Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Man on the moon: Neil Armstrong's Corvette lands in Daytona

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Man on the moon: Neil Armstrong's Corvette lands in Daytona

By Godwin Kelly
MOTORSPORTS EDITOR
The Daytona Beach News Journal

bilde

DAYTONA BEACH -- Neil Armstrong's beloved 1967 Chevy Corvette has touched down in Daytona Beach, signaling the dawn of a lengthy mission.

The final objective: Return the vehicle to the same condition it was in when the first man to walk on the moon proudly wheeled it around two years before his historic step.

Step 1 in the preservation process was taken Thursday, when a team of experts documented every inch of the sports car, carefully handling it like a giant egg. The group, led by local automobile preservation activist Eric Gill, inspected, photographed and took video of the machine in a modest privately owned shop with a lift.

Full Story: Neil Armstrong's 1967 Chevy Corvette lands in Daytona Beach for a day of research. | News-JournalOnline.com

Full story no longer available. Sorry I missed it. :w

• Admin
Thanks Rob, the link is back up. :w

If I remember correctly, the Ebay price was well above $200,000.00 or did I get that wrong?

Roger

• Admin
Thanks Rob, the link is back up. :w

If I remember correctly, the Ebay price was well above $200,000.00 or did I get that wrong?

Roger
Not sure. I don't remember.

Great story and effort. :thumb

So let me get this straight...the second owner bought it the next day and parked it with all the artifacts inside all this time until February? If so, then he has served the nation's interests superbly. It almost sounds as if the second owner stepped forward to preserve this jewel of American history.

• Admin
  • Admin
Neil Armstrong Corvette heads toward preservation

Here's an update:

Neil Armstrong Corvette heads toward preservation

Hemmings Motor News

Of the dozens of Corvettes famously linked to the astronauts of the moon-shot Sixties, only a handful of documented Apollo-era astronaut-owned ‘Vettes survive, none of them as original as the 1967 Corvette once owned by the late Neil Armstrong. Now, thanks to a new initiative, that Corvette will undergo a preservation effort that will keep it just as Armstrong had it.

Full Story: Neil Armstrong Corvette heads toward preservation | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom