Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Max LT4 Horse Power

1996 LT4 Topic
450 HP, Grand Sport Callaway SuperNatural

I've got a picture of it in my archives, I'll post it tonight.
Taken last year at a show in Rhode Island.
I was just in a show this weekend, where he was in the same modified class as me. didn't think to snap anymore

supernatural400 said:
I've got a picture of it in my archives, I'll post it tonight.
Taken last year at a show in Rhode Island.
I was just in a show this weekend, where he was in the same modified class as me. didn't think to snap anymore

Super . . . when u get a chance . . . let's see that pic.

There was a guy on the GS Registry that was working towards 400 rwhp. He sold the car, but last I heard, he was at 380 something at the rear wheels. that's in the neighborhood of 450bhp. That was with bolt-on's and some head work I think. We was convinced that to reach his 400 rwhp goal, he was going to have to stroke the motor.

Instead of pulling the motor and stroking it, he sold the car and bought a 2002 Z06, which he is having converted into a droptop.:upthumbs

Jason

Usually 2-3 dyno runs or "pulls" will cost around $75-$100 depending on the shop. But if you go when they are hosting a "dyno day" with many cars, they will usually do something like 2 pulls for $25-$35.

Since we are on the subject of HP, my son just bought a new 2002 BMW M3 with a 6 speed, and the advertised HP on this car with only a SIX CYLINDER ENGINE is 332 HP. He also said that next year this same car will have over 400+ HP. There are NO turbos or superchargers on this engine, and it doesn't have a "1 to 4 " shift either, and the price is of this car was LESS then the Z06. My question is....Why is the HP rating so low on the LT4(in respect to the M3) with a much bigger engine(V8 compared to a 6Cyl)? I would like to see a new Z06 that will be a real "FIRE BREATHER" and be able beat the VIPER convincingly. All this on pump gas with NO 1 to 4 shift. I know I'm asking alot.

That is 333hp at 7900 rpm, 262 torque at 4900. More than likely, a dyno graph will be very peaky. Where an LT1/LS1/L98 is making decent torque at 2000 rpm (and acceleration), this thing won't be able to get out of its own way at 3400 lbs.

Another car with a motorcycle engine.

Car manufacturers know that horsepower sells, so they make engines with big HP, and lower torque... Also, 6 cyl. Vs. 8 cyl. really means nothing... you can get a V-8 that fits in the palm of your hand, and a 6 cyl. that is bigger than an entire car

Hondo, first remember we are talking about a 1996 LT-4 vs. a 2002 BMW M3.....the Vette offered that power rating six years earlier in production. Secondly, the LT-4 was actually underrated by GM intentionally, not to cause any problem with the upcoming (at that time) LS1 , rated at 345 hp. In actuality, the two (LT-4 & LS1) dyno nearly identically on average (except newer, 01/02 LS1's are now a bit stronger , ~10 rwhp). Third , although the BMW six (3.2 L, I think) is rated about the same as the GM V-8 (5.7 L), this does not give you the real world feel for how and where each engine makes its power.

As stated earlier in the thread, the BMW makes its peak power at much higher rpm , because with its much smaller engine displacement , it must rev more to make as much. Because of this , again as has been stated, lower in the rev range it would possitively get stomped by the Vette's larger LT-4. The BMW is a much more efficient design and extracts much more power from its smaller size , but cubic inches (or liters if you prefer) make up the difference for the old pushrod LT-4 .

Both of these cars are actually quite close in a quarter mile sprint , both being stock . Typical LT-4 Vettes weigh around 3350 full of all fluids and dyno around 295-300 rwhp and thus run the 1/4 in approx 13.2-3@107-8mph (all stock on street tires). The new M3' s weigh in around 3450 full of fluids and will run about the same 1/4 mile time and trap speeds indicating it probably dynos in the 300-310+ range.

This indicates that BMW , too , underrates its M3........the BMW has a HUGE gearing advantage which does much to equalize its lack of lower rpm power. The BMW is actually priced almost identically to a new '02 Z06 and that is really a much more fair comparison. It is also one in which the BMW is completely trounced in any type of straightline speed contest (typical 02 Z06's weigh around 3125 and dyno 350-60+rwhp, you can do the math....)

Sorry for the book but hope it helps.......

Shriker,Vette, and Rcdk,

Thanks for the info. This does clear up a few of the cobwebs.

Hondo said:
Shriker,Vette, and Rcdk,

Thanks for the info. This does clear up a few of the cobwebs.

I say you and your son take the cars out to the track and have a friendly father vs. son shootout!

I'm a big fan of the LT4 and hope to own one someday. I think that dollar for dollar, it's one of the top engines out there for any car, period!

Edmond,
I already suggested that. Our wifes are up in arms over this, so we have to do it without them knowing one of these days.
Like you, I think my LT4 is a great engine, but wouldn't mind adding a few more ponies.

. . . adding a few more ponies.

Hondo said:
Edmond,
Like you, I think my LT4 is a great engine, but wouldn't mind adding a few more ponies.

Sounds like you might be a future Supernatural Candidate :cool

Honestly,

I've been reading into an LT4 one day that has the Lingenfelter 383 package. The cost is about $15,000. That seems like a lot at first, but LT4's can be had for about $15,000 (or somewhere in that area) and that adds up to $30,000. Just think of the performance that you get for that kind of money.

Here's the quote that I took directly off the Lingenfelter site:

1992 - 1996 Corvette LT1 & LT4
383 CID engine package

440 BHP / 430 lbs-ft of torque - LT1
450 BHP / 430 lbs-ft of torque - LT4

Package includes:
• Engine removal, inspection and disassembly
• Custom forged aluminum pistons - 10.8:1
• Custom forged steel crankshaft - 3.750" stroke
• Billet steel connecting rods - 5.850" length
• File fit plasma moly piston rings
• Computer balanced rotating assembly
• CNC porting & polishing of cylinder heads
• Ported and polished intake manifold
• LPE valve springs and lightweight valve spring retainers
• Stainless steel intake/exhaust valves
• Three angle valve job, set correct spring tensions & heights
• Custom designed LPE hydraulic roller camshaft
• Competition Cams stainless steel full roller rocker arms 1.6:1 ratio
• Professional installation, testing and tuning
• Stainless steel exhaust by Borla
• 58 mm billet aluminum throttle body
• K&N Air filter and cleaning kit
• Chassis dyno testing after installation
• LPE’s 2 year / 24,000 mile warranty

1992 - 1996 Corvette package prices
LT1 Manual transmission $14,320.00
LT4 Manual transmission $14,320.00
Heavy duty automatic transmission rebuild $1,850.00**

*Includes automatic transmission shift improvements and higher stall torque converter. ** Some applications may benefit from a higher stall torque converter. Please ask your salesperson for details.

50 state emission legal 1993-1997 EO # D-333-13 & D333-16

Normal installation time required: 4-5 weeks with prior notification.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom