Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Manually shifting Auto transmission

• Thread starter Thread starter Heyspike
  • Start date Start date
H

Heyspike

Is this beating it or just having fun: Lately I've been manually shifting my 86' auto trans..not all the time but when I feel the need for speed. Any problem with this?
Thanks,
John

Nothin' wrong with shifting it for yourself. Just be careful when downshifting; it ain't gonna react like a manual transmission, and you're liable to break it. At the least, you'd shorten it's lifespan.

One thing to always remember with an automatic transmission; heat is its worst enemy. When you work it hard, it will build up heat. ;)

Nothing wrong with occasionally shifting it, I do it too.

It will cause more wear if you keep it up though.

I manuallly shift it every time I drive it (about twice per month). I prefer to keep the car in 2nd gear for around town driving, as I really like to listen to the chambered exhaust system in 2nd. For highway driving 3rd or overdrive is okay, but when slowing down I shift it into 2nd just to hear it make that gargling noise out the back. :)

A friend of mine lent his corvette to his cousin for a couple of days. His cousin was visiting from out of town. Apparently his cousin decided to drive around and downshifted when he was stopping.

At the end of the few days, the car had a horrible engine knock and the engine was replaced.

There were probably other factors, gasoline quality and other things that nobody asked about... I stopped manually changing gears in an automatic after that happened though, no reason to pay for a new engine.

I just stick with manual transmissions now.

I stay in third or overdrive.......If I wanted a stick shift, I would of gotten one......like the Auto myself.....

I agree with Twinray. I have heard that us automagic guys are faster when we let it shift itself anyways

:confusedumm... how in the world do u manually shift an auto???:confused

manual shifting your auto trans is OK. I've done it many time if no problems. When the ice and snow are on the road, I DON"T DRIVE THE VETTE, I've manual shift many times to help slow down and take it out of gear at stop sign. With the 4X4s we manual shift all the time to control RPMs and compression for down hills.
The big thing to remember is to be careful with your down shift, WATCH THE TACH. If you do this a lot just be carefulwith the down shifts , have the trans serviced more often and install a good trans cools.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!!! :beer :beer

I've raced with an auto trans for years off road in Jeeps and actually broke fewer parts with the Auto than with a manual trans. Have Fun

Justin_cv87 said:
:confusedumm... how in the world do u manually shift an auto???:confused

Put the shifter in first, then you push it into second when you want to. Same for third. (you choose the shift points rather than the tranny)

All this does is wind it up farther than it normally would under certain accelerating conditions. I have found that if I leave the shifter in third and put my foot to the floor, it shifts at the points I was manually shifting at, so now I just leave it in drive and let it shift itself, unless I need a little extra punch when at cruising speeds (25-45) and I can pull it into 2nd and punch it for instant torque to get me going.

I have learned with downshifting my 78, that 2nd will help me slow down for turns or to stop, but I BETTER NOT put it into 1st UNLESS I am almost completely at a stop...because it will put anything not belted down into the dash.
Heidi

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom