Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MAF Diagnosis........

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Has anyone experienced how a car will run when this sensor is faulty? I have a car that is punching out this code and the car is running really rough (won't idle, sounds like it is misfiring) - I suspect it is because the fuel mixture is inadequate. Is this true? The sensor is very expensive to replace so I want to make sure it is necessary to do that. Don't have any experience with Tuned Port Injection so this is a first.

It is an 85 Z28. We bought it strictly to part out and to keep the TPI unit and motor but the car is in too good of shape to disassemble (would feel guilty) so I think we are going try to use it for awhile!!

MAF

I agree about the price, especially for tube with a wire in it. I have '86 that runs great except the check engine light will illuminate, the car will start running like it not getting fuel, spark or air for a while then the light (check engine) goes out and everything is fine again. The code say I need to replace the MAF. The best deal Ive found so far is from Eckler's. $199 plus $75 core gets a rebuilt MAF. I haven't ordered one yet but will in the next few weeks.

Good luck with yours.

And why don't C5's wave back?

patio :)

Mine just failed on my 1996. The 1996 goes into a default mode to keep the car running (sort of) My check engine light came on and the car would stall with no warning and re start but maybe not right away.

1995 vetts dont have MAF sensors they have MAT's

anyways,, my car idles really bad too,,

there is alot of things that can go bad,,

ICM

take that out and let a auto place test it,, they can do that auto zone or something
then do spark plug wires
make sure your spark plugs are gap correct .035 or someting liek that,, i think it is
then gas filter
don't touch your tps sensor or your timing,, thats a huge mistake i made,, hehe

Hehe I acutally last week (talked about in my 40 man hour post) did a whole bunch of work and one of them was cutting out my filter lid.

Of course I got curious about the MAF (Screens Etc..) so I simply PULLED THE THING OUT! Started the car and it ran FINE for about 30 seconds then it seems like it doesn't know how to Idle properly but It never misfired on me. When I pluged it back in it ran fine instantly (I reset my computer using the BATT after this little stunt to make sure I was OK)

hope that helps.

I removed the screens from my MAF and removed the louvers from my air filter cover. Really helped with the power, but when I passed some jerk that cut me off on the freeway at WOT in the rain it sucked water into the MAF and it ran really bad. I could barely keep it running. Pulled over and unplugged the MAF and ran smoothly all the way home. If your MAF is bad simply unplugging it will force the ECM into limp home mode. It's an easy test for a bad MAF.

I bought another modified MAF from Corvette Central. Living in Washington the rain is something you just live with.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Again why I was leary on removing the screens after I did the cut out, seems to me I was right. Having a little protection might be a good idea...

TPIS is right when they said the only reason the MAF is flat on the bottom is so you can hold it on a table and attack the screens with a knife!

With their big mouth manifold, large runners, 52mm throttle body, ported heads, 1.6 rockers and their chip I am no longer power limited, I'm traction limited! Best mods I ever made. God, I love my Corvette!!!

Dennis

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom