Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mod Man here-need your opinion

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Okay, I figured out how to put delay wipers in the 69. So far, what I have done with Ken's help is fuse a 1980 style wiper motor and electric washer pump into a wire harness of a 1984-1989 wiper switch. I did this because the C4 switch has the delay timer built in, and it lights up cool.

Here is the tricky part, and I may not be able to really describe this without pictures. I have a couple of options for the switch mount. It is a little larger than the factory C3 switch and thus will not fit in the original location. I have three choices.

1. Cut, machine, fudge the original mount location to squeeze it in. The knob will face straight down but can easily be accessed. You won't be able to see the nice back lit face this way.

2. Reconfigure the ashtray with a solid aluminum lid, relocate the cig lighter (I don't smoke so it would just be for accesory power), and mount the switch flush with the back lit face right next to the vintage air control head.

3. Tear off the vinyl from the door panel. Custom build and fiberglass in a nice little bump out on the panel above the window crank area to mount the switch, and the power door look switch, the have the trim shop cover it all back up.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas? Refresh my memory how the 78-82 vettes have the wiper switch.

Oh, I also figured out a brilliant way to operate the electric powered wiper door using a "normally closed" relay, and a headlight control module like you find on a 88-96 Vette. When the wipers are turned on, the normally closed switch opens, breaking down power, and energizing up power to raise the wiper door. When the wipers park and all power drops off the motor, the normally closed switch goes back to closed and the module tells the door to close...........The only trick is making sure that during the delay mode that the door does not think it is suppose to close.

Yep, Your definitly the Man with this one, or the Mod Man I should say:D
But Sorry Chris,
Your out of my range with almost all of it.
I will say that instictivly I feel :
"1. Cut, machine, fudge the original mount location to squeeze it in. The knob will face straight down but can easily be accessed. You won't be able to see the nice back lit face this way. "

Would be the way to do it.
Can you Show a pic?
TC

my69

our 82 vette has intermittent wipers and switch is mounted right under the headlight switch you might want to consider this setup

topless82vette said:
my69

our 82 vette has intermittent wipers and switch is mounted right under the headlight switch you might want to consider this setup

Thanks for refreshing the old memory banks. No, I can't put it there as my dash panel have too much curvature below the headlight switch.

I am leaning more to option one or three.

I really wanted to mount it inside the column like any other car, but the Shark column cover is metal there and is not large enough to house the extra switch.

Chris,
I am for being able to see the lighted switch.. Can You mount it on the center console?? If not I opt for option #2 and do away with the cig lighter since you don't smoke.. Good luck with your decision. OOPs I forgot about radar detectors leave the cig. lighter..

Roy

We looked at it in depth on Saturday while tinkering with some other things.

Eventhough we don't smoke, we think the ashtray/cig lighter is in a good spot. I am replacing it with a better quality receiver that will hook the cell phone charger etc. better. I am prewiring the car for a radar detector right up on the windshield frame.

We think what is going to be the stink is to build up the driver door panel to hold it kind of like an 84-89 so that I can enjoy the lighted face, and be easy to reach.

This means that I will have to grind/shave/fill, and smooth the center section top portion to eliminate the textured wiper words and groove for the old wiper switch.

I have a keyless entry/alarm system coming for the car now. So, as I squeeze all this stuff in I have to make room. Looks like the engine computer will tuck away very nice on the back side of the map pocket, still looking for a suitable place for the extra power fuse source. Not sure if it is going to work yet, but I also ordered some universal fit trunk release actuators. I am looking into putting those on the convertible deck lid so that with the remote in my hand I can pop the top loose, fold it forward, then pop the lid open all with a touch of a button. Not like it has not been done before in almost every car built after 1984, but it is fun putting it where it never belonged to be.

Thanks for your ideas.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom