Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Minor Fixes

Always a good idea...

to keep the originals. ;)
I wish we had the original radio and its face plate intact, along with the original engine! Boy, I wish I knew where that went! Oh well, if wishes were horses, I'd be riding every day!

Silver

That is what makes it so hard to change things on this vette... everything is original.. I will have stats later.. as soon as I am fully filled in :)

Original 454 engine, distributor, paint job (which is still BRIGHT red... well maintained.. :) ).

Minor Fixees

In answer to the first question, the arm rest and door panel have to com off. There is a group of pieces in there that compose the linkage to lock and open the door. Small clips hold the pieces together. In the assembly manual the linkage is exploded out to show where the clips belong. If they have come off they will be laying in the bottom of the door panel.
My '79 has an AM/FM cassette as original equipment. Took the unit to a local radio shop and had the unit rebuilt. I was told that a later model cassette deck could be installed within the original case and all would be restored. Since then I have upgraded all four speakers in the car and it rocks. In a small enclosed area like that good speakers make all the difference. No pre-amps or big woofers are required.
:Twist

Thanks for more information on the door lock.

We are going to buy the manuals and other misc. books for this vette.

As for the radio, I plan to upgrade the speakers, and also to the cd player.. I don't need subs or anything, cause I don't plan to go "bumpin'" down the road.. I would rather have the radio off and listen to my car purr.. :)

But I do want to have good sound quality... just cause I love music :)

Well I have picked out my cd player and speakers.. and I might as well get some new speaker wire ran... just cause.

After the Street Hot Rod show today, we had to pick up a radar detector.. cause my buddy just got a new z28.. so well ya it is a must :)

The new brakes and everything will be done this next Saturday, and after that it will be out my Garage.. :)

so expect pictures.. and a full introduction soon :)

Well I got the car home, Saturday the brakes were done... now it needs a tune up.

I would have pictures to post today.. but it rained actually stormed all night last night. So we did some cosmetic checks and.. made a to do list..

we have to take out the seats to fix the seat belts. I have to re-wire the cassette player.. the front bumper needs bondo'ed... etc.. minor cosmetics.. :)

but hopefully today we will get it insured and the license plate so we can take it to get a tune up and everything :)

When you venture out in search for a battery take a look at the Optima batteries. They are supposed to have the ability to be stored for something like a year without having a charger on them. That way if you use a disconnect for the battery you won't come out after a long winter and find that the eletrolite has settled to the bottom and killed your battery.

The longest the battery will be sitting is for the winter months here in Indiana.

I do need to find a new battery.. but I need to fix the radio, because the guy that installed it for my uncle .. kind of *hot wired* it.. or I was told. So that is why it is draining the battery or I am guessing.. cause taking out the fuse does not help lol.

but since I am going to put in a CD player I will try to do it right.. and get a better that detects that if possible.. or one with a switch :)

I tried to put the door lock piece on the drivers side last night.. and that little buggier just will not go on..

No radio should pull so much current to maintain its memory that it kills the charge on a car battery. A standard 9-volt will keep the memory for weeks. But reguardless of whether or not the stereo kills the battery, if you store a vehicle for the winter (say 4 months) without a maintenance charger on it you will most likely find a dead unchargable battery in the spring. The chemistry of a conventional lead-acid battery is meant to be active, discharging and charging constantly. Just keep that in mind or when the snow melts you'll be out battery shopping, again.

Yah I figured the battery should not kill the battery in a week period..

might have to go through and check everything that is connected to the battery... to see what it might be..

but I am just going to order that piece that is a switch to shut off the battery.. and turn it on..

then order this piece that plugs into the lighter and runs on a 9volt alkaline battery for the memory :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom