Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT1 performance

Why are the Euro-spec Fords so much better than our American-spec Fords?:D

But you are absolutely right, they are professional drivers with the most favorable conditions for testing. Of course, that's not to say that other's can't achieve. But I think those numbers are really just a showcase of what the car is capable of doing and not necessarily something that's done everyday with ease.

Forgot this point

Any possibility that the car sent to the testers by the manufacturer could be just a little bit juiced?

Take for instance the 2001 Z06, Chevy claimed 0-60 in 4 seconds, but he best time any publication came up with was 4.3 I believe. I mean 3 tenths of a second doesn't really seem like that much, but when it's on the scale that low, then it's a lot!

However, one of the magazines did manage 0-60 in 4 seconds in a 2002 Z06. The power was upgraded by 20 HP and 15 pounds of torque, respectively, but could those have really made a .3 second difference?

Hi BullWinkle,
Remember the circumstances surrounding a manufacturers test and data compared to the Automotive magazine tests. The manufacturere has the car through the entire development process, hence they know what it takes makes the best numbers.
One day or even a week in a car is not enough time for the magazine test drivers to try every route to get the absolute best performance. They probably try what has worked in the past, and that may not be the best route. The condition on the day they have the car to test may not be the best either. So many variables.
For example, all those with C5 Coupes and or Verts could hop into a 2002 Z and come up with times and speeds considerably off from what the Z owner /driver might be capable of. Simply because the owner has more time behind his wheel, and has learned some of the little idiosyncrecies, (where's the spell check).
I'm sure that's probably much of what gives so many different numbers. I did notice that in some cases the magazine numbers are somewhat better. I think I saw a 1/4 mile speed a little better than Chevy's.
Stan

Good point

I never even thought about familiarity with the vehicle being a big factor when in fact, it's probably the biggest factor. I think that's especially a big factor in manual transmission cars, but not really that much in automatics. I think it really takes that much more skill to drive a manual, kudos to you guys who do it everyday! To me, it's a pain in the @$$!

Nothing like stirring all those ponies manually I say.
But sometimes I do wish for an auto, heavy stop and go traffic can wear out a left leg.

option labels

I have a 94 coupe and there are no numbers of any sort on my center consol. Is there any other place I can check? All I can access is the VIN number. Where can I find my RPO numbers?

DC-NH

Have you tried...

under the storage panel behind the drivers seat?

RPO info

Yes my stereo was installed there no information to be found. I haven't taken off the spare and check by the gas tank yet but it ridicules to hide such a important piece of information.

Thanks for the suggestion,

I run 13.8s in the 1/4 mile. This is with an auto with 2.59s.

Ahhh... magazines, what a joke. Look back, Motortrend, Road&Track, Chevrolet, books from Chevy, and they will all tell you a stock 1976 Vette with an L-48 will run 15.4 in the 1/4mile with its pitiful 180hp. Ask anyone who has a stock vette from this year, and they will tell you the only chance it has of doing that, is over a cliff. They ran 19's and 20s =( Big difference from the 15's they promised. I have talked to about 10 different guys I know, plus people in these boards, and they sit back and laugh. They too run 19's and 20's.......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom