Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mix & Match Tires?

I don't get it.

Signed,
Blonde AND A Girl

They are many different brands of oils (Pennzoil, Mobil1, Castroil, Quaker State, etc.) in different classifications (synthetic , non synthetic), using different formulas (5W-30, 10W-30, 30W, 40W, 50W.....etc.)

They're all oil, and can undoubtedly be mixed together, but under normal circumstances......it wouldn't be advisable.

I have a slightly different issue. Saturday, I had a front GY hit a boulder some kids through in the roadway just before I got there, and when the guy in front of me swerved to avoid it, there it was headed for my undercarriage. I swerved, but it got the front tire and also apparently hit the back. 20 seconds later I got a message that the right front was flat. When I got to the tire store and we looked at it the sidewall was a total loss. I did not see any damage to the back one, and the DIC wouldn't let me get beyond the warning on the front one to see how the rear was holding. I have 13.5K miles on the tires. A new GY will cost me about $400 when all is said and done. Can't tell if the rim got damaged inside but the edge outside looked ok. I toyed with just switching to a pair of Kumhos [for the front to keep the mileage even] which had some good ratings from Vette owners and are half as much as the GYs, but I finally decided to just replace the one bad front tire with another GY. Should I have done it the other way? My deductible was $200 on a road hazard. I also plan to have the undercarriage and front fascia looked at when they get the tire in and it goes up on a lift, and to have the alignment checked, but it seemed to handle ok after the hit.
Sounds like a good reason to stay with thr run flats too!

If you like driving on rocks. Anyone who likes runflats needs only to drive a non-runflat equipted vehicle, it's like night and day.

If you like driving on rocks. Anyone who likes runflats needs only to drive a non-runflat equipted vehicle, it's like night and day.
I'm just not brave enough to do that I guess:eek:hnoes

I'm just not brave enough to do that I guess:eek:hnoes

Me either - especially after having driven almost 1,000 miles on a nearly-flat runflat, with no ill effects (long story involving TMS dead battery). If anyone complains about the ride, they can walk. ;LOL

It all depends...Brand X in front with Brand Y in back may work while not the other way around (assuming correct sizes of course). Probably won't matter under everyday (commuting, grocery shopping, etc) conditions but could be dangerous under adverse weather or driving conditions.

Since Pinky is still contributing to this thread, I'll leave out my usual obligatory comments about a thread resurrection :chuckle

To directly answer your original question, YES, you can have Michelin's on the back and GY's up front.

My 2¢... unless you are doing a very specific application such as autocross or track racing, mixing front to rear shouldn't cause you any problems. Mixing tires left-to-right isn't advised, but other than that, it shouldn't be a problem. Ideally, you'll want to have the same tire make/model at each corner for general, all around driving. But if you don't, it's highly unlikely that you or your car will notice or care.

Since this is still an active topic, here's my .02.

I don't like the road feel or the the traction of the OEM runflats.
Just about any tire you can find will have a better ride and traction coefficient than the runflats. So, really, anything else you put on will, if nothing else, have a positive effect. My choice was to replace all 4 tires with Kuhmo ASX at the comparable price of just 2 runflats. Only the rears were worn, but I didn't care about having a 1/2 worn pair of tires on the front. Especially since the new ones handle so much better than the runflats. The front tires are where you feel the road 99% of the time, so why not have the better tires on the front?
Unfortunately, the rears wear twice as fast as the fronts, so the choice of replacing the rears presents itself twice as often.
Next time, get rid of the OEM runflats altogether. You won't believe the difference in the ride, handling, and road noise.

very true, there is an incredible difference in handling. These are performance vehicles, so why not run the rubber that performs best. I could care less about a flat, I've got a cell phone, no big deal. The price of runflats is also a joke when they are outperformed by cheaper tires.

Just replaced my rear GY's F1 run flats with GY's F1 non-run flats. 1/2 the price and twice the performance. The thread design is identical so I don't think there will be any traction problems. I can tell you that I did notice the difference between the old and new tires. The non flat tires seam to stick better on takeoff and in turns, they are much quieter and smoother during regular driving. Like most run flat users I was afraid of switching to non r/f tire. Expecting heavy rains in my area and the rears being bold I was forced to get what was available. Luckly the dealer had the same tire in a non r/f for half the price, since the specs were identical I decided to take a chance. Now I like them so much I'm going to switch the fronts eaven thoe they are only about 25% worn.

JNow I like them so much I'm going to switch the fronts even though they are only about 25% worn.
If they are only about 25%, you can likely eBay 'em and get a decent penny for 'em. I've sold used tires on ebay on multiple occasions and it has worked out pretty well!

Even though the point could be made that mixing brand tires is not the best case senerio and while most of us may not even notice to difference I for one will stay with a matched set front & rear. And as far as run flats I have driven Vettes with not run flats and there is a noticible difference in the road noise and ride, to me is wasn't by no means night and day. I will stay with the added insurance of the run flats. put up with the extra noise and firmer ride and getting at least to civilization to get help or if noting else get off the highway or even home to worry about the next day.

This is my story and I am sticking to it, but to each their own I always say.

Bill

after having driven almost 1,000 miles on a nearly-flat runflat, with no ill effects

This is what I'm talk'n about, try that with a non run flat. . . . . . . again I will live with the rougher ride and road noise but give me RUN FLATS. They have gotten too many people home when there is nothing open on the open high ways and by ways!!!

Mu 2centsworthmaybemore,

Bill

after having driven almost 1,000 miles on a nearly-flat run flat, with no ill effects

This is what I'm talk'n about, try that with a non run flat.

No one can argue that one can drive on run flats with 0-pressure. They are design to Run Flat, but to do it for a 1,000 miles??? How can one not notice the low pressure alarm or reduced power, 1,000 miles at 50 or less MPH?

You are absolutely wright that a run flat tire provides unsurpassed safety, especially when there is a pressure failure at higher rate of speed. On the other hand none r/f tires are quieter, smoother and produce better traction. Until someone produces a tire that is a r/f and has same characteristics as a non r/f, one has to compromise and chose safety or comfort/performance. Can't have both. Due to my procrastination I was forced to put none r/f on the rear. I was surprised on the difference in ride they made. Now I have none r/f all the way around. Where I drive my car I'm always with in less than 30 minute AAA service call, so the safety aspect is not so important to me. Both types of tire have good features and one has to decide what is more important. They are both good.:beer

That is my 2 cents worth.:bu
Zig.

No one can argue that one can drive on run flats with 0-pressure. They are design to Run Flat, but to do it for a 1,000 miles??? How can one not notice the low pressure alarm or reduced power, 1,000 miles at 50 or less MPH?

You are absolutely wright that a run flat tire provides unsurpassed safety, especially when there is a pressure failure at higher rate of speed. On the other hand none r/f tires are quieter, smoother and produce better traction. Until someone produces a tire that is a r/f and has same characteristics as a non r/f, one has to compromise and chose safety or comfort/performance. Can't have both. Due to my procrastination I was forced to put none r/f on the rear. I was surprised on the difference in ride they made. Now I have none r/f all the way around. Where I drive my car I'm always with in less than 30 minute AAA service call, so the safety aspect is not so important to me. Both types of tire have good features and one has to decide what is more important. They are both good.:beer

That is my 2 cents worth.:bu
Zig.[/quote

Point well taken Zig, but I will stick with the run flats. I am sure all the things you say are true enough but I still like the added insurance of the run flats. Life is full of trade-offs and I guess I am glad this is one of those things in life that we still have a choice in. AAA is one thing but they still have to take the tire off on the road or load up you machine on a roll back or something and I am not sure I like that idea too much. I would rather deal with a situation like this in a garage some place. So half power, alarms going off tells me the system works at least ;shrug

Have a great day, and a better tomorrow.
Bill :w

Just to clarify - I didn't say they had 0 pressure. The actual pressure was between 20-18 psi. The "low tire pressure" monitor went off - once - but the IDIOTIC dealership when I bought the car said it was just the monitor battery failing (obviously they didn't even check the tire). There was a nail in the tire so the leak was somewhat sealed, it took a while for it to lose enough pressure that I finally checked it myself.

But nevertheless I will probably stick with the runflats just because of that experience.

Just to clarify - I didn't say they had 0 pressure. The actual pressure was between 20-18 psi. The "low tire pressure" monitor went off - once - but the IDIOTIC dealership when I bought the car said it was just the monitor battery failing (obviously they didn't even check the tire). There was a nail in the tire so the leak was somewhat sealed, it took a while for it to lose enough pressure that I finally checked it myself.

Pinky, I oficialy exonerate you for driving on a nearly flat tire!:m Don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming run flats. I'm merly stating my personal observation. Bouth types of tire are very good. It is a personal choice and ultematly a compromise betwean ride comfort or safety insurance from being stranded. The choice is yours and either choice is OK.:grouphug:
Zig.

PS: Hope the dealer didn't get you for a new sensor?

Of course a tire manufacturer would never advise to run miss matches because thay want to sell tires.

Although I tend to agree with your statement, there might be other reasons a mfg might recommend against mixing tire types. Here is an excerpt fram an email I received from Michelin, asking if I could safely mix Michelin Pilot Sport on the rear with Pilot Sport PS2 on the front (the non-PS2 have a greater tire size selection).
"Thank you for your email. We appreciate your interest in Michelin tires.

We do not recommend mixing the tread designs of the Michelin Pilot Sport and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. On ultra-high performance vehicles like your Corvette, mixing tread designs can cause problems with the vehicles handling and overall performance."
Maybe this is their standard answer, composed by company lawyers, but then again, maybe not. ;shrug

We do not recommend mixing the tread designs of the Michelin Pilot Sport and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. On ultra-high performance vehicles like your Corvette, mixing tread designs can cause problems with the vehicles handling and overall performance."
All things considered, it's correct. Tire compounds and tread pattern each impact the handling characteristics and abilities of the tire. As far as your car is concerned, the road composition under the front tires is the same as that in the rear. Having mixed tires on the car will cause the car, or more so you, to have different tendencies.
  • Example: going through or into a high-speed corner. Different tires are going to adhere to that corner differently, which could potentially cause the car to understeer, oversteer, or simply break free with little notice. Say the front tires are stickier than the rear. Whoosh! Out goes the rear end.
  • Example: hitting standing water at speed...Tread pattern will dictate how the water is channeled from under the tires. If the tires are not channeling water the same or at the same rate, you could potentially cause a loss of control because one set will be hydroplaning ever so slightly more than the others.
  • Example: going between extreme climate changes. Tread compounds react differently to temperatures. As they become hard or softer depending on their resilience to temperature, this will directly impact their ability to perform as expected. It's the reason you don't run max performance tires in cold/snowy weather. The tire compound isn't formulated to be used in that temperature range. Very similar to brake pads. Some work better after they've been heated. Others work better when cool. Same thing with tires.
In fact, you could also make a direct comparison to brake pads. You wouldn't think of putting different pads Left-Right on the car because of the pad interface with the rotor. Same thing as the tires interfacing with the road.
Can you run different pads at the corners? Sure. Just as you can run different tires at the corners. But just because ya can doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Tire manufactures recommend what is safest for the car or intended driving style. Selling you the wrong product won't help to make you a repeat customer. Destroyed cars and dead people don't offer much in the way of repeat business. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom