Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

lowering

EDDYVETTER

Corvette
73 Black coupe<>85 black coupe <>2002 black Z06
I would like to lower the rear end on my 85. Right now i have about 3 inches from the top of my tire to the fender.Want to make it about 1 inch is it possible to do without screwing the handeling up?

2 ways of doing this, cheap and expensive... cheap is w/ lowering blocks and longer bolts. I did this w/ my 89 coupe and it has worked well for over 12 yrs...

My 93 has Coil over shocks and if you see the thread on coilovers in the Callaway forum here at CAC, you will see my raves about it :) Handlles like nothing else and is trully independant.

FWIW, I paid about 450 bucks for parts & inst on the "cheap way" and the coilovers are just over 2k for the parts alone - about another grand to install.
Hope this helps. *89x2*

Lowering

Why not ? Decreased approach/departure angles. Looks neat, but you would take a beating on roads in N.E., Pa.

Thanks muddywaters didn't mean to be a wise a** . Just looking for input and yours is well taken. But do you think by just lowering the rear it would still effect my clearances. thanks in advance. Ron

EddyVetter:
I have my '94 up on jacks right now (installing new Hurst Billet Pro shifter), and have taken a good look at my suspension. I just sent a post to Skant (search "Front Spring"), which I'll copy paste here... may help you...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skant... don't worry, the front will drop, but it could take weeks or even months as others have stated. There is no adjustment except for changing the height of the rubber "wedges" above the center of the spring. In the mean time...

There's a good possibility that the entire car sagged somewhat over the years (giving you that nice low look). I can't say what your rear spring looks like, but it's very easy to adjust, thereby giving you a "level" ride regardless of the front height (at least your front nose won't be pointed up). Without spending a penny, and taking only about 10 minutes, you can raise the rear height by screwing in the castle bolts on each side of the rear spring. Just look under the car next to each rear wheel. There is a long (9") bolt going vertically through the spring. Pull out the cotter pin, and screw in the bolt (to raise), or screw out (to lower) the rear end. You don't even have to put the car up on jacks... easy... :Twist

Now, chances are that the rear spring rubber cushions (at top and bottom of those long bolts) are shot... really compressed, and hard as rock. That would tend to lower the rear also. If you wish, you can easily replace them. Put the rear of the car up on jacks. The wheels will drop under their own weight. Remove the wheels, and you will see the long bolts... now completely hanging loose and really easy to remove. Replacement cushions are $15.95 from VBP (www.vbandp.com). This will take care of the sag. :beer If you wish, order the cushions with two 10" bolts for better adjustment (and lowering cabability). I'm planning to do that myself this week, and considering lowering the front as well...

To lower the front requires replacing the wedges on top of the front spring. I've read that the spring will have to be completely removed, but it looks to me that with the wheels off, I could remove the spring's center bolts, then use a sharp chisel, or exacto knife, or the like to cut away the old wedge... not too difficult, I don't believe. Has anyone out there ever done this???
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, onto Muddywaters... You're right about NE PA. I'm sitting here in Sugarloaf watching the 3-10" of predicted snow falling (112+ inches so far this year). I work on The Square and often avoid crappy roads in WB when I'm in the Vette (what's up with Coal street... nearly impassable). The only reason I'm considering lowering the Vette is because the whole car is up on jacks, my rear bushings are shot, and I'll be ordering the 10" bolts (so I can easily adjust ride height) and poly cushions, and while I'm at it, I'm thinking about the front as well... lower center of gravity = better handling, better cornering, and looks great. The only reason I wouldn't do it is because of the crappy roads, and the new front spoiler I just put on. You may be right... I don't know... :confused

What color is your Vette... I'll be on the lookout (in another 2-3 weeks) if the snow ever stops... :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom