Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mama Knows

• Thread starter Thread starter tlong
  • Start date Start date
Youngsters including kids spend more attention than adults for sports cars . My younger one is 16 and loves anything and everything about the Corvette; including washing / waxing it. My older one is 23 and does not care much about it since he is not allowed to drive it (we had a verbal contract before I bought the car that the kids will not drive that car since it is pretty dangerous). It would be a totally different story if he was allowed to drive the car...

I also see while driving it is most often the kids looking at the car rather than elderly people. It is nice to be young and have dreams. People, when they get older, stop dreaming and somewhat lose their taste for life. Kids have a broad imagination and have wonderful dreams, including Corvettes.

WhalePirot said:
If it helps, I had one and your car is a lot more fun to drive.

Thanks for the uplifting thought.....

Had my first ride in a Vette when I was 12 (sister's boyfriend). It was a black '71 or '72 w/ a 4spd. The look, the sound, the cockpit feel, man...what a rush! I told myself...."someday I'll have a bada$$ black Vette". :eyerole

Dreams do come true! :D

It was my first ride in one that did it for me, 1964 or 65 (9 or 10 years old), the girl that worked for my dad that summer was driving her brothers' (he was in Viet Nam) 63 split window coupe, she let me ride in it with her a few times, much to my parents chagrine (not at the time but later when I wouldn't talk of anything but the Corvette). The love affair had begun. About the time I came to driving age, my best freinds brother bought a 1968 427/435 coupe that was unbelievable, just added fuel to the fire. Another ride in a 65 396 roadster and I knew that I'd have a Corvette some day. When I turned 19 with the Oil embargo in full tilt, my 64 Dodge Polara 500 doing about 10-11 mpg. I knew I had to do something different. Looked at Vega GT's (
ack2.gif
what was I thinking?) for the MPG. A new freind at college was driving a 66 327/350 coupe
coolgleamA.gif
and told me he was getting 20-24 MPG. That was it, I bought my first Corvette, 64 coupe 350/300 (NOM) 4 speed. But a few years later when family obligations came in, the Corvette had to go
angelsad2.gif
. But at that time I told my wife, over and over, "Someday I'm going to have another Corvette". 30 years later, after getting all my children married off and on their own, I fulfilled my dream, and couldn't be happier.

tlong said:
Just sitting at the light waiting to turn right when I hear a little voice getting excited and squealing something like "look, mama!" The mother and her 4 year old son were standing there hand in hand waiting to cross when she said "That's a Corvette, honey." The seed is planted, the die is cast. I wonder when he'll get his first 'vette? Will he go for the classic old C6 or hold out for the new 2025 C9?

All this crossed the mind in 2 seconds. This will never be just a car.

I had a very similar experience just last week. I was out enjoying a beautiful day-just cruising around. Up ahead on my right I see a dad and his young son (about 2-3 years old), playing in the front lawn with the teeniest whiffle ball set I've ever seen. The kid hears me coming and turns to look my way just as his dad is whiffling (?) the ball his way and the ball whiffles (?) right past his head 'cause he's clapping his hands in that special way only little kids can do and grinning and squealin' and waving and pointing. Now his dad is looking and grinning and waving and so am I!!!!!! *sniff* Where's my hankie!?!!!!

I mean, my God, how'd that kid KNOW?!!! He's so little. And you'd think he'd more interested in the crickets jumping around in the yard than me and my Vette. But there he was, squealin' out at the top of his 'lil lungs, "thop!! Thop!!! THOP!!!!!" So I did.

His eyes were big and shiny with wonder. His mouth was fixed for quite a while in an 'O'--even long after he stopped saying, "ooooooooooOOOOOOOO!"
I let him sit in the passenger set while I revved the Vette up hard. Dad got some seat time too, but I'm tellin y'all..., that kid was in my head all day and into the night after that little impromptu visit.

Now THAT kid'll probably have a Vette by the time he's 16. :w

:Steer

I don't have any great early 'Vette memories! :cry

I just have known about 'Vettes as far back as I can remember. My mother didn't like 'Vettes for a long time - so I ended up going for import rice:ugh and Mustangs :( Then, I started liking firebirds and Camaros because of the t-tops . . . Then the 'Vette awakening began! :blue:

I do remember having a Hot Wheels Corvette that I loved dearly . . . and I had a big gray plastic Corvette that I loved as well. I LOVE 'VETTES!!!!! There is no other car in the world that I want!!!!!! LONG LIVE CORVETTES!!!!!!! :_rock :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom