Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: LT1 Exhaust Manifold Bolts

WillC4

Corvette
'94 LT1 Green Coupe. 6-spd. All Bolt-ons.
I will be swapping out my exhaust in the near future. However, the new setup has been built to utilize the stock exhaust manifold bolts. Im in a little dilemma, because all the aftermarket header bolts appear to be too short, and i am unfamiliar with the length of the stock bolts and studs, definitely more then 1 inch in length.

Now, i saw that napa sells a stud and nut kit, but not sure if it is long enough. Any suggestions on other places that might have what i am looking for?

Susurban Bolt. They are located in Warren and Clinton twp.,michigan Google them
Also ACE hardware.

However, the new setup has been built to utilize the stock exhaust manifold bolts.
Why can't you reuse the stock bolts?
In any case you could buy a length of UNC threaded rod ( 5/16th ? ) and some nuts and make your own studs
or measure the stock bolts for length and buy equivalent in Allen head bolts for easier access

^Actually, i wouldnt mind reusing stock bolts, but im kind of in a "what if" scenario that the stock bolts are in bad shape etc...
I am at a point where i should just remove an easily accessible exhaust bolt, measure it and/or take it to the parts store.
I did consider studs, my thoughts are:
-to install them, do i just finger tighten the rod, then tighten the nut on the new headers?
-Removal of studs? How is that process, use a clamp and twist out?

I got new bolts for LT1 headers at ACE. Max grade - 8, I think. I went with Torx head, for clearance with the flanges...

Remember, aluminum will give before the bolts will :eek:hnoes

It's going to be a booger on the pasenger side. Go with new bolts if you can. You only want to do this once.:thumb

ACE hardware has an outstanding bolt selection. Just about anything you can think of. Chrome bolts also.

Why can't you reuse the stock bolts?
In any case you could buy a length of UNC threaded rod ( 5/16th ? ) and some nuts and make your own studs

Bad idea.

Threaded rods are not hardened (ie: Grade 3), where as exhaust studs are hardened (ie: Grade 5 or better).

Stage 8 makes a plated locking exhaust manifold bolt (factory length) for factory manifolds.

ACE hardware has an outstanding bolt selection. Just about anything you can think of. Chrome bolts also.
If you use chrome make sure you use a good grade of threadlock. Chrome bolts have a tendency to loosen themselves.

Stage 8 makes a plated locking exhaust manifold bolt (factory length) for factory manifolds.

I've got Stage 8 header bolt kits on every car I own which has headers and they work very well. I have never had a properly-installed Stage 8 bolt loosen. One set of them has been in service for 15 years.

I've got Stage 8 header bolt kits on every car I own which has headers and they work very well. I have never had a properly-installed Stage 8 bolt loosen. One set of them has been in service for 15 years.

I had my stock manifolds ceramic coated and did not want raw bolts mounting them so I bought Stage 8 because they are coated. They are as good as safety wire but look much better. I sure wish there were around in the 70's because I sure had one heck of a problem with header bolts on my Chevelle's and Nova's with headers back in "the day" :thumb

... In any case you could buy a length of UNC threaded rod ( 5/16th ? ) and some nuts and make your own studs ...
That's what I did for a stripped aluminum bellhousing once.

UNC threaded rod

product name :  DIN,BS,UNC threaded rod
standard: DIN,ANSI,BS
nbsp;dia:3mm to 56mm
grade:4.6 to 10.9
material:Q195,Q215,Q235,45#,40cr,42cr.SS201.SS304,SS316

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom