Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mallett Cars

6SpdZ06

Corvette
2002 Electron Blue Z06
I was at Bloomington Gold this past weekend, and talked to Chuck Mallet about the Mallett 435. Does anyone out there have one of these cars, or even the 396 Mallett? If so, what are your thoughts here, thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. Although I have never owned a Mallett modified Corvette, based upon what I've heard in the industry, they come with a rock-solid reputation. Materials are high quality as is their workmanship.

Again, I've never had any personal experience with them, so everything I've heard as been here-say. Let's see if any other members can help out.

Mallett Brothers????

Hi Jeff,

Our firm has tested several of the brothers cars over the last few years.

What can I help you with or answer performance related issues.

Stan

Mallet cars...

Are they tuners kind of like Lingenfelter?

Mallett Brother....

Yes, they are after-market tuners but are on a much smaller scale than Lingenfelter.

Lingenfelter has been in the game for awhile though aswell.....i think he started racing in NHRA in the 70s...not 100% sure though. He's one of, if not, the best small-block chevy engine builder around. Like they said, from what i've heard, Malletts cars have a very solid reputation. In one the the latest issues of Vette, a guy had a patriotic scheme C5 that was his 2nd Mallett car, so obviously they're doing something right if someone buys 2 of their cars...

As far as the #s go, i think most of the kits are hp # related, kinda like Lingenfelters Stage I 550 and Stage II 650. Dont quote me on that, but thats just what i assume. Never owned a Mallett car, but his stuff seems to be pretty $$ just like almost every other tuner. LPE is just outrageous in some instances 56k for the TT 427 in a fullsize truck :O like 1k+ for just single HRE LPE signature rims (depends upon size)....good thing about it, is it's all backed by warrantys and they've got massive research behind their work.

I would say you 'can't' go wrong but...from what i've been hearing, MTI and Hennessey are getting bad reps. MTIs stroker kits have been slipping sleeves and Hennessey has been cheating people upon power. Just what i heard...not wanting to step on toes.

Mallet is based right down the street (literally, we're both on Bagley Rd in Berea, OH).

Being as close as they are, I have kept a couple of mental notes over the years between them and Lingenfelter. In MY OWN opinion,

1) Lingenfelter gives more bang for the buck.

2) Lingenfelter is MUCH more reliable (per numerous Car & Driver comparos)

3) I personally didn't find one of the Mallet Bros very personable. (One of my friend's worked for him at one time.) I don't recall if it was Chuck or Lance though, so this #3 is a questionable one at best. I've heard nothing but excellent things about Lingenfelter.

4) Lingenfelter usually seems to do whatever it is first, then Mallet follows. (383, 427, twin-turbos, Superchargers...)

5) Mallet appears to have won a recent shootout at the NCM where the supertuners gathered (according to their website.)

Again, IMHO, I'd feel much more comfortable taking my money out to Lingenfelter in Decatur, IN rather than 2 miles down the road to Mallet. But that's just my opinion.

http://www.mallettcars.com
http://www.lingenfelter.com

Hey, thanks for these replies. I really liked the information Mallett had, but have not really checked out the others as much. Building one of these cars is definitely on the expensive side of "tuner" cars. I'm happy with the stock Z06, but the Mallett car was definitely cool.

I also like the look of lowering the car down from the stock height. Can anyone shed any light on the difference lowering the car makes?

This is a GREAT forum, and again, thanks everyone!

Jeff

I've met Chuck Mallet before, and I have also met John Lingenfelter. Both are very nice to talk to, very personable and very knowlgeable. Mallet doesn't get the mag coverage tht John does. Mallet is more into road racing then drag racing. If I had to put down the coin to buy one, im not sure which I would get. I may get the Mallet just for being a tad bit more exclusive then the LPE car, but thats me.

personally 6, i wouldn't lower the vette. It's already plenty low, and you dont need to be scraping over pebbles while drivin down the road lol.

I've sent numerous emails to LPE askin ?s and the responses are VERY informative, as well as friendly. I've got a few pics of some of the body-kitted Stage I 550s and Stage II 650s from a friend of mine who knows some people @ LPE. Also i'm tryin to get some pics of the TT 427 besides whats in the magazine. But, i've just always had a thing for Lings cars...guess you can tell huh? ;)

But, i dont think you can go wrong w/ either one really. Mallet seems ok, and his cars you dont see many of, but it's not like everyone can afford a 40+k turbo kit either for their C5 from LPE or one of the other tuners. Personally, i'd rather do some of the work myself, but when you start getting into force induction on a SBC....the first name that comes to my mind is Lingenfelter....and if i had the coin to throw down on a modded car, i'd be takin a drive to him.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom