Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT-1 oil temp gages

eleebid

Corvette
1992 silver
Hi All,
I have an intermitant oil temp problem. The analog gage displays correctly but the digital read-out starts out correct but then starts fluctuating as the engine warms up. After a while it drops all the way to 'lo' which sets off the 'SERVICE ENGINE SOON' light. When I dive in the day this almost always happens. When I drive at night it occasionally happens. Has this happend to anyone? and what was the fix?
Thanks.

I have not had issues with my 92 oil temp displays. But the service manual mentions that the oil temp should be reading approximately outside air temp when the engine is cold. Simple check. And that a failure in the oil temp sensor circuit should set a code 52 (low oil temp failure) or a 62 ( high oil temp failure) The chart given in the manual gives the resistance value of the temp sensor. If the engine is cold and approximately 70 deg F your resistance value should be 3400 ohms resistance. Unfortuneately the next jump in oil temp readings on the chart is 100 deg.F at which you should measure only 1800 ohms. 160 deg = 450 ohms. 210=185 ohms. If the analog guage seems to be functioning correctly and no codes are set, I would assume that your problem lies in the display only. Intermittant faults are usually bad grounds or wireing problems. Yikes! The oil temp sensor sends information to the ecm. (one of the possible problems) This info is also used for the oil life monitor function and info to control a/c clutch and cooling fan operation as well. Kind of an important role in the grand scheme of things. Let us know if any codes are set.

2 codes set

I ran the dignostic and had two codes set:
27 which is Quad driver #2
52 Low oil temp

I saw in the manual that the temp is part of the Quad driver circut so it makes sense that a 52 would set off #27.
As usual as soon as soon as I posted this question it started behaving as it should. I expect it will return because it is intermitant.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom