Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

March Pulley Install

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Okay guys, my jury is still out on this one. I am having Major problems, and I AM NOT HAPPY at the moment.

First of all, I realize that non of these aftermarket kinds of things will always fit right the first time. This long leg design is not preferred for vettes, but works for me for several reasons.

1. I get to use a standard style pwr steering pump with built in resevior (avoids having to mount a resevior on the inner fender).

2. Allows for use with taller valve covers

3. Actually cost less than the single serp belt short leg design.

Why I am unhappy.

1. Kit failed to come with the correct bolts (too short, wrong threads, some missing)-March is rushing me the correct ones.
2. I had to pound the living *&@#! out of the front cross member to clear the extra length of the crank pulley then sand, prime, and repaint the frame (glad I did not have it powder coated after all).
3. Either my balancer is not all the way on, or there is a serious pulley match problem between the water pump and crank. The inner crank pulley hits the back side of the water pump pulley.
4. They sent me belts way too small that won't allow me to set up the accessories on even the minimum adjustment mount.

I hope to get some of this straight today, and or pack the whole thing up and send it back.

You would think that for $1,400 this stuff would almost mount itself.

driver%20view%20pulleys.jpg

front%20view%20pulleys.jpg

I talked to March this a.m. They said they never supply the power steering nut and I am on my own pretty much to find one. They also advised that there are some other adjustments that can be made to stretch the belts in, and my lower balancer may not be 100% in place.

I hate beating on the balancer with a hammer, but my small block balancer tool won't fit the big block.

I guess I am 1/8" to 1/16" off the mark on the balancer.

We will give it another try tonight.

The parts do look good though.

Chris,
This is not the first time I have heard this. I know that March makes great looking stuff, and I started to buy the whole setup as well, if you remember. However, I just talked to too many people who had hasseled with getting it all to line up and a few that had pulleys crack. That's why I stuck with the stock stuff and had it powdercoated. Not quite as sharp, but I know it works. :bang

I hope you get it worked out. The setup looks GREAT! :_rock

Sorry to hear Chris! I have March pulleys on my truck, they are the steel black ones though. I havent had a problem with them as of fittment or anything. Is it just the billet ones that are having problems?

I just got back from the speed shop in town and picked up a nice balancer puller/installer that also fits BB chevy. The one I had only fit the SB as the size of the fine thread crank bolt is smaller on the SB than the BB.

Anyway, I also picked up a new balancer. I will prime, paint, clear coat the new balancer and pull the old one off. I guess if I get the balancer back another 1/16", move the power steering pulley up, and a few other details, then I will be there.

Overall, they are nice looking parts and better quality than the ones I installed on another motor a couple of years ago. The instructions could be made much more clear, and that would help a ton.

I think it is going to be alright. I just hope I did not damage my crank when I whacked the balancer to try to move it back some more last night:nono

I will most likely sell my other SBC balancer tool since the one I bougth today does both.

Anybody interested?

Quick update.

Got a new balancer and tool. Changed it out, and the new balancer slides far enough back to make it work. Everything seems to be right at the momement. I am much happier than a few days ago.

In fact, I dropped the radiator with cooling fans in last night, and eventhough I am long legged on the water pump now, it fits fine.

However, I ran into a new problem. My upper radiator inlet is right at the a/c compressor clutch! I have to check into getting it cut and welded at a different angle today.

Turns out the nut for the power steering pump was there all along. At the moment I can't say anything bad about March Pulleys. The quality of these parts is superior to what I was dealing with the last time I installed a March pulley set.

Obviously life would have been easier to go with the single serpentine belt design, but it would have cost much more money and left me looking for a place to mount the power steering resevior.

Getting closer!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom