Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Collectibility

1996 LT4 Topic
I have a1996 Grand Sport w/55000mi it has taken a few prizes and always complimented ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362019736.801472.jpg

Sorry for awakening such an old thread. The GS is without a doubt a collectable car and as such more iconic. The CE though, because of limited LT-4 installations, should be more collectable albeit less iconic. A regular Vette is even that much less iconic and as far as drawing the collectors and money the icons have it in spades.

Unless we drive to the point there are no more normal vettes with LT-4's left to be had then they will not fetch that top dollar. Now to the nother end of the coin! This makes for purchasing one of these awesome cars feasible for us commoners. I can enjoy that feeling of actually driving it without the looming fog of guilt around my head.

I was looking at one of those garage queens but could not justify having it. In the end it was a question of taking that responsibility, I couldn't be the one to leave it in untouched condition for others to admire. I wanted a driver to enjoy. Too that end I applaud those garage queens as now in another 30 years or so there will be a physical remembrance of both current and past memories for me to enjoy at my local car show.

lt4 Collectibility

I have a CE LT4 convertible with 11,000 miles on it. I agree with all of the comments here. For me except for the paint and white stripe and the rear bolt on fenders and wheels/tires the cars are the same. I think the GS will always bring more money then the CE but I love the sebring silver body over the blue striped black painted zr-1 wheels. Just my taste. I do believe the values of the CE and GS LT4's will increase in the near future if they maintain low millage.

Mine is a bone stock 96 Competition yellow LT4, I recently donated it to a Chevy dealer for a long weekend to do a public unveiling of the '14 C7. The dealer wanted to have one of each generation with the C7 inthe center.
It was real neat to have my Vette there and maybe its first time on the showroom floor.

Attachments

• Eltee4 at McDermotts 101013.JPG
    Eltee4 at McDermotts 101013.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Mine is a bone stock 96 Competition yellow LT4, I recently donated it to a Chevy dealer for a long weekend to do a public unveiling of the '14 C7. The dealer wanted to have on eof each generation with the C& inthe center.
It was real neat to have my Vette there and maybe its first time on the showroom floor.

Very cool, indeed! C4's were well represented by your beautiful LT4! :thumb

LT 4 Collectibility

Thank you , it was a real nice roll out by the dealer

I own a 96 CE with the only option being the LT-4 motor. Arctic white over light beige saddle. It has a Bose cd installed that is not on the build sheet so it must have been dealer added? Third owner, not a daily driver for any of us, car presently has 48k miles. I bought it back in 2002 primarily for the cars outstanding performance and bare bones options along with thinking it might be a future collectible. Jury is still out on the collectible issue, it will be interesting to see how the C4 series and LT-4 cars in general do value wise in the future. One point to consider is that a lot of what drives C1-C3 values is the nostalgia effect plus many buying those cars owned them when they were younger. I don't anticipate the C4 or later series following in those footsteps. I would be interested in hearing others opinions regarding future collectibility of our LT-4 cars.

Just Waking Up and Old Thread

I was just looking up local LT4 cars and came across a Red roadster where the seller was touting it's rareness based on LT4 in combination with all black interior and suggesting as 1 of 75. Kind of hard to believe. Anyway I starting thinking about my unit as I have never seen another like it. I have a 96, Arctic White, LT4 and interior 70I. I have seen the spec sheets that show 703 Red, 704 Red CE, 705 Red Black GS but no 70I as it shows on my build sheet. Window sticker says Torch Red. Actual is visible in my profile pictures as Black upper trim and all lowers Torch Red. Am I crazy? Can anybody define 70I?

God bless the fallen, and honour our troops this day and always.

Cheers, :beer

You are absolutely correct.

Torch Red interior (as you have in your Vette) in a 1996 Vette which was not a Collector Edition or Grand Sport has a RPO code of 703.

Looking at your pictures, you definitely have a Torch Red interior. Your color scheme is how Corvette used the two colors (Torch Red & Black) in a Torch Red interior.

I am not familiar with the RPO code you have for your Vette.

I have access to a database which details how many cars were built with particular options. This database works with VINs. Works with most manufacturers.

:w

Last edited:
I was just looking up local LT4 cars and came across a Red roadster where the seller was touting it's rareness based on LT4 in combination with all black interior and suggesting as 1 of 75. Kind of hard to believe. Anyway I starting thinking about my unit as I have never seen another like it. I have a 96, Arctic White, LT4 and interior 70I. I have seen the spec sheets that show 703 Red, 704 Red CE, 705 Red Black GS but no 70I as it shows on my build sheet. Window sticker says Torch Red. Actual is visible in my profile pictures as Black upper trim and all lowers Torch Red. Am I crazy? Can anybody define 70I?

God bless the fallen, and honour our troops this day and always.

Cheers, :beer

I found that code referenced here, fwiw:

C4 RPO codes

and also here:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/956104-c4-rpo-faq.html

one other place:

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/96_specs.htm

Maybe on the '96, it's a carryover from the Grand Sport?

Last edited:
Holding its value

My L T 4 is a great car. I have had it for three years bought it for $10,000 took it to a show two weeks later and was offered $18,000 another show two weeks after I turned down $20,000. I will just keep it as long as I can . The engine winds up so nice I love to hear it. As far as the 330hp a lot of people say it is a lie. They tested 150 L T 4s off the assembly line and had anywhere between 345 and 380hp. So they are out there AND the L T 4 gives the ZR1 a very close race. I have had two C4s my first I had for 9 years an 84 Crossfire, and had a good time with it. C 4s to me are the best style corvettes, MY 2 cents :cool!:

LT 4 Collectibility

It will definately be interesting to see how the market develops for these cars going forward. I bought my CE in 02 paying $18k with 45k miles and only put an additional 4k since. Arctic white over saddle, two option car, those being the LT4 and Bose CD. My thought was to keep the mileage low and wait for the car to appreciate which of course has not yet happened. Car is garaged and always covered. Great driver, I am considering forgetting about any possible appreciation and enjoy driving the car on a more frequent basis. What would you do?

John Mekisich said:
Great driver, I am considering forgetting about any possible appreciation and enjoy driving the car on a more frequent basis. What would you do?

I'd just enjoy it.

Not much sense in keeping something nice for someone else that you never had the chance to enjoy... You only get one trip through the turnstyle!

L t4 collectbility

:cool!: I drive it almost everyday aim only here in summertime car is stored for winter Sept . to April. Mostly to cruise night or shows. In 3years i put on2,500 miles. I love the power and if you check out the tachs in all vette's they go to 8,000, I THINK the L T 4 is the ONLY one that goes higher than them all with a high red line.

Last edited:
CE LT4's

It will definately be interesting to see how the market develops for these cars going forward. I bought my CE in 02 paying $18k with 45k miles and only put an additional 4k since. Arctic white over saddle, two option car, those being the LT4 and Bose CD. My thought was to keep the mileage low and wait for the car to appreciate which of course has not yet happened. Car is garaged and always covered. Great driver, I am considering forgetting about any possible appreciation and enjoy driving the car on a more frequent basis. What would you do?

Hey John...Life is too short, Enjoy the car. I bought a 96 CE LT4 loaded with a bunch of options a year ago with 27K miles for $17k. Its my everyday car April thru Nov. One observation on yours, I thought '96 CE only came in Sebring Silver paint, and Black, Red, or Gray Interiors. Was yours repainted and interior switched out?

:beer:beer

ken

Hey John...Life is too short, Enjoy the car. I bought a 96 CE LT4 loaded with a bunch of options a year ago with 27K miles for $17k. Its my everyday car April thru Nov. One observation on yours, I thought '96 CE only came in Sebring Silver paint, and Black, Red, or Gray Interiors. Was yours repainted and interior switched out?

:beer:beer

ken

Hey Ken,

Typo on my part, have a coupe NOT a CE. Great buy on your car btw.................

John

One owner competition yellow LT4 coupe 15K miles

Hi, I've found a one owner full load 96 Competition Yellow LT4 Coupe with 15K miles. Been in storage and unmolested with a nice assortment of documentation, both keys and fobs. I'm wondering if anyone would know what a fair price would be for this car. I'm dealing with the original owner. Any help would be appreciated.

LT 4 Collectibility

Hi, I've found a one owner full load 96 Competition Yellow LT4 Coupe with 15K miles. Been in storage and unmolested with a nice assortment of documentation, both keys and fobs. I'm wondering if anyone would know what a fair price would be for this car. I'm dealing with the original owner. Any help would be appreciated.

Good question, the car is somewhat rare as only 488 cars were Competition Yellow in 1996. Total production after adjusting for GS (1000) and CE (5412) is 15124 so that color is just over 3% of production. Given the mileage one would assume the car is pristine? Has it led a garaged life and are the maintenance records in order? Are you considering it as a keeper or for resale? Last question, why is the original owner looking to get out of it and what is their asking price?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom