Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lowering the Rearend.

80VetteL82

Corvette
1980 L82 Black/Red
Hows it going guys? I was wondering if anybody had any tips in lowering the rearend on my 1980 L82. Ive done all my suspension over, and in the rear I did a new composite monospring with all new mounts and KYB shocks, and the front has new coil springs rated at 460lbs i believe. I tried adjusting the rear spring bolts but it didnt really do much, the back still sits higher. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, 80VetteL82:W

Hey 80VetteL82

You can get longer leaf spring end bolts to keep lowering the rear ride height.
Its my understanding that the longer the bolts the lower you can go.
However as with all good things, to much can be to much.

At some stage in the lowering process you will run out of adjustment for maintaining the correct camber, dictating the need for adjustable strut rods, also your new shocks may bottom out, dictating a shorter stroke shock required.

As an easier alternative, I think all the known quality suppliers of vette parts have specific kits available which takes some of the guess work out of the equation.

Out of interest, I read that ideally you want to keep the rear end spring rate 20% softer than the front end spring rate on a C3, for best handling, maybe others can verify.

Good Luck Grant
:beer

alright great thanks. Yah I dont want to get very low anyways, I just want it to be even, or close to even with the front.

Yep, longer bolts would lower it. At least have the nut at the bottom of the bolt. (I drilled a tiny hole thru my nut/bolt and inserted a cotter pin, so it would never fall out again!)

Also, after you drive it for awhile, the new spring and bushings will settle in place and sit a little lower. I wouldn't do too much adjusting until you put a wee bit of driving time on it.

Yep, longer bolts would lower it. At least have the nut at the bottom of the bolt. (I drilled a tiny hole thru my nut/bolt and inserted a cotter pin, so it would never fall out again!)

Also, after you drive it for awhile, the new spring and bushings will settle in place and sit a little lower. I wouldn't do too much adjusting until you put a wee bit of driving time on it.

Thanks for the advice. Yah I rebuilt the suspension about a year ago, so its gotten plenty of driving time. I have the nuts almost all the way to the bottom of the bolt, and there was already a hole for a cotter pin. As I adjusted it I was measuring the space between the body and the top of the tire, and it didnt lower too much. The bolts that came with the new monospring were supposedly longer than normal for the purpose of adjusting, but I guess Ill have to try ordering longer ones.
Thanks again for the advice, 80VetteL82.:W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom