Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Meth injection for 2016 ZO7

Izzy1000

Corvette
2016 C7 ZO7
Has anyone installed Meth injection in their ZO6? If you have is there a significant difference in power?

My car does not overheat but I do notice a significant difference when the outside Temp is below 60. Since I live in California we have very few days where the day temp is in the 50s or lower. My plan was to add meth injection to cool the air prior to it reaching the combustion chamber.

2 words to remember: thermal and shock. Introducing water or a solvent on carbureted engines was easy, and hard (but not impossible)to get it really, really wrong. I think it's going to be a lot more difficult on a closed F.I. system. If you have the skills, try it and let us know how it turns out. I'm sure some drag racers have tried it. Maybe some help there.

2 words to remember: thermal and shock. Introducing water or a solvent on carbureted engines was easy, and hard (but not impossible)to get it really, really wrong. I think it's going to be a lot more difficult on a closed F.I. system. If you have the skills, try it and let us know how it turns out. I'm sure some drag racers have tried it. Maybe some help there.

Thank you for replying.

Alkycontrol makes a unit for all the C7 vetts. They claim an increase of about 60 HP. It seems like a significant amount but I know very little about meth injection. I like keeping my cars stock. But this ZO7 does lose HP under certain conditions. I am trying to find a shop, in Orange County that has already installed these kits on a Vett. I will do it in the next few weeks and will let you know the results.

You might be better off updating your supercharger to the '17-'19 "Big Lid" configuration. There's a pretty significant improvement in charge air cooling with that.

The problems with methanol injection for a high-performance street car are:
Cost
Installation work
Tuning
Short duration solution, ie: you always have to fill the meth tank and you need a ready supply of methanol.

Methanol injection is a great mod for racing. I'm not sure it's a great solution for long-term street use.

I'm in the process of installing a Snow system on my 2017 Z06. On a 90* day I went from 133 mph down to 121 after heat soak. 2017s definitely have a problem. And I have an aftermarket heat exchanger. Also run my fan before and during a pass.

I have a couple of friends that installed meth and their MAT came down significantly using even just water. Snow says that you can use the same tune if you run -20* Blue washer fluid.

Depending on how often you go WOT and size nozzle as to how long it lasts. They say about 1 gallon to a tank of fuel. Not too bad at $2.99/g at Tractor Supply.

As a long time Meth adict I think they are a must on any boosted car. I run a big double kit on my 87 Grand National with a stage motor and big turbo. So after I picked this Z up first thing I did was ordered Julios Alkycontrol kit for it. Can’t say anything yet about actual numbers, I’ve had the car 3 weeks and had 3 dry days but I feel safer running with it. I’m not one of those mixers I use pure meth Which is the way I do it in my Buick, never an issue. Why buy anything other than pure meth, no water no soap additives or windshield washer fluid. I will keep you posted on the charge temps when I get to the track and performance increases.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom