Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mobil's misleading advertising

bluecoupe

Corvette
former C3&C5- future C7 when jr's college is paid
Has anyone noticed that the new Mobil Oil tv commercial for its Mobil Clean 5000 oil features a C6 covertible? Both Mobil and GM recommend using Mobil 1 (or GM's version of Mobil 1) full synthetic oil in a 2005 Corvette. That type of misleading advertising irks me.:mad

I saw that commercial yesterday and couldn't believe they would use a C6 in a commercial for non-synthetic oil.

Boneheads!

Mobil 1 has consistently lied about their product. I have been repairing cars and trucks since the late 1960's. I have seen all of the advertising that Mobil 1 has done. I have also seen all of the advertising that the other oil makers did. Non-synthetic and synthetic. Mobil 1 has NEVER told the truth about their oil.

I know that some people are really sold on Mobil 1. I would like to ask those people if they ever receive ANY consideration (read money!) for pushing the Mobil 1 products!

I believe their products now are competitive with the other products available to us. One just has to be very careful no matter what product one is buying. One needs to research the product and make the best choice based on what is known about that product.

Save The Wave! :w

let me just ask a simple question, and let the information and or flames begin (this on the topic of truth in advertising):

Is Mobil 1 composed of 100% synthetic oil - i.e., is it true to say, or to imply, that it is a fully synthetic oil?

When Mobil 1 first came out, it was NOT 100% synthetic oil. They had a small asterisk (*) on the front of the container after the word synthetic. You had to look at the back of the container to find the asterisk and to see what it meant.

Next to the asterisk on the back it said: * exclusive of petroleum carrier oil

Now, Mobil 1 is 100% synthetic.

Most everyone is making a blend now. Mobil 1 started out as a blend. They never told anyone it was a blend except for the asterisk on the container.

Talk about small print! :L

The marketing department is betting on consumer ignorance over fact. They picked the WROOONG car. Too many savy Vette owners out there.:)

A couple years ago Mobil filed suit with the other oil companys about the word "synthetic" Mobil1 was not using a petrol based oil and it was ****ed that the other companys were (Car and Driver Mag) Mobil lost in court and I think that is why they are doing this now. Please don't make me go thru all my C&D mags to look for the info I don't feel like doing that..

Mobil can do pretty much what they want to with the Corvette image - you don't see GM complaining. They are a major cross marketing "partner" of GM. They pay lots of money for their brand to be seen side by side with the Vette. Among other things they are a major sponsor (underwriter) of the C5R/C5R racing efforts. That makes their actions understandable, but not right.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom