Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Air Induction Upgrade Suggestions?

1996 LT4 Topic

Binkybubba

Corvette
1996 LT4, Coupe, Arctic White
Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket cold air induction or even ram air set ups for an LT4? I have not found any threads dealing with this and was looking for suggestions or recommendations on brand or type. Currently running K&N filter only in stock housing. Also if this type of mod is done does a guy need to look at upgrading MAF and or throttle body?:confused

Thanks for the expected great advice in advance from the largest pool of intelligent Vette aficianados on the planet!

Cheers, :beer

My 93 is not a LT4 (obviously) but I think I have some valid input for you.
If your car is stock, or close to stock. I would not even worry about this.
My 93 with the exception of a manual fan switch and cat back exhaust is bone stock. I went faster at the drag strip with my stock air box/paper filter compared to my K&N/Cut Air Lid set up. I left the stock setup on the car. I have no need for the open air element. No significant difference, in fact I went slower.

Now on a highly modified car with head work, cams, displacement increases you may benefit from a increase in air induction/as well as exhaust modifications. The LT1/LT4 air intake tubing, throttle body, intake, heads, cam, exhuast are so well matched together that most easy bolts on do little to increase airflow or HP on an otherwise stock engine. You may get some but its not worth the money in my book.

I'd save my money for head work, different cam,etc....

Thanks for the sensible advice. Thats the kind of no b.s. smarts I am looking for. Since the LT4 already has cam and head upgrade from LT1 I think I will leave that alone but I was also looking at exhaust as it's going to need it soon anyway. Thats one reason I thought more "air" out needs more air in. Seems the basic plumbing is also a great piece of engineering and that mufflers only have been recommended by some.

Thanks for the sensible advice. Thats the kind of no b.s. smarts I am looking for. Since the LT4 already has cam and head upgrade from LT1 I think I will leave that alone but I was also looking at exhaust as it's going to need it soon anyway. Thats one reason I thought more "air" out needs more air in. Seems the basic plumbing is also a great piece of engineering and that mufflers only have been recommended by some.

I installed a SLP intake from mid-america on my LT-4 while we had the car on a chassis dyno. Instant 16 h.p. increase after simply putting it on. I also have the exhaust mufflers deleted, and smooth air intake Power couplers, once we finished with the dyno tune our best numbers were 344 RWHP with no other modifications. I highly recommend the SLP intake and power couplers, hard to argue with better air in & better air out imho. I saw the results at the drag strip....... ;)

The LT4 may benefit from increasing air flow but as with any thing your results may vary. One thing is for sure, long tube headers work, you'll see an increase for sure. Maybe move the HP and Torque curves a bit as well.

intake

My 96 LT4 had an SLp intake with 3 K&N filters on it when I purchased it The car runs great and the intake looks nice with the 3 runners and filters

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom