Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 supercharger?

1996 LT4 Topic
J

James Price

Has anyone installed a supercharger of any kind on an LT4????
I looked at the procharger web site to see if they made one but I only saw an application for an LT1.
Anyway..after reading the reviews on the procharger setup I would stay away from it..many folks really disliked the product and the service.
How about a Nitrous system??? I'm just thinking about adding more power but has anybody done this with an LT4??

is your car stock?

LT4

Yes, the car's engine has not been modified internally.
It has a Corsa Exhaust, K&N filter, and an Air Foil inside the air intake just in front of the throttle body. Just the cheap add-on stuff that promises more power but probably doesn't deliver.

Compression on an LT 4 is 10.8 I figured forcing air into that might cause overheating, detonation, or both.

"How about a Nitrous system??? I'm just thinking about adding more power but has anybody done this with an LT4??"

Bare'n mind that anytime you use laughing gas systems you will create a major strain on the motors lower end..........naturally aspirated enhancements are a lot more costly in the beginning, but definitely not in long run............IMHO

LT4 stock compression ratio in not ideal for a supercharger. Can it be done? Of course it can. But you'll run into problems with detonation the second you try to get any real power out of it. You may need to run a bigger than normal intercooler. Good luck installing a large cooler on a vette, there is no room. There's a guy on the CorvetteForum who is running a Vortec I think on a stock LT4. Last time I saw he was having major detonation problems and was asking for help on trying to solve the problem. You would be better off with CNC'd heads, a ZZ9 or LT4 cam and some other add ons.
Well you could just rebuild the motor for the supercharger, which is the ideal thing to do if you want a supercharger.
Or just run the supercharger at like 3 pounds of boost... :( :L

For the money spent on going charger for an LT4, you would get more bang for the buck with a top end package. Go with the top end especially if you plan to autocross, open track.

I came to the same conclusion as CKA, and my heads/cam
project is underway, the car is apart.

How many of these units do you think vortec sells every year?
I can't believe it would be enough for a reliable system, as
reliable as the c4. My car is a daily driver.

I found the charges themselves (new) to be much more
expensive than heads/cam with my mechanic doing the work.

Hey sothpaw,

Since you have the car apart, have you considered changing pistons for a higher compression ratio?

Please let us know when you put it back together and run it at the track!

Pistons--no, I have not pursued that as I have not heard of
anyone changing that in the LT1 to get more power.

I'm only doing what is tried and true and will be reliable for
the car. So no pulleys, No meziere water pump. No hotcam,
I want driveability in stop&go traffic.

The GM LT4 Hot Cam is supposed to be a very good cam for the LT1/4 motors. From what I've heard, there is slightly more lope at idle, and you need a little more gas to take off, but the reliablity and driveablity are not affected much, if at all.

Jason

Twiget,

If it takes any more gas to take off, I would call that less drivable.
In stop and go on I-95, you don't want to have to concentrate
even a little on your take off.

My cam will be like the hot cam but less duration, 212/224
instead of 218/228. Idle will be smoother, lope less noticeable.

yes N2O works...there is a "dry" system available. it does not require additional fuel source. the additional fuel is available
from your own injectors

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom