Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Missing Pipe

D

Dandylion Deb

Hello all Corvette owners, and Corvette owner wannabees! I just recently purchased my first Corvette, a 1984, and I am excited as heck to finally own one. It has a great engine and a new paint job, but the interior needs lots of work. I think one of the previous owners left the top off during a rain as the interior shows signs of water damage. But, thats the fun of having the car. I'm making it mine!

Whats really exciting is that this is the first car I have ever purchased on my own and actually have my name on the title. (My ex was always in charge of the family cars!) But, I am also kinda new to auto "fix up" and I'm just taking it one step at a time, doing lots of research. This forum has been a great source of information since I discovered it.

Now for the dumb question of the day...

Click on Gallery at the top of this page, then click on 1984-1996 in the Categories, then 1984 in Subcategories. Enlarge the picture of the 1984 L83 engine 1. Okay...right in the middle of the picture is a silver pipe leading from under the air filter housing going down...what is that pipe called so I can replace the one that is missing from my car?

Please be patient with me, I know you all are having a good laugh right about now, but by next year, I'll know what I'm doing!
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for all the information you have already given me in this forum.

Debbie

Debbie,

Welcome to CAC.

That is just a heat riser pipe. It directs warm/hot air off the exhaust manifold and routes it into the air box to help warm up the intake to warm the engine up faster.

Dandylion Deb said:
Now for the dumb question of the day...

Please be patient with me, I know you all are having a good laugh right about now, but by next year, I'll know what I'm doing!
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for all the information you have already given me in this forum.

Debbie

Hey you start off like everyone else when they start with cars they know nothing. But wait a year you'll be surprised as to how much you learn

welcome.......and dont worry i've been here a couple of days and people here are helpful

Welcome

Hi Congrats on becoming a Vette person. The people in here are great. I think you will really enjoy being a member of this group. Remember there ain't no dumb questions just people to dumb or proud to ask. Lottsa luck with the new ride. Charlie:w :upthumbs

Welcome Debbie,
don't worry, I'm a corvette owner who knows less than you do about 'vettes!
The people here are very nice and helpful, and if you ask a dumb question, they are usually polite enough not to point it out... well, except maybe Ken;)
Tammy

69MyWay said:
Debbie,

Welcome to CAC.

That is just a heat riser pipe. It directs warm/hot air off the exhaust manifold and routes it into the air box to help warm up the intake to warm the engine up faster.

Is that pipe needed or can she do without it?

Debbie,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. I think that one of the first things you should pick up are one of the manuals on basic repair. I find mine extremely helpful most of the time. They're only about $15 or so and a great investment.

Thanks to all for your help and for your understanding. I went over to my local GM dealer and, unfortunately, that particular pipe is discontinued. So, now I am on a hunt for a replacement. But, no despair, I know I will find one out there!

Thanks again!
Debbie

Missing Heat riser Pipe

Debbie,

My 84 is missing this peice as well, but haven't noticed any problems with performance.

Let me know if you find one and how much it was. I'd like to find also.

Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom