firm it up a bit.

wamp '74

Gadzooks Chris..there it is, even the ragtop is all pressed and unflawed looking, this is the first pic Ive seen of 69myway out stylin :cool

PS I got a dandy Burn on my calf, It just snuck up and got me good a few weeks ago, it will no doubt last me a lifetime:(

Re: 69myway

Wamp said:
69 myway

What holes are you using onyou suspension, I just put the vbp suspension on mine. rear end feels loose, front was to loose so went to the second hole towrds tires seemed to firm it up a bit.

wamp '74

I am also on the second to outside hole. It is nice and firm there.

When you say loose, is that side to side, up and down, ?

Thanks Tom C., little by little I am moving this car to the finish line.

69myway

I am on the first hole in the back seems to bounce alot over bumps in the back. was on second hole from center on the front and it bounced way to much, took nose dives over bumps. every time I change it I have to get car realigned it was way off after changing the front one hole. A plus to the suspension is that it tigtened up my steering tremendously , no body roll at all with the front and rear sway bars (corners like a champ), it also lowered the car quit a bit. Did you order yours with belstien shocks?

Wamp '74

ChevyAddict,

You didn't say whether you had a new leaf spring or fibergalss spring. I had a new leaf spring put in my car a few years back and it too rode very high. I, again like yourself, had to get the longer bolts. They are very near the end of their threads, but the car sits normally. Also, don't forget, that out of gear (at idle), the rear end sits a bit higher. But when you put it in gear, it will hunker down a little. And when (if) you stomp on it, it will squat even more. I had mine adjusted so it's level when the car is in gear, not in neutral/park.

The other option, if you have the leaf spring, is to remove one of the leafs...that will soften it up a bit...

Yea, I put the new bolts in and the back sits good now. The front is actually a little too low - it needs a rebuild and new front springs. Its funny about that hunkering down thing. I used to love how it did that but now with the new spring (not fiberglass) it doesn't do it much. Actually, I think technically it isn't supposed to do that. I was told by the shop that rebuilt my rearend that it is common for those rearends to go bad because of weak rear springs. FYI.... Maybe hunkering (even though it is cool as hell) isn't a good sign. :eek

(In terms of automatics)
I've never really heard that the car squatting when in gear is a good or bad thing. It's just the torque in it's most basic properties. When you put the car in gear, it wants to start turning something. Since the wheels aren't gong anywhere (due to you being on the brakes), the torque gets transferred (distributes itself) to the point of least resistance in the system.

I also didn't mention on mine that my rear alignment is done with a bit of negative camber, so that when I'm driving, it comes back to 0 degrees so I have the most tread on the road when it's most ciritical.

[Of course, I could be all wrong about this. I'm no mechanic, nor am I a physics major :D )

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom