Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! Mid - America car cover disaster

Crazed headlights

I have seen it and had happen to my vette. Luckly under the warranty. Its called crazing or delaminating on the inside of your lenses. It is covered under your bumper to bumper but not under the extended warranty. The headlights go for about $1000 each from GM. You can get them cheaper used. You have to take the front (nose) bumper off. They are bolted to the nose. Its easy, ask any body shop that has popped the nose off. Good luck. PS , it had nothing to do with your cover..

The only owner generated lens problem I've heard of is installation the cling-on "lens protector" that sometimes cause the "crazing" shown in the picture. Blaming any car cover is a pretty big stretch, but you never know.

Blaming any car cover is a pretty big stretch,
Yeah,Your right!~!!:thumb
They "ALL" do it,Don't matter if it a Toyoyo,Mazda,KIA,Ford,Chrysler,GM or any other manufacturer,If they are Plastic,Their going to start crazing 3-8 years depending exposure to Elements,Heat and Ultra Violet Light and Extremities their of!~!!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Lens crazing is caused by heat cycling.

So, here's what we've got~

1. DRL's are on all the time and they get warm. (Unless you turn them off, like I do.) They've been known to get warm enough to melt/distort the plastic ABS connector, causing failure.

2. I'm not familiar with the "Typhoon" cover specifically, but I do have a cheap cover for my car in the garage. If the Typhoon cover is stretched tightly over the lenses while sitting in the sun, would it heat the lenses enough to cause crazing? Does this sound plausible? I don't know what the "threshold" is for crazing on these lenses, but it seems some people have met it.

3. I can see the crazing being a recall issue since it would be "safety" related. Well, maybe not as the lamps still work, only thru crazed lenses. NHTSB might/might not help here.

1 thing we can agree on. @ $970 apiece, they aren't cheap!:eyerole

Why attack MAM?

I can understand making a statement to warn folks of an issue, but the manufacturer of the cover should be the one to contact not the retailer, unless it was a MAM made product.

I personally have never had an issue with MAM , I just don't understand why the OP feels they are responsable for the issue.

It has NOTHING to do with car covers. I am on my 2nd set on my 2007. no my replacements are having the same issue again. I never used a car cover.Everyone complains about excess litigation in the USA until they have to pay for something. Then comes the blame game. Suck it up and pay to have it fixed

You do realize this thread is almost 9 years old, right? :L But your answer is still appropriate. :thumb

It has NOTHING to do with car covers. I am on my 2nd set on my 2007. no my replacements are having the same issue again. I never used a car cover.Everyone complains about excess litigation in the USA until they have to pay for something. Then comes the blame game. Suck it up and pay to have it fixed

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom