Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

luggage light always on.

kmac73

Corvette
1973 RED CONVERTIBLE and 2003 RED CONVERTIBLE
I have a 73 convertible. My luggage courtesy light has power to it all the time. I thought it was controlled by the front door jam switch but that doesn’t seem to be the case. There’s another door switch on the aft side of the door, could this be the switch that controls the luggage light? If it is and it’s the same structure as the switch at the front, how do you get access to the back of it? Thanks for any help.

Dunno about '73, but on a '72, the rear compartment lamp is controlled by the glove box light switch.

Not sure but is it also controlled by the headlamp switch? Try rotating the headlamp switch as to dim the dash lamps. I know this works in most cars. I'm at work so I can't go out to mine and check it out.

kmac73 said:
I have a 73 convertible. My luggage courtesy light has power to it all the time. I thought it was controlled by the front door jam switch but that doesn’t seem to be the case. There’s another door switch on the aft side of the door, could this be the switch that controls the luggage light? If it is and it’s the same structure as the switch at the front, how do you get access to the back of it? Thanks for any help.
the button you talk of sounds like the alarm button....its accessed by removing your rear tire and locating the little door held in place by a screw in the front of the rear tire well on both sides....i dont think this is the problem with your light....but im not positive as i have a coupe....i had a problem with the button on mine being jammed into the body of my car and had to re-rivit the thing in place after putting it back thru from that panel...its there...trust me...i couldnt believe it myself.
good luck dude....Chas :beer

The luggage light is controlled by three switches- one on each of the driver side and passenger side door jambs, located at the front of the door on the pillar post itself. The third switch is integral with the headlamp/ dash dimmer switch and will turn on the lights with full rotation of the knob.

Note that ALL the coutesy lamps should go on/off at the same time. If your luggage lamp is operating independantly of the under dash lamps, you have a serious wiring error.

The door switches located aft of the doors are for the alarm system and the 'door ajar' warning only- no connection to the courtesy lamp circuit.

Vettehead Mikey said:
The luggage light is controlled by three switches- one on each of the driver side and passenger side door jambs, located at the front of the door on the pillar post itself. The third switch is integral with the headlamp/ dash dimmer switch and will turn on the lights with full rotation of the knob.

Cool! So I right about the headlamp/dimmer switch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom