Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Collectibility

1996 LT4 Topic
Nice post, agree completely! My LT4 CE came with a set of untouched original Goodyear runflats, with the packaging still on the tires, tucked away in a dark A/C space. Someday I will put these back on, but it will be for show way down the road. Cheers!

LT4CE said:
Also 164 with the torch red leather, but even though there are even fewer of those, I just can’t feature a red interior on a silver Vette.

Check out my Avatar.

Check out my Avatar.

Upon closer inspection, I see your LT4 emblem. I've been looking on the internet for something like that but can't find one. I'm afraid they may be difficult, if not impossible to find. Can you point me in the right direction?

not to tread on thin ice, but the only one I found wason eBay, but was not that nice... and it was... red! ;)

(disclaimer: being red wasn't why it wasn't nice!)

Upon closer inspection, I see your LT4 emblem. I've been looking on the internet for something like that but can't find one. I'm afraid they may be difficult, if not impossible to find. Can you point me in the right direction?

not to tread on thin ice, but the only one I found wason eBay, but was not that nice... and it was... red! ;)

Here is my answer, albeit might be tough in some jurisdictions :thumb:

My point was some folks like a certain color combination & some folks don't. I guess that is why there are so many choices out there! :)

I like the Grand Sport with the Torch Red interior. Not many out there, also. Thanks 6 Shooter for the prime example you posted!

When I first purchased my Vette, one needed sunglasses just to look at the interior, much less even getting inside of the darn thing. I immediately bought black sill plates, black cargo mat and black carpet savers to "tone down" the red! :thumb

My optometrist says my eyes have not suffered any permanent damage. Thank God for small favors! :rotfl

If you find an "LT4" emblem, my advice would be to buy it and then paint it the color combo you like. I know there are no red on black ones out there. I have one on my rear bumper and I am keeping it! :boogie

My point was some folks like a certain color combination & some folks don't. I guess that is why there are so many choices out there! :)

I like the Grand Sport with the Torch Red interior. Not many out there, also. Thanks 6 Shooter for the prime example you posted!

When I first purchased my Vette, one needed sunglasses just to look at the interior, much less even getting inside of the darn thing. I immediately bought black sill plates, black cargo mat and black carpet savers to "tone down" the red! :thumb

My optometrist says my eyes have not suffered any permanent damage. Thank God for small favors! :rotfl

If you find an "LT4" emblem, my advice would be to buy it and then paint it the color combo you like. I know there are no red on black ones out there. I have one on my rear bumper and I am keeping it! :boogie

Yes, to each their own. My color just isn't red. (odd, since I'm wearing a red shirt today...) :D I couldn't feature that GS with the torch red interior either. I like colors that are less bright. I'm not giving up on the LT4 emblem just yet. If I find one that looks good, I will take your advice and buy it, regardless. Re-painting it is a great solution! :thumb

Excellent idea! I will check into it, thanks!

You might be surprised, it could work for you too! I was amazed that nobody in GA had done this, so maybe it is available for your state. Its definately worht checking out, and pretty cool too! :cool

I had a serious collector tell me that meaningful collectibility ceases at a couple hundred units. That doesn't mean that larger production runs won't be worth more, but the big buck items have to be rare, not scarce.

Collectibility

I had a serious collector tell me that meaningful collectibility ceases at a couple hundred units. That doesn't mean that larger production runs won't be worth more, but the big buck items have to be rare, not scarce.

I think you are probably right. But there are exceptions to the rule, like the muscle car craze. A 65 vette with the 396 is worth a fortune and we all wish we had one in the garage - 2187 units. A 70 LT1 is also a good investment and had over 1000 units. This is not to say that a vehicle that is truly rare with only a few hundred off the prod. line will be worth more and might be a better investment over the long haul. You have to also ask how many survived, and I would venture to say that the hot engines of old have largely been blown away with few put away for posterity, making the actual numbers remaining closer to your "rare" range. :thumb

I think you are probably right. But there are exceptions to the rule, like the muscle car craze. A 65 vette with the 396 is worth a fortune and we all wish we had one in the garage - 2187 units. A 70 LT1 is also a good investment and had over 1000 units. This is not to say that a vehicle that is truly rare with only a few hundred off the prod. line will be worth more and might be a better investment over the long haul. You have to also ask how many survived, and I would venture to say that the hot engines of old have largely been blown away with few put away for posterity, making the actual numbers remaining closer to your "rare" range. :thumb

Right - cars with larger production numbers bring big money, but only numbers matching examples, Soooooooo many hot rod Chevys were blown up at the strip or on the street that of 3,000 examples, only a couple hundred may still exist in original form. We are seeing that at the auctions with Vettes, Chevelles and especially Novas. It's rare to see a numbers matching hipo Chevy II, even though they made thousands.

I think that in the next 10 years people will come to appreciate the LT4 equipped cars more and more. I mean these 1996 cars were only produced with this engine for 1 model year making them somewhat rare. It is a very stoutly built engine that i think someday in the not so distant future will be somewhat of a modern day 1970 LT1 in that it was and is somewhat of a sleeper overshadowed by some of the newer body styles. This can only enhance its collectibility down the road and personally, i like the styling of the 1996 over the c5 body style with its fatter rear end and center exhaust. It just seems to me that the c4 body style encompasses more of the older exaggerated high fender styling just smoothed out more for aerodynamics. It is a timeless style that more people will come to appreciate more as time goes on. the 96 is kind of like an older muscle car but with modern ammenities. That's just my take on a late saturday night. if you would like to comment on my ramblings please feel free i would look forward to it. Thanks

I agree that LT4 equipped Vettes ('96) will become more collectable. All Vettes (to me-there's a Vette for everybody's price range who really wants one) are collectable. But for the guy who has a thick wallet and can have a collection....I assume LT4's would be on the list just because of their status being a one year only engine that's VERY durable to boot. As with all Vette's, just a matter of time. Conversely however, your remark regarding the (70's) LT1 as I understand your comment hints that LT4's are as great as the LT1....in my opinion the one year exclusiveness coupled with it's durability put it (LT4) in a class by itself because of one year only (only second engine I think) with those merits, but the LT1 is (although built for several MY's) exclusive because not only does it shares the above merit of posessing the durability but it also sets the benchmark in 350 small block design by it's capacity to 'rev' (high RPM) the way it can/does making it so quick and allowing the Vette to handle better (for it's time) because of reduced weight. To me, that in itself places LT1 in a category all by itself.....LT1 and LT4 (in my opinion) do not belong in the same category because LT4 one year only (only second engine I think to claim that status) and the LT1's rev'ing capacity.....and lets not forget that there is what.....25 plus years difference in their age.....both are great engines.....but if I had to choose one of the two, my choice would be the LT ................!!!!! :D

v6r96q.jpg

Starting in 1992, New Jersey tuner SLP would begin building hopped-up Firebirds that you could order through your local Pontiac dealer. Up through 1997, SLP had stuck to tweaking the stock LT1 V-8, and the following year it would begin working on the new LS1 V-8.

At the end of 1997 though, SLP was able to get its hands on the last few Corvette LT4 V-8 engines rolling off of GM's lines, and just 25 to 30 Firehawks slipped out the door with the quick-revving 330-hp V-8 under their hoods. Naturally, we had to test one.​

"The excellent acceleration test numbers just begin to communicate the LT4's gusto, because getting the 275/40ZR17 tires to hook up requires a delicate launch with just 1500 rpm on the tach," Jack Keebler noted.​

"But it does have a drawback: It's practically a traffic hazard. We had to factor in an extra half-hour on gas station trips for handling questions from the car-crazed.​

"If low-altitude scouting is the mission with an occasional hunk of Mustang flesh as an in-flight snack, this bird is the hot ticket."​
A Thunder Chicken! I like the car too, and its alias...

CG

For all the California folks, I have an LT4 emblem on Mine. Its Ca. Lic. Plate 96LT4CE

Hi everyone. Does anyone have an up to date value on c4 currently. Are we seeing any upswing and are there any combinations that are singled out besides the collectors edition or the grandsport? thanks!!!:)

Hi everyone. Does anyone have an up to date value on c4 currently. Are we seeing any upswing and are there any combinations that are singled out besides the collectors edition or the grandsport? thanks!!!:)

For my sake, I'm hoping the 96 CE with the LT4 will be considered collectible at some time in the not too distant future!

I keep an eye on the local Corvette market and right now in the SF bay area, it's definitely a buyer's market for Corvettes in general and C4's in particular. C5 Z06's are great bargains right now, often available for only slightly more than non-Z06 C5's. And a year ago, I never saw a C6 advertised for less than $30K, but now there are many.

Early C4's are comfortably under $10K, with many in the $5k to $7k range. Late C4's can be had (in apparently good condition with low miles) for $10K to $12K.

Here's some current C4's offered on craigslist:

92 ZR-1, 60K miles, just under $20k.
91 ZR-1, 14K miles, $29K.
86 yellow vert, just under 23K miles, $18K.
96 white vert, LT1, 70K miles, just under $13K.
96 LT4, 62K miles, $9,850

C4 ZR-1's are definitely dropping in value. The price will probably have to drop on the 91 in order for it to sell. The 92 seems like a pretty decent deal. The 86 and the 96 LT1 will probably have to come down in price before they sell. The LT4 does have some mods (body kit, racing stripe) so maybe that's turning some people off. The asking price for that Vette a few months ago was $11K.

Hopefully once (if?!!!) the C7 comes out, the C4 will start to be viewed as more of a collectible Vette, especially the LT4. Us LT4 owners just have to be patient! Mine's not a daily driver, so I can enjoy it and wait for the value to increase and hopefully keep it at relatively low miles.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom